• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet selection

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
I am purchasing bullets to test and start doing load development in my 338 lapua. Right now my list of bullets to test are LeHigh 245 Grain Solids, GS Customs 295 grain solids, and Lapua 300 grain Scenar. The Hooker bullets are just to high dollar ($60 plus bucks for 20, not only no but hell no), I don't know if predator projectiles exports to the US, Wildcat is not selling again until mid summer at least, and SMK's BC is lower then I like (not much lower then Lapua but I really don't like theirs either). Anybody got any other suggestions.

Re: Bullet selection

No other suggestion, but I've compared in the field the 300 SMK, 300 Scenar, and 232 GS solids in .338 LM out to 1600 meters.

Max velocities are about 875 m/s for the 300 grs, and 1050 m/s for the solids, out of a 28" barrel.

I've not seen a big difference in accuracy at these ranges.
The solids have less drop out to 1000 m, but seems to fall swiftly after that...

For the 295 grs solids, you need a fast ( & progressive ) twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMECA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For the 295 grs solids, you need a fast ( & progressive ) twist. </div></div>

I have been told that. I need to contact Lawton and find out what the twist rate is on my barrel. I know it is the Lost River bore but I don't know exactly what twist it is.

I do not shoot a 338 so I am not much help on direct experience in regards to which projectile is better than the others, but I will pass along some information in regards to selection and results that some Finnish members here are getting...they have taken the 250gr scenar well beyond its transition point and have had good success with it. Member "MSA" here has taken his to right over 2000m. Those kind of results sure "weed out" alot of previous thoughts and stereotypes.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMECA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For the 295 grs solids, you need a fast ( & progressive ) twist. </div></div>

I have been told that. I need to contact Lawton and find out what the twist rate is on my barrel. I know it is the Lost River bore but I don't know exactly what twist it is. </div></div>

Its a 9 twist.

According my discussions with Gerard a 9" twist will not fully stabalize his 295s. It takes something much closer to a 7" to fully stablize that bullet.

If you look at his site, there is a chart that shows stability and twist.

JeffVN

NAG and Jeff, thank you. I just found the chart myself. I guess I'll be trying the 267 grainers then. I just wish they would publish the BCs for that round.

Longshot38,
I see that you mentioned that wildcat will not be producing until late summer. do you know where the shop will now be located? last time i talked to richard he was selling it to someone in Nevada somewhere's.
and i have not heard weather that sale was finalized or not.

We will get the 267gr .338 SP data up on our site during next week but here is some of it.

Twist - S/F
7.5 --- 2
8 ----- 1.76
8.5 --- 1.56
9 ----- 1.39
9.5 --- 1.25
10 ---- 1.13
10.5 -- 1.02

M/S - FPS --- BC
914 - 3000 - 1.007
640 - 2100 - 0.923
366 - 1200 - 0.681

Bullet Overall Length - 2.1
Ogive length - 1.23

The 1:8" and 1:7" .284 SP data will be up at the same time.

Gerard - have you had any feedback on your 295 gr SP 338s at velocities at or above 1000 M/S (roughly 3,200 fps) - this seems to be where the current jacketed bullets are finding their bast accuracy node.

JeffVN

Improved 408 CheyTac case necked down to 338. Bruce Baer calls his the 338 Big Baer. Kirby Allen calls his the 338AM. They are essentially the same thing.

JeffVN

I am not aware of anyone going that fast with the 295gr 338 SP. With monos, finding accuracy is generally easier than with jacketed bullets as there is no axial distortion of the bullet under pressure and acceleration. Fewer variables, less vibration - all helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Improved 408 CheyTac case necked down to 338. Bruce Baer calls his the 338 Big Baer. Kirby Allen calls his the 338AM. They are essentially the same thing.

JeffVN </div></div>

There is also the 338 snipetac and 338 extreme... Cant think of the rest right now.