• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet stuck in lands/rifling - very puzzled

zhangla

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2014
Long story short -

My Savage 10T (308 WIN 24'' 1:10 5R rifling) started to become hard to chamber factory ammo, such as FGMM 175gr, Black Hills 168gr, etc. The only factory ammo that is easy to chamber and unchamber is Norma 168gr.

For the past month, there have been 2 instances of live rounds getting separated between bullet and case, spilling powder all over places, when I tried to umchamber the live rounds.

Curious to know what's going on, I used Honardy OAL gauge, inserts and modified case to measure the case bottom to ogive distance allowed in my rifle. The number shows that there should be 0.020+ inches of clearance from FGMM or Black Hills rounds to the lands. Then how come the bullets can get pushed into lands/rifling and got stuck there?

Does anyone have any ideas or previous experiences? Is it possible the bolt/bolt face is having issues, e.g. deformed? such that it pushes the rounds much further into the chamber than it's supposed to?

I am waiting for a gunsmith to take a look, and at the mean time any help is much appreciated.

When't the last time you really cleaned the throat area? It's unlikely but you may have serious cabon build up in there. Or may a really nasty burr. What do the bullets look like when you get them out?

Probably measured wrong. Savage factory barrels are notorious for short throats. I had that issue with my 10FCP.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I took 20 measurements over 3 days. They are slight different, but within the range of 0.008 inches. I used the Honrday OAL gauge + inserts + modified case. I doubt the measurement is wrong.

Yes it is a factory Savage 10T bought from Cabelas. I replaced AccuStock with XLR chassis, threaded it and put on JP muzzle brake. It shoots really well, but only with Norma 168gr (or my handloaded similiars). It never handles the 175 gr SMK ammo well, factory or handloads.

It is true I have not cleaned the throat area for the past 300 rounds or so. I will do that just now. Thanks for the tips. However, while cleaning the spilled powders out of the throat/lands, I do not see any major dust ball or bumps whatsoever. It is probably just carbon build up on the surface.

The bullets have bite marks when I pulled them out. Pretty much every 175gr SMK has that bite marks. Below is the one bullet that just separated from the case today:

hawf.jpg

lues.jpg

The top circle mark is due to my cleaning rod (when I pushed them back out). The teeth marks near the ogive is what I see on every single 175 SMK that I chamber into this rifle, even when the OAL is a mere 2.750 inches.

I had same thing happen to fcpk 5 days ago. After that my bolt won't close with any ammo inside chamber. It was fed match 175 gr cause it. The gun was brand new, the range officer tell me send it back to savage, so I did. Call savage. Also chk the base screw make sure it's not touching something it shouldn't