• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet velocities.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Hey guys, I recently got some 175 grain Sierra Matchking from Southwest Ammunition, and some FGMM 168 grain Sierra Boartain BTFP and I'm not sure where to look for the velocities for them.

Thanks,
Coby

Re: Bullet velocities.

IF you are a serious shooter.....you need one.....until you scare one up......you are pissing in the wind.

I know a few serious shooters who never use a chrony. If you dail on and hit why worry what FPS the bullet does? You want the velocity to compare loads, so why not just run them side by side at the range? Thats how I discovered the advantages of the Amax over the Nosler J4.

One poorman's way to get a handle on velocity is shoot a few out past 300 yards. The bullet drop for various bullets at differing velocities is in many reloader books or computer downloads.

But to each their own.

If you can shoot to a longer distance - say 800 yards and out - then you can use a ballistic program to back out the muzzle velocity, by putting your environmental conditions and rifle setup into the program, and changing the muzzle velocity until the program output matches your field data.

However, a chronograph is still useful for doing some things, like determining how much the muzzle velocity varies with temperature.

Thanks guys I'm just curious because my newly acquired FDAC has different cards for different velocities.

Well, then go shoot at a long distance, and record your elevation and the conditions. Calculate the DA from the conditions, and then pick the card which most closely matches the result you got.

There are really only two ways to get a velocity - use a chronograph, or shoot. If the latter, it needs to be at a long distance.

Alright, thanks Lindy. I guess I'll have to do that.

Is there an article or thread somewhere that explains doing that, because I'm not sure I completely understand.

I would have to agree get a chrono, but...

Depending on the ballistics program that you use, the drag model, etc...the actual bullet trajectory can vary significantly from the program output especially at longer distances. Ballistics programs will get you close, but I think you have to shoot various long distances to get a more accurate dope.

Clamber,
I have a chrony and would be happy to help you get some good dope figured out. I also have a pretty cool range that we could test said dope on!! If this snow settles out alittle and you don't mind shooting in the cold give me a shout.
Eric

Clamber,

I can help you out also. I'm in the Sandy area and have a crony. I'll be happy to meet you at the range if your in the SLC area. PM me if your interested.

RT