• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bump in the night set up?

EasyRhino72

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2006
Northern Va
What do you guys keep on hand and where do you keep it for those things that go bump in the night?

Specifically, we have a 2 year old but I want to still have my 12ga, my M4 and my 45 handy for whatever. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not securing them is not a option.
</span> but ready access is necessary.

I saw a under-bed safe but I'm curious what others do. Thx in advance

Re: Bump in the night set up?

A good dog [Free roaming/large] and a precious metal (copper/lead) delivery system [of suitable size, working order, close at hand].
Oh and if using a shotgun load it with at least some form of Buckshot. Save the bird loads for the birds. They dont do well on 2 legged featherless flightless loonie birds.

Lock the doors
Install an alarm system that's loud if breeched.
Fence the property.
Install a dog outdoors. Not a lap dog, but one from the pound that's appreciative and protective.
Install a dog indoors. Just don't let him lick the baby's face after licking his ass like they do.
Guns are dangerous and intended for professionals nowadays since the government isn't come to get us anymore.
That's all boogie man NRA propaganda that makes money for stiff shirts and staff. Ignore it.
wink.gif

I probably don't need to say this but whatever you end up doing put a good light on your weapon for target ID.

and IMHO an M4 is probably more suited to bumps 200 yrds out vs inside the house. just lock it up normally.
wink.gif

that is unless you live in a 20,000 sq ft mansion in Mclean that has 100yrd hallways of course. then maybe the M4 is in order.
laugh.gif

in answer to your orig question, a small safe for the 45 in a drawer by the bed or under it should be fine.

Winchester M1300 Defender, Highspeed Duck load, and a flashlight or my petzl head light
grin.gif
iv never had to pull it out and i hope i never have to...Damn central california.....

Remington 870 (18" barrel) extended tube mag, onboard light!
Short Speefeed stock!
Federal Tactical 00 buck loaded in mag
Federal Tactical Slugs in speedfeed

Wife and I know it's under the mattress on my side of the bed! Kids don't have a clue!

I grew up with an 870 in hand, it is very natural to shoot and operate.

Ill go from the smallest to biggest
S&W Bodyguard 380 / Winchester bonded PDX1
S&W 3913 / Hornady critical defense
Glock 22 / Winchester bonded PDX1
870 / Winchester Ranger 00 buck and 2 slugs on the stock

The 380 and a flashlight is in the draw in the night stand. I carry the 380 all the time, so i just put it in the draw at bed time and then back in the pocket when i get up. The Glock is in a safe next to the bed. And the shotty is in the safe in another room loaded up with the 3913 next to it.

Well just the nightstand alone... 10.3" SBR leaned up against it with two sigs on top. The rest are long guns that just sit in the closet b/c they don't have lights on them and aren't really meant for the indoor thing. In daylight hours the 12ga pump could come out to play, but it doesn't have a light.

^^^^ but all that's if only they get through my two miniature dachshunds first.

Only the safe to secure things when I leave. I live alone, so no need for child proofing.

I have a .357 snubby with a CT laser grip. Don't need a flashlight the laser lights up enough for me to see clearly even on the darkest night. I keep the .357 loaded with .38specials in case my wife has to shoot it.

I bought one of these
Stack on safe

and put it on top of my nightstand.

When the alarm goes off I push four numbers and have access to the pistol. Keeps my kid from accessing it and gives me reasonable access to it.

I know it could get stolen but the pistol is the only thing I keep in the safe. Everything else goes in the big safe.

I keep a small gun guard safe in the nightstand on my side bed. It keeps the pistol safe from little hands and still in easy access. It has four buttons on top in a palm shape recess. I can program the buttons for the combination I want and if the battery fails it still has a key to open it.

Petzl head lamp
Trumark Wrist Rocket
Steel ball bearings
Tactical steely carrier over the wrist section with 5 x-tra steelys

Good luck

Modified Barret 50 Carbine, NODS with T1 mount on the 50. I secure it in the closest behind my robe so it can't be found during the day.

I don't have any kids in the house yet. It's hard for me to grasp the concept of my home defense weapon locked in a safe though. I fully understand the need for them to be out of reach of the little ones.

I keep my CCW (a STI Gaurdian .45) under my pillow, yes that's right, under my pillow. I've had more than one bad experience with intruders and the last one would have possibly ended alot differently had my gun been visible or out of my instant reach when i was woke up. This happened while staying at a friends house. Also, leaned up against the nightstand, I have a Mossy 500A with 8rds of 00 Buck in it. Then, beside it i have the AR platform.

In my home, actually inside the house, the mossy 500A will handle all things "evil". I have a smaller house with a narrow hall way. The .45 goes along for any night time outside noises. The AR is in place mainly for the wife to use if i happen to be out of the room or get hurt and she needs to keep anyone out of the bedroom door. She is also schooled on the Mossy 500A as well.

Maybe it's over-kill, but I've been in a few "bump in the night" situations and Ive come out alive thus far.

Glock 19 with Surefire light loaded with win ranger t bedside and a mossberg 590 with Surefire light, first four rounds are fed LE buckshot then the rest is Fed slugs. My pistol is used to get to the pump gun which is stowed only 5 feet away lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lock the doors
Install an alarm system that's loud if breeched.
Fence the property.
Install a dog outdoors. Not a lap dog, but one from the pound that's appreciative and protective.
Install a dog indoors. Just don't let him lick the baby's face after licking his ass like they do.
Guns are dangerous and intended for professionals nowadays since the government isn't come to get us anymore.
That's all boogie man NRA propaganda that makes money for stiff shirts and staff. Ignore it.
wink.gif

</div></div>

this
my rescue dane is far more protective of the home than my dane i bought as a puppy.

I have the same situation at home EasyRhino,I have a 2 yr old who is very interested in the "pow-pows" around the house. I keep the M4 in the closet with a mag ready to go on the top shelf in the closet,as far as the immediate need to access a firearm I keep a 1911 in the top drawer of the nightstand.The drawer has the childproof lock thing on it so he can't get into the drawer and the pistol is only there during sleeping hours anyway.

In our bedroom, Glock 22 w/ 4 mags in the wifes night stand, S&W sigma 9mm w3 mags in my night stand, flashlights in both. Wife gets the Glock because that's what she shoots the best. Beside my stand is my Mossy 500 with 2 #4 turkey loads,4 00 buck, and a slug. More 00 and slugs in side saddle. Besie the Mossy is my Mini-14. Maybe a bit of overkill but I've had armed officers outside my apartment looking for a man with a gun on the property. And my wife can and does shoot all of the above.
Eric

I can't add a whole lot to the firearm choices, but I have one idea to consider. I don't have any loved ones in other rooms I would need to get to, so this might not be helpful in your case. I always turn off all lights in the room outside of my bedroom except for a single lamp and a ceiling flush mounted light. I can see from my side of the bed, without sitting up or moving, the unobstructed light picture that these lights provide under my bedroom door. If anybody is in the hallway going to my master bedroom, unless they are a ninja climbing the walls, I can very easily see the shadows cast by their feet. I tested this with boots and shoes at different ranges, in the middle of the door, to the side, etc. Yeah, I'm a dork.

Since I am alone, I don't need to clear the house if I suspect an intruder. I can call the cops and let them do their job, until then I can cover the door. If there is somebody at my bedroom door, I can see their shadow. If they turned the lights off, I can realize that the lights are off and something is up. Anyways, I think it gives me an edge in some quick situational awareness.

RRA middy & plenty of mags to hold off a zombie apocalypse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWOAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
^^^^ but all that's if only they get through my two miniature dachshunds first.
</div></div>

I have one myself- she certainly makes an outstanding alarm.

Good firearms with night sights for wife and myself, very powerful flashlight, cell phone, and 4 free roaming dogs.

Hard, really, to say how your day will turn out if you decide to do something REALLY stoopid, like break into my home in the middle of the night.

If you play your cards right though, the dogs will be the worst of it, and you can count yourself damn lucky.

Although it would be some goddamn impressive awesomeness on your part, you really don't want to make it past the dogs.......

I use the same thing as I carry... Glock 22 loaded with Speer gold dot 180gr and surefire x300.

Take a look at the gun vault with finger print scanner. It has the push button combination as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DVC Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Modified Barret 50 Carbine, NODS with T1 mount on the 50. I secure it in the closest behind my robe so it can't be found during the day.</div></div>

Hope you live miles from your neighbors. That thing is going far.

I got a Glock 17 in a under bed safe.

American Bulldog in the yard, wifes got a Ruger LCP on her side. I have a sawed off 870 with 00 Buckshot and a XD45.

I have no kids, so this would be different if I did: Absolutley would not have so many firearms laying around

380 under the livingroom recliner
Sig P245 hidden in bookself in den
Mosburge 590A1 - 12 ga in entry closet
XD 45 at bedside
Ruger SBH 44 mag in basement at loading bench

My wife!
The last bad guys she put to work chopping wood for 3 hours when she cought them trying to steal some of it.

S&W 460 good for going through walls

Rem 870 Super Mag stuffed with 3-1/2" Winchester 00 buck with light attached.

Vang comp 870, cut down hogue stock, sure fire forgrip and aim point t1, then a colt rail gun with x300

Wife has a g19

I keep my CZ75B in my desk right next to my bed, along with an LED flashlight(I need a surefire, or eventually a pistol with a mount flashlight). I keep it loaded with 124gr+P.

I used to have my Mossberg 500 ready, but I like to hide, or lock up my HD weapon when I leave for the day, or any extended period of time when no one will be home and its a lot easier to do that with a pistol. Also, the barrel is an 18.5" with no choke on the 500, so the pattern isn't ideal for anything over 15yrds, and I need to be carefull with shot placement as there are others in the house.

Fn 5.7 pistol, spare mag and 300 lumen eagletac in a fly fishing vest. Lotsa pockets quick to deploy.

I keep a 1911 in the night stand drawer. My duty weapon is usually on top (S&W M&P .40) and I keep an old Mossberg 500 16 guage, 18.5 inch barrel loaded with 00 buckshot, leaning on the wall between the bed and night stand. The shotgun would probably be the go to gun if anyone got past the dog. My blue heeler doesn't like strangers.

I've got a Mossberg 500 Cruiser next to my bed chock full of 3" 00-buckshot. I know shooting a 12-gauge with a pistol grip doesn't make for a very fun day at the range... but it's short, manueverable and makes it easy to clear an area very fast. That's essentially why I got it. I've not had to use it yet, but I'm certain in a zombie apocalypse, it would come in quite handy.
grin.gif

** mossberg 500 stock photo **
d7b93b2b.jpg

** my photo of 00-buckshot ammo **
eb0a2d84.jpg

^That thing has a heavy barrel, is your's that heavy? I like that a lot, I have heard of shotguns having their barrels dented in due to being dropped, and that would make that a non-issue.

Also, I ended up selling my pistol grip for my 500. I shot it a few times with bird shot, and it was unpleasant to say the least. I hit myself in the abdomen and let a nice knot the first time shooting it. Didn't want to try 00 Buck.

I like the idea of a shotgun as well but you have to be careful when loading with slugs and even buckshot. This isn't the video I was looking for but still shows that with a slug you are talking about some real overpenetration issues. The video that I was looking for showed that the buckshot wasn't far behind the slug so looking into a heavy birdshot at the distances that one would probably encounter inside a home isn't really a bad idea.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYHBmNI8154&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYHBmNI8154&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm looking for a way to have my scatter gun by my bed and have some kind of quick biometric or combo lock on it.
My fear is that leaving your guns out could arm an unarmed intruder while you aren't there.
I'd hate to walk into my casa and have a dude with a 45 and 870.
I get sick of putting them in my safe every morning like I have for the past 10 years.

They make a combo lock strong mount for the 870, but it won't work with a side saddle on it. I'll probably just pull the side saddle off and use that.

If I didn't have a kid I'd use my M16. I want to penetrate walls in my house. If someone is in my living room I'd like to shoot them from my bed. I don't need to see them to know they aren't supposed to be there.

G19 with surefire x300 and a G17 Mag full of Hornady CD (don't have to worry about CCW in the house, might as well have the 2 extra rounds
whistle.gif
, soon to become a G17 once i find a good deal on a gen 3.

Speaking of penetration......
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Whatever you do make sure it is secure from that 2 year old!! I have two young ones in the house, 8 and 6. They don't go poking around looking for stuff yet, but it's only a matter of time. I keep my 12 gauge in the closet with a cable lock through the action but with the magazine tube full. My glock is in a box safe in one of my drawers with a loaded mag in the weapon and two spares. I keep them locked at all times except right before I go to bed and then I lock them up again when I get up in the AM. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but as a responsible gun owner and parent I feel that is the only way that I can be sure. -chad