• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris XTR Pro 🇺🇸

couple more action shots. dont think tracking matters?

The second place kids scope went down (zero shifted mil up mil right) and he got back to back zeros to end day 1. Roog won a scope as top youth and gave it to the other kid. Was so cool. This sport has hope.

2022.02 NE NRL 3.jpg

2022.02 NE NRL 5.jpg

2022.02 NE NRL 9.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my G3. Quick and dirty on a cloudy day with sun on hills in distance. Glass is closer to ZCO than it is to XTR3. Mirage less on G3 and no CA. XTR3 big purple outlines on the shadow side. Equivalent FOV @ 30X. Hoping the Pro got the same glass upgrade.

Seeing you and your boy out shooting competitions makes me envious until the day I can do the same. My oldest is 7, youngest 3, and another on the way. I look forward to the day I can take all three of my boys to the range or to a local comp. That’s got to be some awesome father son bonding time!

Reactions: D_TROS
Don’t wait expose them to the shooting world now in a safe form in relation to their age. The sooner they can form their own opinion the more they will be able to combat all the propaganda they are exposed to and will be exposed to. Observation then participation. Safety, Safety, Safety.

Just got my G3. Quick and dirty on a cloudy day with sun on hills in distance. Glass is closer to ZCO than it is to XTR3. Mirage less on G3 and no CA. XTR3 big purple outlines on the shadow side. Equivalent FOV @ 30X. Hoping the Pro got the same glass upgrade.
I see a little purplish CA in a couple of my XTRIIIs, the other two are really good.

I havent seen any CA in my Pro. And clarity is a big step up. Will it compete with the G3? I don't know. They are spending more money in Japan to make it what it is. If the Burris gives up a little clarity to the Razor I'm still OK with it. The Pro is $500 to $700 less money, made in Colorado, has a couple more reticle options, tooless zero, mark able turrets, and at a very attractive $2k price point. It's a lot of scope for the money, its going to do well.

Pick a date, any date and then stick to it.

Yep, because nobody is having severe supply chain problems.

When the very manufacturer of products you need to make yours tells you "none in stock and none in forecast", you tell us how fucking easy is it to "pick a date, any date, and then stick to it".

Talk is cheap.

Reactions: Birddog6424
None of my xtr3's show any CA, and this last one (3.3-18) has better turrets and the sunshade color matches.
^ CA can be affected by condition, when I do testing I have black on white on my test target to determine the level of CA. My XTR III's do exhibit CA but they control better than previous Gen II models, but are "worse" than higher end scopes. The new Vortex Gen III 6-36 controls CA very well, hoping the XTR III Pro will be close or better.

Yesterday was a weird day for weather - about to storm and ominous color. I hadn't noticed much, if any CA prior to yesterday. Probably should've pulled out my other XTR3 to compare, but just assumed they would be the same. Approx 1 year difference in age. I'm still buying 2 Pro's. Just was pleasantly surprised by the G3 glass.

Don’t wait expose them to the shooting world now in a safe form in relation to their age. The sooner they can form their own opinion the more they will be able to combat all the propaganda they are exposed to and will be exposed to. Observation then participation. Safety, Safety, Safety.
You’re absolutely right. My oldest is a solid shot. Both my boys are around it all the time. They both even like making loads with me. I’m just looking forward to the day where I can have all 3 out with me.

You’re absolutely right. My oldest is a solid shot. Both my boys are around it all the time. They both even like making loads with me. I’m just looking forward to the day where I can have all 3 out with me.

CAREFUL what you ask for...I have 4 boys and just the oldest shooting will be expensive. haha. This is only his first match. I guess we can space it out.

I guess I could spend oogles of money some parents spend on club sports...so prob balances out. Ha.

Its a VERY good problem to have.
DT

Reactions: 260284
CAREFUL what you ask for...I have 4 boys and just the oldest shooting will be expensive. haha. This is only his first match. I guess we can space it out.

I guess I could spend oogles of money some parents spend on club sports...so prob balances out. Ha.

Its a VERY good problem to have.
DT
Funny you say that because I was thinking just that as I was typing earlier. You nailed it though, it’s a good problem. I guess I’ll start saving now!

Glass apparently better on the Pro.

If the glass on the 3i is the same as the glass on the old 3, and there's no quality loss due to assembly location, that will be an unbeatable value. Tough to justify 2X the price for the Pro - there wasn't much room between the old 3 and the top tier scopes to begin with... but will see.

Can the Burrii peeps confirm glass source for the old 3, the new 3i, and the Pro? I thought the old 3 already was Japanese glass...
I recently heard that QC on the XTR3i will be done in Colorado even though the scopes will be made in the Philippines.

Reactions: Chasing3
@D_TROS @Birddog6424

What works best for marking on the race turret? Just a dry erase or is there a better option?
I've had good luck with a fine tip dry erase.

I've also use a wax pencil, but the dry erase cleans up better.

Dorgan uses it a lot more than I do though. I havent used mine much in competition. I marked out all my yardages on my 18x as a hunting optic on my 300 Norma. It's super cool to be able to use it as an easily modifiable custom turret. I marked mine from 200 to 800 yards in 25yd increments then taped it off.

Reactions: BigJohn141
@D_TROS @Birddog6424

What works best for marking on the race turret? Just a dry erase or is there a better option?

DONT USE DRY ERASE. first time you grab the turret youl wipe it clean. BTDT

wet erase only. nvr tried wax on the turret but would work well if its raining. wet conditions are a whole other animal.

pro turret marked.jpg

If, like the pic above, you are doing a match where a bdc turret is applicable, i put a layer of scotch down, writeon with perm marker, then put another layer of tape on top of that. yes I have used nail polish remover and acetone to remove perm marker, but after 5-10 times, the white board becomes very sticky. once or twice its ok maybe 4 times but I wouldnt do more than that. I only do it if i have no tape. or I know a 3 day match will be in the snow or heavy rain.

Attachments

• 2020 NM SCOPE.jpg
    2020 NM SCOPE.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 2020 NRL NM 2.jpg
    2020 NRL NM 2.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 88
DONT USE DRY ERASE. first time you grab the turret youl wipe it clean. BTDT

wet erase only. nvr tried wax on the turret but would work well if its raining. wet conditions are a whole other animal.

View attachment 7819758

If, like the pic above, you are doing a match where a bdc turret is applicable, i put a layer of scotch down, writeon with perm marker, then put another layer of tape on top of that. yes I have used nail polish remover and acetone to remove perm marker, but after 5-10 times, the white board becomes very sticky. once or twice its ok maybe 4 times but I wouldnt do more than that. I only do it if i have no tape. or I know a 3 day match will be in the snow or heavy rain.
Was sqadded with a guy at Bomber Run a couple weeks ago who was running the PRO and doing the same with non-glossy scotch tape. Worked really well. Got a chance to peek through it as well. Glass did not disappoint.

How much they getting for them?

I suspect we are going to see full MAP for a bit.
Shot you a pm.

I am going to try and get a couple of reticle and glass pics this afternoon if I get off work in time. First parking lot impressions are the elevation turret feel nice, I like the SCR2, and the windage knob is smaller than I thought (that’s what she said) but I hold wind 80% of the time.

Shot you a pm.

I am going to try and get a couple of reticle and glass pics this afternoon if I get off work in time. First parking lot impressions are the elevation turret feel nice, I like the SCR2, and the windage knob is smaller than I thought (that’s what she said) but I hold wind 80% of the time.
Maybe you have big hands 😉

The interesting thing I discovered about the windage knob, is the optional external windage turret that you get with the XTRIII will fit the PRO. So if a person doesn't want capped windage, Burris may be able to run down an uncapped turret for them.

Reactions: BigJohn141
Thanks guys. I will grab some wet erase markers

Be careful with even wet erase markers. I used one on a quarter back sleeve and the dope smeared bad in the middle of a hot sweaty July day. It’s no fun running a stage blind🤦🏼‍♂️

Maybe you have big hands 😉

The interesting thing I discovered about the windage knob, is the optional external windage turret that you get with the XTRIII will fit the PRO. So if a person doesn't want capped windage, Burris may be able to run down an uncapped turret for them.
That’s good to know if I ever find I need a larger turret. 👍🏻

Side by side shot with the Strike Eagle EBR-7C. Set the parallax multiple times to get the sharpest picture on both. I will say the parallax on the Pro definitely seems to be a lot more forgiving. The SE is warmer and less sharp where as the green of the street sign pops more on the Pro. Sign was ranged at roughly 560 yards. I do like the SCR2 better, it is way less cluttered and more open to me.

Both scopes are set on 25x and looking through a tree that is 30-40 yards in front of me.

Anyone that has ever taken a picture through a scope knows that cameras kill the actual clarity. Don’t take this as an actual representation, it’s just for comparison.

63031867-EE27-456F-ADCA-25A5919A3F03.jpeg
0212257F-B05E-4C14-9AF2-915321746938.jpeg

Reactions: screaminweasil
So I’m going to be running the pro in it’s first match tomorrow and of course it’s supposed to start with rain tonight and turn to snow before morning. Basically it’s going to be wet. I’ve been thinking about the issue of marking the turret for the match and this is a possible solution. Crystal clear scotch tape wrapped around the turret but folded back on itself at the end to make a flag. There are 8 stages so I could layer maybe 9 or 10 of these and basically have like tear offs for each stage and use a fine tip sharpie. Mark the target and wind for each and then remove after the stage to clean and be ready for the next. Of course this is just for these conditions and wouldn’t make sense for a really long match. I think I will start wrapping the turret in tape before each match, even if it’s just a couple layers and using a wet erase marker. Should help keep the turret nice and white.

478ADF98-135D-4039-A467-10E0F77FF308.jpeg
F7A6677A-6EDA-48CA-B524-9E9A7CF3E927.jpeg
D79AC84B-5778-4102-8903-C924C8B6D75A.jpeg

Here we go! I would like to think this is one of the first reviews of the XTR Pro from someone that is not part of team Burris. We all know how people like to think those opinions are skewed. I have no affiliation with the company other than living within 30 minutes of their facility. The scope was purchased by me from a Burris dealer, with my own money. Let’s gets into it.

I will start this off by saying the scope I purchased was rumored to be for use by a sponsored shooter and was not supposed to be sold to the public. I cannot confirm this in any way but it may account for a couple of small things below. This is what I was told by a fellow member here. Other stock orders are shipping out right now so who knows.

Unboxing:

It’s a box with a scope in it. Exciting, huh. Nice foam as usual, race turret installed, sun shade, normal black turret, manual, and Allen key for the windage turret. Scope comes with Burris flip caps on it that are very similar to Butler Creek. Nothing fancy but they work. I personally don’t use them except to hold an IDTS lens. I was hoping a throw lever would be in the box but it wasn’t. No battery either. These are the areas of debate mentioned above. They might come with the lever, no real clear answer yet, but customer service said they are out of stock right now. They said they will send me one as soon as they come in. I’m happy with that. If the lever is indeed not included, I personally would rather have the lever over caps. The battery is not an issue, I use illumination once a year, maybe. I did take one out of another scope to play with the different colors, I like the green lol.

First impressions:

The first thing I noticed is the texture is a little less smooth than some other scopes. Not rough, but less smooth. Like it’s almost a spayed coating versus being anodized, and it’s more matte. Turrets feel really nice, mag ring moves smoothly, parallax is smooth as well. The sun shade appears to be the same color lol. It is very fine threaded so it takes a moment to screw on. The capped windage turret is smaller so this could be good or bad for some. I hold wind now so I like it. One slightly odd thing I noticed while playing with the elevation turret. The marks would line up till around 2 mils and start being off slightly till you made it back around to zero, then the same thing on the next revolution. Not off much, like .05 mil max, but off none the less. It seemed like the the engraving was off but it was on all 3 elevation turrets. I could offset zero slightly and get them to line up in the 5+ mil range but off down low. I chalked it up to being early production and would get it checked out later. Turns out the issues completely went away when I zeroed my rifle. It’s a mystery now. I have 19.1 mils of travel up and every mark is dead on. Zeroing the turret was fast and easy. Open lever, pull turret, push back on at zero, and close the lever. Zero stop is already set. The SCR2 looked really nice and very usable. The red color on the scope could be a hot topic of debate, think vortex brown, more on that in a bit.

Actual competition use:

Just a one day comp today, roughly 80 rifle rounds from 180 yards out to 1475 yards. Weather was rough. Started out 34ish degrees with 10-12mph wind at 9-10 o’clock and light snow. It went down hill from there with temps dropping into the upper 20s and winds 18 with gusts of 25mph in the afternoon. The scope ran like a champ all day long. The quick release race dial is by far one of my favorite things. I can place my rifle down, pop off the turret, and mark target settings and wind holds in a matter of a couple minutes. I was running a wrist play holder for my dope but it has been retired. The stages are so much faster when you don’t have to look down to get your dope and then line up those tiny marks. Just crank it over to the mark you made and run it! Like I mentioned, I hold wind so it’s always right there for the current target at a glance. It made running near to far target strings multiple times SO much easier. My “tear offs” experiment from a few posts up worked extremely well. The only issues with the whole thing all day is my sharpie started freezing up, not joking lol. I am a huge fan of this turret. I dialed wind a couple of times and all seemed to work as it should. Parallax was great, just set it for a middle value in the string of fire and forget about it till the next stage. The SCR2 worked very well, I ran around 16x-20x most of the day and 30x on a KYL stage. The holdover marks were not too large yet easy to find and decipher. The center cross basically turns into a dot at 16x. Not a cluttered reticle and more open in my opinion. Only issue all day was on one of the longer stages when trying to hold 4-5 mils of wind, yes it was that kind of day, and the little sizing/ranging marks made it a little confusing. This could’ve been easily corrected by just pre-dialing in some windage to move it away from that area. As mentioned, it was cold enough that my sharpie was trying to stop working, my wind meter did stop working, and I was actually worried my phone was going to shut down. The turrets, parallax, and mag ring never changed. All stayed smooth and consistent and the clicks felt great. I was not disappointed in any area with this scope.

The last match I shot was last week. The last match I shot before that one was roughly 10 years ago. Not much in the way of long range shooting between those two matches. Last week was a solid middle of the pack finish at 13th of 29. This week I improved that with a 3RD PLACE out of 17 and only 3.5 points behind 1st!!! I seriously credit that to the race dial and reticle. It’s so nice to be able to turn part of your brain off and just worry about running the rifle.

Now to the red color. I get what Burris is doing, it’s marketing. It’s their color, it stands out, there is no doubt it’s an XTR Pro if you see it in a picture. It’s probably not my first choice but it’s growing on me. The scope was built for competition use, no worries about being spotted by the enemy, might as well have fun with it. I am 100% certain that at no point today did the red color cause me to miss a shot.

Lastly we have comparison:

After the match I had a chance to compare the XTR Pro to a Kahles 624 gen3 that belongs to @Baron85. Quick side note, he bested me by 1.5 points to take 2nd place today, great shooting and congrats! We placed both rifles side by side and compared at various targets across the range. We both came to the same conclusion that the Burris had a slight edge over the Kahles. To me it was possibly in contrast but it just looked a tick better. It was not an earth shattering amount by any stretch but still better to me. I feel that it could easily swing either way depending on who was looking through them. Both are very much in the same league in my opinion. Hopefully I can compare with other high end glass in the near future.

To sum it all up. It was a great chance to really run the scope and it passed with flying colors. I can’t wait to get it back out and do it some more. Burris really put some great features on this scope and they are definitely looking to make a bigger name for themselves in the competition scene.

Last edited:
Great shooting today Bigjohn! What a day huh. It was my kahles we compared today. Mine is a gen3. We went back and forth on the kahles and xtr pro.

My observation and opinion was that the xtr pro was brighter and had more pop than the kahles to my eyes. It also seemed to resolve better. Looking at a steel target that was around 700 yards away, the pro you could see more detail on the bullet splash marks. I feel the kahles eye box was easier to get behind but that could easily be the fact it was on my rifle that was setup for me vs bigjohns. Turret feel was a wash, both excellent. I think the kahles had a little broader paralax setting, meaning set paralax at 500 for example and it’s good from 300-800 ( just numbers I’m throwing out)

These are just my opinions from 5-10 minutes of looking. The differences where not huge, they were basically neck and neck and will likely change depending on whose eyes are looking. Moral of the story is Burris knocked it out of the park!

Edited to add, I was very jealous of the race dial! It seemed to work very well and such a game changer. Watching bigjohn vs the rest of us run a stage it seemed much smoother and faster.

I've seen the slight gapping on the line alignment of the turret as well. I believe it can be negated by making sure the toolless turret is hard up against the zero stop. Perhaps that why it lined up for you after you reset the zero.

The finish is still anodized, just in a different method to give it the Matte look. They call it a Safari finish. As it wears in it develops a nice patina look to it.

Great review fellas. And congratulations to both of you on your top 3 finishes!!

Edit; And as an FYI, I'm pretty sure the battery and throw lever thing slipped through the cracks. I know they always include a battery and I'm pretty sure they are intending to send out the lever with every optic. They rushed a few of these out... 🤣

Last edited:
Side by side shot with the Strike Eagle EBR-7C. Set the parallax multiple times to get the sharpest picture on both. I will say the parallax on the Pro definitely seems to be a lot more forgiving. The SE is warmer and less sharp where as the green of the street sign pops more on the Pro. Sign was ranged at roughly 560 yards. I do like the SCR2 better, it is way less cluttered and more open to me.

Both scopes are set on 25x and looking through a tree that is 30-40 yards in front of me.

View attachment 7820071

Can someone post a picture of the new SCR2 1/4 reticle, with an image equivalent to the above picture.

The one on the Burris website is a blur, and worse when you zoom in to try to see the details.

I guess it's too new of a reticle to show up in my Google searches.

I've seen the slight gapping on the line alignment of the turret as well. I believe it can be negated by making sure the toolless turret is hard up against the zero stop. Perhaps that why it lined up for you after you reset the zero.

Great review fellas. And congratulations to both of you on your top 3 finishes!!
That very well could’ve been it. It was just a little puzzling how it was only off in a 2 or 3 mil range and not all the way around. If it does it again, I’ll reset the toolless turret to see if it resolves the issue. Hopefully the issue doesn’t return, it’s running great right now.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Can someone post a picture of the new SCR2 1/4 reticle, with an image equivalent to the above picture.

The one on the Burris website is a blur, and worse when you zoom in to try to see the details.

I guess it's too new of a reticle to show up in my Google searches.

@D_TROS posted one in post #4 of the first page that might help you out.

Reactions: Alpine 338
The finish is still anodized, just in a different method to give it the Matte look. They call it a Safari finish. As it wears in it develops a nice patina look to it.

Does achieving the mentioned wear and patina involve bashing the scope into a barricade repeatedly? Asking for a friend… 🤣

Thank you BigJohn and Baron, that helps a lot. Surprised to hear you say turrets are a wash Baron, I’ve always thought Kahles had excellent turrets - better than most, turrets on my XTR III are nice but not Kahles nice, so it sounds like Burris improved that as well.

I just sent my XTR III back to Burris as the mag ring is super hard to turn and I’d hoped it would loosen up over time but it hasn’t, that along with the knurling on the XTR III (someone called them dragon scales and I’d agree) that digs into your fingers make for an unpleasant combination. It is nice to see the XTR Pro changed their knurling and looks like it’d be much more comfortable.

Based on my ongoing review of the Razor Gen III 6-36, the new glass coming from Japan is absolutely superb (best I’ve seen yet from the Far East), if Burris spec’d something similar I can’t wait to see one!

Outside of my own thoughts on PRS and predetermined ranges, does anyone have another purpose for the race dial or is it really only meant for PRS specifically?