• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

To D TROS, wjm and all the other informative posters, Ilya as well, thanks for all the extremely useful info on the XTR3's and the 2 in 5x20. Need a new scope for my AI and a Cadex I will be ordering soon, can wait for the 5x30's to get out there. Will be getting an XTR2 5x20 for one of my AR-10's to try out. A bit more power for L/R, and a few bucks saved for more "stuff". Thanks again, Fred.

Reactions: Glassaholic
To D TROS, wjm and all the other informative posters, Ilya as well, thanks for all the extremely useful info on the XTR3's and the 2 in 5x20. Need a new scope for my AI and a Cadex I will be ordering soon, can wait for the 5x30's to get out there. Will be getting an XTR2 5x20 for one of my AR-10's to try out. A bit more power for L/R, and a few bucks saved for more "stuff". Thanks again, Fred.

I have the XTR II in a 4-20 on a Grendel, and a 5-25 on a heavy 6.5 Creedmoor that I use for my 3 Gun bonus rifle.

They are great scopes for the platform.

I have the XTR II in a 4-20 on a Grendel, and a 5-25 on a heavy 6.5 Creedmoor that I use for my 3 Gun bonus rifle.

They are great scopes for the platform.
6.5 Creed 3 gun bonus rifle? Explain that one if you don't mind, I don't shoot 3 gun but it seems like everyone who does shoots the small frame AR's

I got to use the xtr 3 on the weekend. I was going to shoot a match with it but unfortunately my rifle went down on the first shot of the match. I didn't really get to put it through it's paces but what really impressed my while zeroing it was how bright the glass is and the fov

Reactions: Birddog6424
Good to know about the glass brightness. That was a downfall of the XTR II in my opinion that kept me from buying.

6.5 Creed 3 gun bonus rifle? Explain that one if you don't mind, I don't shoot 3 gun but it seems like everyone who does shoots the small frame AR's

A lot of the bigger 3 Gun matches, and even here and there at the local ones, will run bonus targets on some stages. They will set up targets at longer distances, usually somewhere between 700 to 1000 yards, and if you have a bonus rifle you can shoot at those targets. There will be a designated area where you stage the bonus rifle. Once you have finished shooting you clear the weapon and run over and begin the normal stage.

Its optional to go for them, or simply ignore them and run the usual stage. In a nutshell you will get a 5 or a 10 second bonus for every target you hit. So if it takes you 20 seconds to hit 5 bonus targets worth 50 seconds, you net a 30 second bonus.

The caveat is that it's on the clock. And if it's a big stage with a par time, you have to weigh the odds of the bonus targets taking too long, causing you to time out and take big penalties for Failure to Engage on remaining targets.

It's definitely more AR friendly. Bolt guns are too slow and lack the magazine capacity. My experience has been that if you can drive your semi auto pretty quick at those distances, the bonus targets are well worth it. My 6.5 Creedmoor is custom built for that purpose. It's a 16lb AR10 I can drive really fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Another great weekend shooting. This time a team match in WA. Riflemans Team Challenge Karstetter Memorial. 196 shooters. My partner and I took 4th. Also used this bad boy for the 308 only team match on friday. Our 9 man team won easy peezy! ha

Not gonna lie this thing is really amazing scope. I hope the production run is as good!

Attachments

• 2019 RTC KARSTETTER 2.jpg
    2019 RTC KARSTETTER 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 221
Curious if both the 18x and the 30x will have the same reticle. In the XTR2, the 15x and 20/25x had different reticles. Anyone know about this? @GeoffatBurris @Birddog6424 @koshkin

I want to say I had heard the reticle would be optimized for each magnification. I'm thinking it's something that I heard early on.

But honestly, I'm not 100% on that. So dont hold me to it.

20 yard parallex is begging to go on my 22lr. That would fix the issue of all my other scopes having H59s but my 22lrs. First time I can say I’m interested in a Burris scope. Please keep info coming.

I like the way you think, my 455 needs some glass

Anyone know if these will come in FDE color like the XTR ii? Maybe I already missed this somewhere earlier in the thread

Anyone know if these will come in FDE color like the XTR ii? Maybe I already missed this somewhere earlier in the thread

I haven't heard of any plans as yet for an FDE.

First on the agenda is a clean roll out of the 18x, then 30x along with the SCR2. Then I suspect once they have those being churned out, they will go to work on adding the illuminated models. So I think their plate will be fairly full for 2019. But there's nothing to say it won't make it into the line up at some point.

We should be seeing some of these out in the wild any minute now..

I haven't heard of any plans as yet for an FDE.

First on the agenda is a clean roll out of the 18x, then 30x along with the SCR2. Then I suspect once they have those being churned out, they will go to work on adding the illuminated models. So I think their plate will be fairly full for 2019. But there's nothing to say it won't make it into the line up at some point.

We should be seeing some of these out in the wild any minute now..
If you really mean any minute, please send me a PM... Need to find the distributor. Want an MOA 18x for my 22lr and have been waiting on scope purchase for 6 months! Burris, I hope you get these going soon! ?

Any minute may be a slight stretch. I dont know that something will go on sale today. But I do expect to see a post from someone that has one very soon. Especially in MoA.

I'm surprised we havent seen one yet.

I almost bought a Kahles K318i today but I am curious about the XTR III. Any thoughts on the XTR III in comparison to a K318i. The K318i is a little shorter but I like the idea about the FOV and 120 Minutes of elevation adjustment on the XTR III. Oh and also saving $1k, lol. Anyone want to talk me into waiting for an XTR III.

I almost bought a Kahles K318i today but I am curious about the XTR III. Any thoughts on the XTR III in comparison to a K318i. The K318i is a little shorter but I like the idea about the FOV and 120 Minutes of elevation adjustment on the XTR III. Oh and also saving $1k, lol. Anyone want to talk me into waiting for an XTR III.

I think Kahles makes a very good scope. I really like their stuff. Honestly though, I think you talked yourself into waiting. $1000 less money, larger FOV. The Kahles goes from 27.8' to 5.5' throughout its magnification range. The Burris goes from 37.7' to 6.8'. The FOV is very good on the Burris. I think that's going to be a very strong point for this scope.

As you mentioned the Kahles is shorter, it's exactly an inch. The XTR3 is about 3ozs lighter. Feature for feature they are both pretty solid. The Burris has 35mils elevation versus 30 for the Kahles. Both have 25 yard parallax and covered windage. The Burris has a locking diopter, not sure on the Kahles. I think it boils down to the glass on the Burris. If it turns out to be as bright as folks have said and have good depth and a quality sight picture, I think it will be a good opportunity for folks to save a little money and still end up with a great quality optic.

As close as it is to hitting the market with hands on feedback any day now, no harm in riding it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: manki77
I think Kahles makes a very good scope. I really like their stuff. Honestly though, I think you talked yourself into waiting. $1000 less money, larger FOV. The Kahles goes from 27.8' to 5.5' throughout its magnification range. The Burris goes from 37.7' to 6.8'. The FOV is very good on the Burris. I think that's going to be a very strong point for this scope.

As you mentioned the Kahles is shorter, it's exactly an inch. The XTR3 is about 3ozs lighter. Feature for feature they are both pretty solid. The Burris has 35mils elevation versus 30 for the Kahles. Both have 25 yard parallax and covered windage. The Burris has a locking diopter, not sure on the Kahles. I think it boils down to the glass on the Burris. If it turns out to be as bright as folks have said and have good depth and a quality sight picture, I think it will be a good opportunity for folks to save a little money and still end up with a great quality optic.

As close as it is to hitting the market with hands on feedback any day now, no harm in riding it out.
I am anxious to compare as well, if the Burris holds up optically and mechanically (compared to other scopes in its price class) my K318i may hit the classifieds. The only downside is I’m waiting for SCR2 and illumination so it may take a while. The good news is by the time the SCR2i hits there should be plenty of feedback to know how the XTR III in general holds up

Reactions: D_TROS

That was a great breakdown. Thanks! You're right though I basically talked myself into waiting. There are just so many great options available right now and on the horizon.

This is a serious consideration. I have a Kahles 525 and it’s awesome, but in that mag range I could go for saving a grand, particularly on some of my more beater rifles (which I seem to collect and never sell).

Aaahhhh! When these finally do start rolling out, I just might have to put my AMG on the chopping block. I think I could live with a little inferior glass quality, but a bigger FOV?

Looks like Valier...Watch out for Grizzlies! I shot the s3 the last 3 years, but had to miss it this year, I heard Sunday was fairly rugged. Would love to check out that scope, you doin any more shoots in MT?

Looks like Valier...Watch out for Grizzlies! I shot the s3 the last 3 years, but had to miss it this year, I heard Sunday was fairly rugged. Would love to check out that scope, you doin any more shoots in MT?

It was at Valier. Beautiful country. S3 was VERY brutal on sunday. We got screwed on a stage that the snow wouldn't allow our RF to work so we had to straight up guess distances. We would have milled them, but the RO didn't know the size of them.

This the last MT match till possibly the RTC finale wherever that is.

What grip is that?

My friend is 3D printing them (OBi). It isn't close to the MDT other than the mounting method. It is very large to mimic almost a fiberglass stock like a Manners. 100% better than the skinny weird MDT one.

and its actually glow in the dark filament! ha

Regards,
DT

Scope still tracking good. took 2nd this weekend. was an awesome time.

A23B8C8B-C795-4FD4-B60C-362BFF5AE05C.jpeg

Further review: this is first time ive noticed any CA mostly due some bright sun and white objects. there was some faint yellow/green fringing at high power. went away under 30x but just wanted to point that out. super weird. i did expect some abbarations at max power but that is about the only down i have found which is surprising for this price pt. this is a prototype before glass was finalized so maybe they fixed it. just letting you know my impressions.

compared to my Bushnell elite tact 4-30 its fov is 2 mils larger and at least as good glass if not better. again this is a prototype so eagerly awaiting production models.

my shooting pard shoots a tangent theta and he is impressed so thats sayin alot. this match had A TON of mirage and i think i was able to see targets as well as him. no im not comparing it optically to a TT thats silly but it gibe it one heck of a go. i did conpare to his TT and the TT was noticable better optically. about the same jump as the XTR3 is over the XTR2 so thats good.

i think the hide is going to love this thing

Regards
DT

Attachments

• 4F10787B-285D-4401-8E97-BED001FC913C.jpeg
    4F10787B-285D-4401-8E97-BED001FC913C.jpeg
    837.4 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Subwrx300

View attachment 7077416

Further review: this is first time ive noticed any CA mostly due some bright sun and white objects. there was some faint yellow/green fringing at high power. went away under 30x but just wanted to point that out. super weird. i did expect some abbarations at max power but that is about the only down i have found which is surprising for this price pt. this is a prototype before glass was finalized so maybe they fixed it. just letting you know my impressions.

compared to my Bushnell elite tact 4-30 its fov is 2 mils larger and at least as good glass if not better. again this is a prototype so eagerly awaiting production models.

my shooting pard shoots a tangent theta and he is impressed so thats sayin alot. this match had A TON of mirage and i think i was able to see targets as well as him. no im not comparing it optically to a TT thats silly but it gibe it one heck of a go. i did conpare to his TT and the TT was noticable better optically. about the same jump as the XTR3 is over the XTR2 so thats good.

Regards
DT

Burris currently has my XTRii in their possession on warranty work... Sure would be nice if they'd offer me a discounted XTRiii if they can't fix my XTRii haha.

View attachment 7077416

Regards
DT
Dorgan,

What pack is that? Nice little compact setup from the looks of it!

Reactions: Patriots1884
Dorgan,

What pack is that? Nice little compact setup from the looks of it!

Kifaru Express with AL stays. Ive packed 70 lbs in it during training runs. They stopped making them awhile ago. Ive had it since 2012. Love it, but its a little big for a day bag. I think it is right at 2000cu in. Love it tho. Just need something with more organization...

GL
DT

Kifaru Express with AL stays. Ive packed 70 lbs in it during training runs. They stopped making them awhile ago. Ive had it since 2012. Love it, but its a little big for a day bag. I think it is right at 2000cu in. Love it tho. Just need something with more organization...

GL
DT
One of these days, someone will design a pack specifically for PRS comps. A compartment for (2) 100 round MTM boxes, kestrel pouch, pen holders on the outside, rangefinder and bino compartments, pocket for heavy bag, misc clamp/accessories pocket, and cell phone and keys pouch.

Key is that all of it can be accessed easily while back is lying flat. Something like a camera backpack with dividers that are both semi customizable and sturdy enough for the type of weight we run.

I'm gonna look at some of the Kifarus. Thanks!

Reactions: 260284 and D_TROS
One of these days, someone will design a pack specifically for PRS comps. A compartment for (2) 100 round MTM boxes, kestrel pouch, pen holders on the outside, rangefinder and bino compartments, pocket for heavy bag, misc clamp/accessories pocket, and cell phone and keys pouch.

Key is that all of it can be accessed easily while back is lying flat. Something like a camera backpack with dividers that are both semi customizable and sturdy enough for the type of weight we run.

I'm gonna look at some of the Kifarus. Thanks!

Subwrx300 check out the Eberlestock Upranger pack. It is everything you just described and more. The whole top flap opens up to a custom divider setup, with a hard bottom so you can set it everwhere but still not get your back dirty. It was originally designed for 3-gun type stuff in mind but it works amazing for PRS as well! Best of all made right here in Boise, ID.

• Love
Quick update: I expect to have XTR III 3.3-18x50 in my possession some time in the next few days. It will be very interesting to go and test it out. I have great hopes for this optic.

In unrelated news, it sounds like Burris wrapped up with the legal vetting of their tree reticle design, so we should see updated drawings on their website shortly. If they send me anything, I'll post it here.

ILya

Subwrx300 check out the Eberlestock Upranger pack. It is everything you just described and more. The whole top flap opens up to a custom divider setup, with a hard bottom so you can set it everwhere but still not get your back dirty. It was originally designed for 3-gun type stuff in mind but it works amazing for PRS as well! Best of all made right here in Boise, ID.

Damn! That is sooooo close to what I want! It looks like it has some serious volume and strong. The poly back is a cool idea for sure!

I'm going to put that on the short list for possible fall buys. Super slick!

Brady beat me to it. The Eberlestock UpRanger is pretty much ideal for PRS competitions.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the XTR3 Ilya..

Quick update: I expect to have XTR III 3.3-18x50 in my possession some time in the next few days. It will be very interesting to go and test it out. I have great hopes for this optic.

In unrelated news, it sounds like Burris wrapped up with the legal vetting of their tree reticle design, so we should see updated drawings on their website shortly. If they send me anything, I'll post it here.

ILya
Just want to say thanks for all of your information, @koshkin . I read your blog and you have saved me a lot of wasted time, effort, and money in my choice of scopes. I hope you know how much this is appreciated! Looking forward to your review of the XTR III.

Just want to say thanks for all of your information, @koshkin . I read your blog and you have saved me a lot of wasted time, effort, and money in my choice of scopes. I hope you know how much this is appreciated! Looking forward to your review of the XTR III.

You are very welcome.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Vortex Razor HD Gen2 EBR-7c... the ONLY thing stopping me is the coming Burris XTR3. I had the opportunity to peak through RJ's 3.3-18x in Raton a couple months ago side-by-side with my XTR2 3-15x. The reticles were both SCR mil but the XTR3 was crisper, cleaner, clearer. The glass on the XTR3 seemed brighter and somehow more colorful too. All in all it is an improvement over the XTR2 but is it enough of an improvement? Hell yes it is. The unavailability is the only issue obviously.. I managed a measly 46 targets with my XTR2 and a tie for 3rd, I just know if I had the XTR3 I would have won...… kidding lol :p
Patiently waiting for the SCR2 reticle and trying to decide if the RaceDial is really something I need. The one I saw had it and it was pretty nifty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic

ILya
Nice, I am greatly anticipating to hear your thoughts of a production model you can run through the Koshkin Gauntlet :D