• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

I like my XTR2, it's the best scope that I own. Had a cert so I just ordered an XTR3.

This late thread debate inspired me to print out one of those eye tests and post it to a pole 100yd down the street. Comparing The XTR2 to an Athlon Argos ($275) and a Vortex Viper($400) the glass is about the same as the Argos and not as clear as the Viper all at 20x

Clear as in ability to read the smallest text.
Argos and XTR2 I could make out most of 9 and Viper I could read all of 10.

Do you think I should send in my XTR2?
If you notice any discoloration or fuzzyness I would atleast have them check it out. They might give you a newer production xtr2.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Bushnell Sniper Adventure Challenge go time boys

F290BEB1-65D5-409E-B632-84F1C554183F.jpeg

58 lbs. was hoping for under 55 but i cant complain. last year was over 60.

MDT LSSXL
Kelblys Atlas
Burris XTR3

Will give AAR monday morning!!

Regards
DT

Last edited:
Bushnell Sniper Adventure Challenge go time boys

View attachment 7254594View attachment 7254594

58 lbs. was hoping for under 55 but i cant complain. last year was over 60.

MDT LSSXL
Kelblys Atlas
Burris XTR3

Will give AAR monday morning!!

Regards
DT
Nice D_T! Who makes those claw feet for your tripod? I have a PVA COMP-40 and have been looking for something like that.

Nice D_T! Who makes those claw feet for your tripod? I have a PVA COMP-40 and have been looking for something like that.
Pretty sure those are the stock/OE feet on the MDT Ckye-pod. They detach similar to Atlas, you might be able to get them direct from MDT and fit if it's the same style of feet?

Can’t wait to read more. I’m seriously looking at picking up a 5.5-30x soon

Last edited:
Just finished the 2020 Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge in Ellerbe, NC. 3 days in the forest covering over 30 miles forced rucks between shooting stages. our packs weighed ~65lbs with rifle pistol ammo food tripod and camping gear (tent 2lb bag jet boil), and any other misc we may need. If you at any ruck you dont make the req max time per mile you are done for the weekend.
I was using the Lanner 5400 Seek Outside my partner has a K2 2200. His pack was grossly full mine was way to big.

7E89E3CF-D912-44F7-97A2-F2A5F546BD1C.JPG

The elevation change on rucks, 17* weather, snow, rain, and muddy roads made for a LONG weekend but we survived (and i mean survived) for a 2nd place finish in the toughman division firing over 100 rifle and pistol rnds ea.
Kelbly's Inc. Rifle
Burris Optics XTR3
SIG SAUER Pistols
Ivory Holsters
@MDT_OFFICIAL LSS-XL stocks

IMG_6235.JPG

The biggest plus i feel besides having smoking accurate rifles was how well our packs rode. Nver a rub or hot spot or cramping. Beautiful when a plan works. (my calfs on day 3 on other hand...lol)

Biggest downside - weight
spots to cut:
- pistol P320 X5
- tripod (feisol)
- bipod (Ckye-Pod triple pull)

Anyway to stay on topic of thread, the XTR3 was perfect. My partner using the 3-18. me the 5-30
Cant tell you how good it is to truly be able to trust a scopes tracking...THEN good glass as well.

HASHTAGMERICA!!!

IMG_6292.JPG

GL
DT

Congrats DT on the 2nd place finish in what sounds like an awesome match! Love the Kermit green rifle. I see the frost on your XTR III in the one pic, how cold did it get, did you have any issues with glass fogging up or tight rings (mag, parallax) or?

Reactions: D_TROS
Congrats DT on the 2nd place finish in what sounds like an awesome match! Love the Kermit green rifle. I see the frost on your XTR III in the one pic, how cold did it get, did you have any issues with glass fogging up or tight rings (mag, parallax) or?

it got to 17* at night...mid 30's during the day. never noticed anything getting tough to spin or fog which is super nice.

one morning we did have to deal with the sun just peaking over the trees and was looking straight into the sun at white targets in the snow. I was able to see all the targets exceot for the smaller long distance one that wasn't painted.

What do you mean by "spots to cut", are you meaning these items were too heavy and you need to look for something lighter?

yes sir cut weight. really want to be under 60 lbs.

regards
DT

it got to 17* at night...mid 30's during the day. never noticed anything getting tough to spin or fog which is super nice.

one morning we did have to deal with the sun just peaking over the trees and was looking straight into the sun at white targets in the snow. I was able to see all the targets exceot for the smaller long distance one that wasn't painted.

yes sir cut weight. really want to be under 60 lbs.

regards
DT
How do you like that feisol?

I can't believe they dont have an illuminated reticle offered.

How do you like that feisol?

The feisol is a fantastic tripod. As good as anything IMO.

The trick came with mounting a different size head in the bowl. I had to cut pop can spacers (1/2" wide 6" long) to wrap around the ball head to get a snug fit then cranked the set screws down. WAY more effective than screwing the ballhead on the flat plate. Do not do that. very wobbly.

Would I get a RRS if the prices were the same? probably. but they arnt. its over double and I got this used for like 300.

MAKE sure you get the 406bullets.com spike feet for your tripod tho. very big improvement over the rubber feet that fall out.

GL
DT

Reactions: tam4511
Disregarding the weight difference and illumination, have these been out long enough to say, “yes, these compete with a Gen 2 Razor”? I guess looking solely at tracking, reliability, glass clarity

Man that's tough. The Gen2 has been around the block. I loved mine other than the locking knobs. Accidentally hit those a lot which was a nuisance.

Give it a year and I will say yes. Right now I give the edge to Gen2. There is always kinks to work out. Right now I say the glass is a push and tracking is a push. Just track record only can be filled with time. Ive been using them for going on 3 yrs now with nary a hiccup.

Ill nvr steer someone from a Gen2 tho. Just a solid option. But again, they are considerably differnet price differences. Isnt retail on the Gen 2 like $2500? too lazy to check right now but I know its several hundred more.

I feel confident saying this, cant go wrong with either. And Im not a Vortex fan. Both have top notch warranty lolol.

GL
DT

Man that's tough. The Gen2 has been around the block. I loved mine other than the locking knobs. Accidentally hit those a lot which was a nuisance.

Give it a year and I will say yes. Right now I give the edge to Gen2. There is always kinks to work out. Right now I say the glass is a push and tracking is a push. Just track record only can be filled with time. Ive been using them for going on 3 yrs now with nary a hiccup.

Ill nvr steer someone from a Gen2 tho. Just a solid option. But again, they are considerably differnet price differences. Isnt retail on the Gen 2 like $2500? too lazy to check right now but I know its several hundred more.

I feel confident saying this, cant go wrong with either. And Im not a Vortex fan. Both have top notch warranty lolol.

GL
DT
Hide vendors can get you one for under $1,600

Hide vendors can get you one for under $1,600

That's not even close to comparing apples to apples. Going off website pricing.

G2: $2899.99
XTR3: $2159

that's a little more than considerable price difference to me.
Obvious in that suggested price is quality of components. If the XTR3 can be mentioned in the same sentence as a G2, that's a win win IMO.

and its MADE IN AMERICA!!
F ya.

YMMV
DT

Great match this weekend. Was lucky to pull off a 2nd place. Was first rolling into the last stage up by 2 shots over dude that won. Went up and missed first 3 shots on a skylined targets. Darn it darn it lol. He cleaned the stage. Still happy.

Elevation was flat right on and during sight in I thought I missed the target a couple times as my shot went inside my previous shot. This bad boy is flat shooting.

MAN this blackbear action is crazy smooth. Literally had to check a couple times to make sure a round fed into chamber. I have or have owned all actions except for an Impact, and this guy is noticeably by far the smoothest Ive ran.

The only down side is the flat base of the action I cant swap into other stocks BUT XLR makes a chassi that is inletted for it. I hope other companies start to do the same. Will be a big selling pt but I guess I cant complain my Kelblys bedded KTS stock had no problems with accuracy dept.

SPECS
- Blackbear Action
- Krieger barrel 26"
- VV N140 30.0 grains
- 105 bergers going 2800
- Kelbly KTS stock
- Burris XTR3 with race dial (very very useful)
- SCR2 retc
- SAP 2 rnd holder (short br version)

CAMEO 2019 3.jpg

CAMEO 2019 2.jpg

Regards
DT

Obvious in that suggested price is quality of components. If the XTR3 can be mentioned in the same sentence as a G2, that's a win win IMO.

F ya.

YMMV
DT

Made in america is debatable. If are, Burris made a huge mistake in not putting anywhere on the box or scope.

F ya.

YMMV
DT
Msrp doesn't mean anything. 90% of the time, msrp is high and street price is low so that people think that they are getting a deal and it sells more. Who would look at a G2 at almost $3k or a Leupold for $6k? But people see them on the streets for 40% off and it looks like a huge steal. I'm not arguing for or against either scope , just saying that comparing MSRP is pointless unless that's the price you are paying.

Made in america is debatable. If are, Burris made a huge mistake in not putting anywhere on the box or scope.
"Made" in America is probably the wrong term, it should rather be "Assembled" in America as I believe parts are still coming from overseas. The Vortex AMG series I believe are the only truly "Made" in America scopes where everything is sourced here in the USA (though latest gens have their reticles etched in Germany, but glass is still from USA if I recall). That being said, I still think Assembled in USA holds some weight, instead of having cheap labor overseas they are deciding to put together here in the USA and in the long run that benefits everybody (in the USA of course).

F ya.

YMMV
DT

The actually street prices (which one can assume are MAP prices) are very similar between the two, and the Mark 5hd also depending on models chosen.

3.6-18 MK5 $1800
3.3-18 XTR3 $1750
3-18 RZR G2 $1700

5-25 MK5 $2000
5.5-30 XTR3 $1850
4.5-27 RZR G2 $2000

Vendor prices are often even closer.

I looked through a burris for a quick moment at a recent match, glass looked good and I could easily ID targets out to 800.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I’ve struggled with this for years.

It seems like Burris has a few guys in the product management and engineering department that are clearly very smart and capable of coming out with features and tweaks that are unique and desirable.

Yet time and time again they seem to be hampered by what I assume is out-of-touch European ownership and bureaucracy.

It’s disappointing to see yet another Burris product that seems to be on-par (in terms of IQ) with 5-year-old Vortex product at a similar street price point.

Another pain-point is the service; not even speaking to the warranty itself, but Burris needs to unfuck their service department.

It’s pretty disheartening to have multiple friends return (or later sell at a loss) products that I recommended because of obvious, easily verifiable failures (flickering illumination under recoil on carbine LPVOs) and have them report back that the service folks at Burris called them liars and returned their scopes back as-is.

The complete lack of effort to fix their service and pricing has all the hallmarks of European management; when buyers are faced with choosing between the two optics with very-accessible Vortex veteran or industry discounts that bring the G2 under the XTR3 price, Burris just got handed another L.

XTR3 sales are doing very well. There have been a couple new product bugs, but they are working on them, and returns have been minimal.

The glass, features, and price point is right where they want it to be. They never set out to make an alpha glass scope. If its equal to a 5 year old Razor that happens to be the best selling precision rifle competition scope on the market, then so be it.

And just like everyone else, CS horror stories abound. Everyone has some to share, it's a Pandoura's box in this day and age. I've had lousy issues with both Vortex and Bushnell, but still enjoy the brands, I still own products from both manufacturers. I think Vortex is probably the best CS in the business, but that still doesnt save them from making mistakes and upsetting customers. They have very deep pockets and make good use of it.

Feedback has been pretty positive over the handful of social media sites I follow. I'm sure Burris will do just fine with the optic. Appreciate the feedback though..

GL
DT
Man I really appreciate the thought and time put into your reply. I’m currently running a gen 2 3-18 and was looking at the bigger 4.5-27 or the 5-30 XTR III. Not in a hurry so I’ll keep tabs on how they continue to perform. Figured you would be the guy to ask, so thanks again.

Reactions: D_TROS