• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

So, I've been running the XTR III 5.5-30X56 for a little while now for a review I was working on and along the way I'd been comparing it to my NF 5-25 ATACR. Unfortunately, I don't have a Vortex Gen II to compare it to but compared to the NF, the two are really very close. Doing a side by side comparison of the two looking at the same objects, the NF had a little better IQ with less CA and maybe slightly better resolution. That being said, the Burris was no slouch so when I say the NF had slightly better IQ I mean that if the NF was a 10, the Burris would be a 8.5-9. I did notice that when the scopes were set to the same magnification it seemed like the Burris had a slightly better eye box with a similar field of view.

I've tested the tracking on both scopes and both scopes tracked perfectly, nothing really earth shattering to report there. I like the feel of the elevation knob better on the NF but I think that's because I'm used to it, the Burris elevation knob is still very audible and tactile, not mushy at all. Oddly enough, the Burris has better feel on the windage knob compared to the NF. Parallax is equal between them in so far as feel and function, but I'd say the numbers on the Burris are closer to being accurate, at least as far as I could unscientifically test at 50, 100, 300 and closer out to infinity.

All in all I think the Burris is a solid option in the sub-$2000 category considering that it's more than a $1,000 cheaper than the NF, lighter, and the same length while having an extra 5X on the top end. Again, I don't have a Gen II Razor to compare this too but I imagine it'd compare favorably there as well while also being much lighter. I've good luck with Burris optics in the past so I have every confidence in this scope.

So, I've been running the XTR III 5.5-30X56 for a little while now for a review I was working on and along the way I'd been comparing it to my NF 5-25 ATACR. Unfortunately, I don't have a Vortex Gen II to compare it to but compared to the NF, the two are really very close. Doing a side by side comparison of the two looking at the same objects, the NF had a little better IQ with less CA and maybe slightly better resolution. That being said, the Burris was no slouch so when I say the NF had slightly better IQ I mean that if the NF was a 10, the Burris would be a 8.5-9. I did notice that when the scopes were set to the same magnification it seemed like the Burris had a slightly better eye box with a similar field of view.

I've tested the tracking on both scopes and both scopes tracked perfectly, nothing really earth shattering to report there. I like the feel of the elevation knob better on the NF but I think that's because I'm used to it, the Burris elevation knob is still very audible and tactile, not mushy at all. Oddly enough, the Burris has better feel on the windage knob compared to the NF. Parallax is equal between them in so far as feel and function, but I'd say the numbers on the Burris are closer to being accurate, at least as far as I could unscientifically test at 50, 100, 300 and closer out to infinity.

All in all I think the Burris is a solid option in the sub-$2000 category considering that it's more than a $1,000 cheaper than the NF, lighter, and the same length while having an extra 5X on the top end. Again, I don't have a Gen II Razor to compare this too but I imagine it'd compare favorably there as well while also being much lighter. I've good luck with Burris optics in the past so I have every confidence in this scope.
I'd be curious, you mention FOV was fairly similar but the XTR III is using what appears to be a wide angle eyepiece and spec wise shows much wider FOV at the bottom end compared to the ATACR. If you get a chance, take a look with both set at bottom mag and then around 10x on both and share your results, also, while you're testing this, also look at edge to edge sharpness between the two at these mags. This is one area (FOV) where it seems the XTR III has a big advantage which I've come to appreciate in newer scopes.

I can do that, maybe today but it's about dark when I get home usually. I knew right after I hit post reply that I should've prefaced that when I said the FOV was similar, my unscientific method for testing this was to put them on the same magnification, pointed at the same object, and observe. Generally, I saw objects in about the same place in the field of view as the other one but no real way to measure the actual FOV.

I can do that, maybe today but it's about dark when I get home usually. I knew right after I hit post reply that I should've prefaced that when I said the FOV was similar, my unscientific method for testing this was to put them on the same magnification, pointed at the same object, and observe. Generally, I saw objects in about the same place in the field of view as the other one but no real way to measure the actual FOV.
That's what I do as well, I don't actually measure but I set both to the same magnification and then observe the extremes of the left and right side of the FOV (edges). One other consideration is the fact that magnification ring markings are not always accurate, so 10x on one scope and 10x on another scope could actually be slightly "off", but no need to burden yourself with that, I trust your eyes as you are familiar with both scopes.

FOV on 5-25 ATACR is 18.7 at 5x at 100 vs 23 at 5.5x with the Burris.

Does the Burris do well against the ATACR? Seems like different opinions on this. QC is probably part of it.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just compared the two again 25X, 19X, 10X, and low power. 25X was easy because the magnification ring on both scopes is engraved with a "25" but after that it gets a little iffier because they are engraved the same. The NF is engraved with "19" but I had to go just past the "20" on the XTR III, same for "10", the NF isn't labeled so I lined it up between "9" and "11".

Now all that being said, the object that I was viewing was about 1,200 yards away with an adjacent field on the left side and trees the other side. Due to my positioning I also had a power pole about 75 yards away that will come into play later.

25X: It was really too close to call between the two, what I could see in the FOV was pretty much the same.

19X: Still pretty close to call definitively.

10X: The edge goes to the XTR III as the wider FOV is becoming more noticeable, I can see a little more into the adjacent field and a good bit of the power pole in the right side of my field of view. With the NF the FOV is more narrow and I'm not seeing as much of the power pole.

Low power (5X for the NF, 5.5X for the XTRIII): Yeah the difference in FOV here is pretty stunning, the Burris is much wider compared to the NF, I'm seeing way back to the corner of the adjacent field and the whole width of the power pole and then some. In the NF, I have about half the pile of lumber that's in the back corner of the field in the left side of my FOV and can't quite see the entire width of the power pole in the right side.

In terms of edge to edge clarity both scopes are good, I didn't notice any major edge distortion or anything in either scope. Again, the eye box is a lot better on the Burris at just about every magnification compared to my ATACR but the ATACR had better IQ in my opinion, that being said the difference really wouldn't hold you back.

So there you have it. In my opinion, both have great fit and finish, perfectly functional, tracking is spot on. An edge goes to the NF for overall image quality but concedes some ground to the Burris in terms of eye box and FOV at lower magnification.

Magnification rings are usually engraved wrong in the center of the adjustment range, so you have to be careful there.

The most direct way to measure FOV on tactical scopes is to use the reticle. On 25x, you can easily calculate how many mrad (or MOA if you are one of those weirdos) the FOV is. As you go down in magnification, some reticle do not extend all the way out, but at higher mags you should be able to measure quite easily.

ILya

Ok, so I just compared the two again 25X, 19X, 10X, and low power. 25X was easy because the magnification ring on both scopes is engraved with a "25" but after that it gets a little iffier because they are engraved the same. The NF is engraved with "19" but I had to go just past the "20" on the XTR III, same for "10", the NF isn't labeled so I lined it up between "9" and "11".

Now all that being said, the object that I was viewing was about 1,200 yards away with an adjacent field on the left side and trees the other side. Due to my positioning I also had a power pole about 75 yards away that will come into play later.

25X: It was really too close to call between the two, what I could see in the FOV was pretty much the same.

10X: The edge goes to the XTR III as the wider FOV is becoming more noticeable, I can see a little more into the adjacent field and a good bit of the power pole in the right side of my field of view. With the NF the FOV is more narrow and I'm not seeing as much of the power pole.

Low power (5X for the NF, 5.5X for the XTRIII): Yeah the difference in FOV here is pretty stunning, the Burris is much wider compared to the NF, I'm seeing way back to the corner of the adjacent field and the whole width of the power pole and then some. In the NF, I have about half the pile of lumber that's in the back corner of the field in the left side of my FOV and can't quite see the entire width of the power pole in the right side.

In terms of edge to edge clarity both scopes are good, I didn't notice any major edge distortion or anything in either scope. Again, the eye box is a lot better on the Burris at just about every magnification compared to my ATACR but the ATACR had better IQ in my opinion, that being said the difference really wouldn't hold you back.

So there you have it. In my opinion, both have great fit and finish, perfectly functional, tracking is spot on. An edge goes to the NF for overall image quality but concedes some ground to the Burris in terms of eye box and FOV at lower magnification.
Thank you for that TM, I have known that while the NF has narrow FOV at the low end it quickly picks it up throughout the mag range due to the optical design. Good to know about the edge clarity/sharpness between both and I'm actually surprised the XTR III had the better eyebox throughout. Appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Thank you for that

I'm an unabashed fan of Nightforce but this XTR III is pretty legit.

Great comparison. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Using the reticle as Koshkin suggests, if my memory serves me, my scope at 30x versus a 7-35x NF set at 30x gave the Burris about an extra .4 to .5 mils per side. By the time they were down to 15x it was like 1.2mils per side. I dont remember the numbers exactly, and that was of course using the mag ring as the power indicator.

The NX8 is the only scope I've seen that comes close to the Burris FOV. The 20x NF versus my scope set on 20x gave the Burris a .2 advantage per side.

I'm an unabashed fan of Nightforce but this XTR III is pretty legit.
I'm not a scope snob, but I have to agree, I put an XTR III on my wife's rifle and I really like it. Other than the reticle being a little thin for my eye's it's solid. I'd can't say I like it better than my ATACR but damn, it was over a thousand dollars cheaper and my wife likes it.
Carl

Reactions: Birddog6424
PM that info if you don't mind.
No kidding

Here's a source for a good buy..

Reactions: PAYDIRT
I put my XTRIII through the ringer at 2 matches so far this year (my first year competing!) and it's awesome. Having used it practically and under stress I have zero complaints.

Clarity is awesome, adjustments are crisp, and it tracks dead on. You can't ask for much more.

Just thought I'd chime in with an update on mine since I've had it for about 6mo now.

I can get these at a Hide price option if anybody interested. It just might take a while for shipping. If this is allowed.
I put my XTRIII through the ringer at 2 matches so far this year (my first year competing!) and it's awesome. Having used it practically and under stress I have zero complaints.

Clarity is awesome, adjustments are crisp, and it tracks dead on. You can't ask for much more.

Just thought I'd chime in with an update on mine since I've had it for about 6mo now.

If you have an XTRII or used one, How does the III compare?

The XTR III is pretty much better in every way save for being non-illuminated. The XTR III has better image quality, turret feel, a better reticle option (SCR2), locking diopter adjustment, better parallax adjustment range, covered windage knob with optional replacement, Race Dial option, I could probably go on.

Reactions: FredHammer
The XTR III is pretty much better in every way save for being non-illuminated. The XTR III has better image quality, turret feel, a better reticle option (SCR2), locking diopter adjustment, better parallax adjustment range, covered windage knob with optional replacement, Race Dial option, I could probably go on.

Thank you, Sir. I have 3 XTR II scopes. 5-25X50, 1.5-8X28, and 1-8X24. That 1-8 is LOW Jap made. I have looked and looked and tried to find a difference in glass between the two LPVOs. I can't tell a difference. I do notice a difference in graphics and turret feel. The LOW 1-8 has slightly more positive clicks and the logos are brighter/cleaner. Both of these scope are top notch though. The 1.5-8 helped my dump some TX hogs without mercy! Lol

My 5-25X50 XTR II was compared to my new Bushnell Elite Tactical HDMR II. I couldn't tell a difference in glass quality. The DMR eye box is a bit more forgiving. The biggest difference was the parallax adjuster dial. On the Bushnell, the dial is engaged at all times and smooth like a stereo dial. The XTR II is loose, picks up the adjuster, then gets loose again when dialing. You just don't recognize these little differences until you do direct comparisons.

SO, I told you all this to say I have a hard-on for this XTR III I'm seeiing so much about. I am a bit up-in-the-air about getting an XTR III or get another Bushnell HDMR II.

I think I’ll be making a purchase once the illuminated models come out. Probably don’t need it but I’d rather have it and never use it than have the opposite situation occur

I got a great care package today. I'm excited about playing with it.

A new 30x XTR3 with the SCR2 reticle, a couple new Race Dials, and a handful of the Burris throw levers.

I like the lever. Machined aluminum and very simple clamshell design. Notches on the inside for solid purchase. Pretty bulletproof. These throw levers are designed to fit the XTR3, XTR2, and Veracity..

I'm very excited about the Race Dial. I love the ease of use this offers for both PRS and NRL22. Im excited about the prospect of zeroing at 50 yards and setting it as zero for my 22. Then marking 75, 100, and any greater distances on the turret and taping it over. All dope for the match day completed. So much potential here.

The turrets are fantastic on this scope. Tight and very audible. It looks great, I played with it in the failing light I love how bright it is.

Good stuff!!

Last edited:
I can get these at a Hide price option if anybody interested. It just might take a while for shipping. If this is allowed.

If you have an XTRII or used one, How does the III compare?
Yes I had an XTRII for about a year before I upgraded to the III. As anyone with the II knows, it's a great scope all around, but the optical quality is lacking. The XTRIII sustains the robustness, tracking, and quality of the II and adds great glass, an impressive spec sheet, and even better turrets. I've compared the glass to two NF ATACR's and they were very close to the XTRIII.
It's a solid upgrade and the best scope in the price point for most needs.

Part number for the MIL Race Dial is #626027.

I'm working on getting a part number for the throw lever.

Edit; Throw lever is #626025
The only place I can find them is shooting sports, but for $80 that seems extremely steep. Is that really what they are going for?

I bought @wjm308’s XTR3 and it’s been great. I am very impressed with it and glad I went with it over a Vortex G2 Razor 3-18. I sold a S&B US 3-20 and went to this and don’t really feel like I lost a lot besides illumination. Scopes have come a long way recently and Burris really did a good job with this one in my opinion.

Attachments

• 59ADE3F2-E07D-42BE-A4AA-9BFEE52653EF.jpeg
    59ADE3F2-E07D-42BE-A4AA-9BFEE52653EF.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 83
  • C6F8C933-79EC-42C3-97FF-60B01926FF93.jpeg
    C6F8C933-79EC-42C3-97FF-60B01926FF93.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 82
I bought @wjm308’s XTR3 and it’s been great. I am very impressed with it and glad I went with it over a Vortex G2 Razor 3-18.

Aside from weight savings, any particular reason you prefer the XTRIII to the Razor? Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks!

I have been behind the Razor at classes and feel the XTR3 had better field of view and was brighter. The brightness and clarity stood out to me compared to Razor. They really did pick up their game with the glass compared to the XTR2

Reactions: Basher
I bought @wjm308’s XTR3 and it’s been great. I am very impressed with it and glad I went with it over a Vortex G2 Razor 3-18. I sold a S&B US 3-20 and went to this and don’t really feel like I lost a lot besides illumination. Scopes have come a long way recently and Burris really did a good job with this one in my opinion.
That is a sweet rig Chasing, I just bought an AI AT and it should ship tomorrow hopefully. I'm glad you're enjoying the XTR III, it is a sweet scope and looks really nice on your AI.

Reactions: Chasing3
Does anyone have any inside knowledge or any info as to the release of illumination?

Great match this weekend. Was lucky to pull off a 2nd place. Was first rolling into the last stage up by 2 shots over dude that won. Went up and missed first 3 shots on a skylined targets. Darn it darn it lol. He cleaned the stage. Still happy.

Elevation was flat right on and during sight in I thought I missed the target a couple times as my shot went inside my previous shot. This bad boy is flat shooting.

MAN this blackbear action is crazy smooth. Literally had to check a couple times to make sure a round fed into chamber. I have or have owned all actions except for an Impact, and this guy is noticeably by far the smoothest Ive ran.

The only down side is the flat base of the action I cant swap into other stocks BUT XLR makes a chassi that is inletted for it. I hope other companies start to do the same. Will be a big selling pt but I guess I cant complain my Kelblys bedded KTS stock had no problems with accuracy dept.

SPECS
- Blackbear Action
- Krieger barrel 26"
- VV N140 30.0 grains
- 105 bergers going 2800
- Kelbly KTS stock
- Burris XTR3 with race dial (very very useful)
- SCR2 retc
- SAP 2 rnd holder (short br version)

View attachment 7274608

View attachment 7274607

Regards
DT
Lots of great scope talk here, but man, that is one sweet bandana!

The only place I can find them is shooting sports, but for $80 that seems extremely steep. Is that really what they are going for?

I know a bunch of them have shipped per the Burris management I spoke to early last week. I've never heard a number on pricing.

I have been behind the Razor at classes and feel the XTR3 had better field of view and was brighter. The brightness and clarity stood out to me compared to Razor. They really did pick up their game with the glass compared to the XTR2

I agree.

I've compared to the G2 Razor on numerous occasions now. It's been the same thing every time with crazy consistancy. The Razor is a little deeper when looking at blue colors, the Burris is brighter and has more FOV. And I personally believe the eyebox is a little better on the Burris at max magnifications, but it's a small margin.

The Burris is a better low light scope than the Razor or ATACR. I havent compared to the MK5 as yet in those conditions.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge or any info as to the release of illumination?

I don't have a date for release. But I have been told that Burris has taken the illumination design back to the drawing board for this optic. Rather than use the components and methods used on the XTR2, they've decided to engineer a new system that will be more robust from the ground up. They have an all new scope, with an in house etched reticle using state of the art equipment, they decided they wanted to suffer the delay to get it right the first time.

The attitude with this optic is to step up to a high quality scope where they pulled out all the stops to get it right, and didn't cut corners. All while maintaining a decent price point. Just as they did with the release date delay, they know this may slow down the time it takes to bring the illuminated versions to market. But I think they really want to get this right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radar20 and D_TROS
I don't have a date for release. But I have been told that Burris has taken the illumination design back to the drawing board for this optic. Rather than use the components and methods used on the XTR2, they've decided to engineer a new system that will be more robust from the ground up. They have an all new scope, with an in house etched reticle using state of the art equipment, they decided they wanted to suffer the delay to get it right the first time.

The attitude with this optic is to step up to a high quality scope where they pulled out all the stops to get it right, and didn't cut corners. All while maintaining a decent price point. Just as they did with the release date delay, they know this may slow down the time it takes to bring the illuminated versions to market. But I think they really want to get this right.

A "good news and bad news" situation ;) The bad news being that illumination is going to be delayed some, the good news is they want to rework the design and make it even better. Any chance they might consider making the SCR2 a bit thicker in the illuminated version, I like the design of the reticle but wish it were a bit thicker.

Reactions: CarlM
Is there any speculation to the price of the illuminated model?

If you're ok with just speculation, I would guess $150'ish.

Based off the price reduction the XTR2 models received when they rolled out non-illuminated models.

A "good news and bad news" situation ;) The bad news being that illumination is going to be delayed some, the good news is they want to rework the design and make it even better. Any chance they might consider making the SCR2 a bit thicker in the illuminated version, I like the design of the reticle but wish it were a bit thicker.

My thoughts exactly. I was bummed to hear they were delaying it, but glad to hear they are taking the extra effort to make sure its solid.

I won't say a thicker reticle is off the table for illuminated models. They may discover it aids in the quality. I will bump it up that a thicker reticle is a recurring request. And it makes sense when you consider that the illuminated versions will most likely be the crossover hunting optic.

Reactions: Glassaholic
@wjm308
As soon as I posted above, I immediately kicked off a text to a Burris sales manager that I speak to periodically.

The official feedback is that the non-illuminated SCR2 was intentionally designed as a very thin, unobtrusive reticle for competition purposes. The illuminated models will have a thicker version of the SCR2 to aid in the quality of the illumination and better serve as a hunting crossover optic.

Ask and you shall receive ;)

The trick being at this point, to patiently/impatiently await the arrival of the illuminated models.

@wjm308
As soon as I posted above, I immediately kicked off a text to a Burris sales manager that I speak to periodically.

The official feedback is that the non-illuminated SCR2 was intentionally designed as a very thin, unobtrusive reticle for competition purposes. The illuminated models will have a thicker version of the SCR2 to aid in the quality of the illumination and better serve as a hunting crossover optic.

The trick being at this point, to patiently/impatiently await the arrival of the illuminated models.
Fantastic news on the SCR2 being thicker for the illuminated and I’m not too surprised as it’s harder to illuminate thinner reticles in these scope designs.

@wjm308

This is great news.

Just need Burris to make the scope.
The world to come out of lock down.
My local exchange rate to improve against the USD.

Maybe 2022 will be the year I buy a XTR3......

I see a few have mentioned the XTRIII having a brighter image and better FoV than the gen 2 Razor. I have one of the Razors but have never used a Burris.

For those that have used both extensively, how does the new XTR compare to the Razor in terms of resolution and handling chromatic aberration?

I can't decide if my dedicated prs scope should be RZR 2 or XTR III?

Awesome thread guys. I have XTR 2 and didn’t realize how sub-par the glass was until I looked through newer Rzr. Glad to hear XTR 3 is on par as I have really like all me Burris optics and plan to get a 3 as soon as this do do is finished.

I can't decide if my dedicated prs scope should be RZR 2 or XTR III?
Right there with you. Im still holding out hope for a RZR Gen 3 this year and an illuminated XTRIII. XTRIII will still win out if you have hunting in mind since im sure it will still be a pound lighter than a new RZR but who knows.

I would think it's a little late in the game for a higher magnification Gen III Razor this year. I suspect Shot 2021 will offer some clues.

I would think it's a little late in the game for a higher magnification Gen III Razor this year. I suspect Shot 2021 will offer some clues.
I was holding out for the NRA show that was suppose to be April 17th. So One more chance, maybe.

Vortex did a product announcement in July last year.
This July they will announce the new PST G2 4-20x50, 5-25x56 and a 2-10x32 with the EBR-9 reticle, and Gen 3 Razor line.

Dreams are free...........

I got a great care package today. I'm excited about playing with it.

A new 30x XTR3 with the SCR2 reticle, a couple new Race Dials, and a handful of the Burris throw levers.

I like the lever. Machined aluminum and very simple clamshell design. Notches on the inside for solid purchase. Pretty bulletproof. These throw levers are designed to fit the XTR3, XTR2, and Veracity..

I'm very excited about the Race Dial. I love the ease of use this offers for both PRS and NRL22. Im excited about the prospect of zeroing at 50 yards and setting it as zero for my 22. Then marking 75, 100, and any greater distances on the turret and taping it over. All dope for the match day completed. So much potential here.

The turrets are fantastic on this scope. Tight and very audible. It looks great, I played with it in the failing light I love how bright it is.

Good stuff!!

You might want to lock tight the top part on the new race dial mine kept coming in done. The old one didnt