• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

For what it's worth, I was one of the ones who got a sub-par XTR III in that first batch; however, Burris took care of me in less than a week and got me a brand new scope that was outstanding optically. Not too long ago I saw a great deal in the classifieds on a 5.5-30 and decided it was time to replace my PST II 5-25 on my trainer hoping the XTR III would exceed my expectations, so I purchased a used XTR III that has been phenomenal so far, the scope is punching above its class with regard to optical quality. So having had both a 3.3-18x50 and now the 5.5-30x56 I can say these scopes represent the best glass I've seen at this price and magnification (I haven't tried everything but I've tried quite a few). My only gripe is for Burris to get illumination to market asap.
These would get serious attention by me if the illumination was present. But I've got 2 scopes without it and really wish the had illumination. Granted, they are LHRS's but the point being for 1800+ illumination should be "standard."

Someone who knows more will likely chime in, but Burris / Steiner was reportedly doing some manufacturing in Greely, Colorado.

Designed, machined, and assembled does not mean made in America. Leupold says the same thing.

Someone who knows more will likely chime in, but Burris / Steiner was reportedly doing some manufacturing in Greely, Colorado.

The XTR 3 is designed, machined, assembled in Greely, CO. I live 30 min away and have been there. Ive seen em put together from solid bar stock to testing in the clean room. The only part not American is the lens. They qualify legally to advertise all over the box MADE IN USA but chose not to as Karens such as yourself get off on nit picking BS.

Some people like supporting US companies and US workers. Some like buying China/Jap crap cause they save $3. Take your soapbox elsewhere.
Even IF they were assembled in USA with all foreign parts that would be enough to support an American company over import scopes. Luckily this scope is Made in good ol America.

I also wholly support the AMG scope. Awesome little hunting package but this is a XTR 3 thread. BUT if you want to compare 2 USA MADE SCOPES that would be a good discussion.

GL
DT

Reactions: Chasing3
The XTR 3 is designed, machined, assembled in Greely, CO. I live 30 min away and have been there. Ive seen em put together from solid bar stock to testing in the clean room. The only part not American is the lens. They qualify legally to advertise all over the box MADE IN USA but chose not to as Karens such as yourself get off on nit picking BS.

Some people like supporting US companies and US workers. Some like buying China/Jap crap cause they save $3. Take your soapbox elsewhere.
Even IF they were assembled in USA with all foreign parts that would be enough to support an American company over import scopes. Luckily this scope is Made in good ol America.

I also wholly support the AMG scope. Awesome little hunting package but this is a XTR 3 thread. BUT if you want to compare 2 USA MADE SCOPES that would be a good discussion.

GL
DT

Ha no soap box. Im not saying they don’t support American jobs. That’s great. I’m not saying it’s a bad scope nor did I say don’t buy the scope. Designed, manufactured and assembled is lawyer talk. I feel like I read that @lowlight toured Burris and leupold and he didn’t see what you saw. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Designed, machined, and assembled does not mean made in America. Leupold says the same thing.

Sounds like you trying to shit up a thread to me.... Don't worry about my feelings, I couldn't care less about yours. Or your thoughts on Made in America/not Made in America.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
This is one of the problems we have, people posting about things they don’t know anything about. Other people jump in to show some semblance of facts. An argument ensues.

Get back to posting things you know about, and the level of intelligent content will rise. Otherwise take this shit to the Bearpit.

Reactions: Birddog6424
This thread is very long-running. Its been up since before the scope came to market. And as its been discussed many times...

The glass comes from Japan. Burris bought a new state of the art laser to etch the reticle onto the glass in Greeley.

The XTR3 was designed in Greeley. The prototypes were built there. And everything on the production models except for the aforementioned glass is manufactured there.

Its just about as made in the USA as we can expect from a riflescope..

They are redesigning it. We hope to hear announcements soon about the zero stop models. Hopefully they come to market in 2021.

Good thing they're redesigning the zero stop, way to simple now. Maybe if we could get serious about design changes, a illuminated reticle would make this scope about perfect for me.

Illuminating the ret is going to thicken it up according to Birddoggy. That's why I jumped on the non-illuminated version. I even find it a bit thick at 30X, but I can still see a pussyhair at 25yds... and smell one from 100 :D

THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS.

IMG_2592[1].JPG

Been using my 5.5-30 on a 223 trainer. Don't understand the want for a zero stop as I've got mine setup for turning past zero as an indicator/ zero stop. The turrets are actually really nice, prefer them over my gen 2 razor I had, and like the capped windage side turret. Zoom ring seemed tight without the throw lever but with the mkmaching throw lever its about perfect. The eyebox is very forgiving and the field of view is nice. There seems like some barrel distortion when moving my head around but is only noticed if not aligned behind the scope. I tend to shoot mostly on 15x-18x but find myself trying to take advantage of 30x more than I thought I would. At 30x it is still very easy to get behind, but prefer the image with the magnification run a little lower. The parallax I find myself tuning a bit but that is compared to my Minox zp5 and will probably get better the more familiar I get with it. The reticle thickness and design (SCR2) is about perfect, would prefer it in my Minox, and never have used or had the need for illumination. I will try to get some comparison pictures next time I get to the range between it, my Minox and a 3-18x razor gen 2 to compare. Overall pretty happy with the scope

Attachments

• IMG_2591[1].JPG
    IMG_2591[1].JPG
    888 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS and TrevK
I'm confused about how people are saying there is no zero stop. Are you in aware that the turret works as a zero stop?

Reactions: Jack's Dad
after zeroing the scope you loosen the turret and line up the zero on the line and push the turret down till it touches the scope base and retighten the screws. You could reset the zero and leave the turret up a little so you could dial down if you wanted.

Can you explain, does the turret stop you from spinning under zero?
It sure does. Zero your rifle then undo the the turret, push it all the way down while lining the zero up and do the turret up. It works as a perfect zero stop and doesn't take any dicking around like many others do.

I was joking about the zero stop gang. It has a very easy, effective mechanical zero stop.

I just superimposed the response I've given a hundred times on the illuminated models and did it for a zero stop instead.

after zeroing the scope you loosen the turret and line up the zero on the line and push the turret down till it touches the scope base and retighten the screws. You could reset the zero and leave the turret up a little so you could dial down if you wanted.
Does the zero stop allow for a small amount of travel past zero or is the ZS a hard stop at zero?

When zeroing the scope and you need to dial down further than the ZS, I assume you just do the opposite and pull the turret up a little bit?

@Birddog6424 or anyone else.
Can you tell me the height the erector bump protrudes below the tube, if you know what I mean.

In other words, how much clearance would be needed from the bottom of the erector bump to the top of a picatinny rail?

@Birddog6424 or anyone else.
Can you tell me the height the erector bump protrudes below the tube, if you know what I mean.

In other words, how much clearance would be needed from the bottom of the erector bump to the top of a picatinny rail?

Thats going to clear with any ring on the market. Its such a small difference.

Thats going to clear with any ring on the market. Its such a small difference.
I'd like to know if it'd work with the lowest height Eratac mount. I bought one recently to find out that is wouldn't fit my Delta Stryker.
Seems unlikely that the XTR3 would fit, but don't know for certain without knowing the measurement.

Bump

anyone running one of these on a gas gun? Curious if you’re liking it still.

Bump

anyone running one of these on a gas gun? Curious if you’re liking it still.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SCOPES ive ever used on a gasser. the FOV makes it a cinch going from target to target.

gl
dt

Attachments

• 2019 TS 3.jpg
    2019 TS 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
  • 2019 TS 9.JPG
    2019 TS 9.JPG
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Jigstick
Can anyone compare these to an SWFA SS 5-20? Does the glass blow away the SS or is it just a little better?

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SCOPES ive ever used on a gasser. the FOV makes it a cinch going from target to target.

gl
dt

what height mount are you using on your AR10 with the XTR3? I’d like to keep it hugged to the rail as low as possible.

The glass in these is pretty darn good. The glass in the SWFA 5-20 is more like the LRHS/LRTS, DMRII, ERS IMO. Everyones eyes are different, but I doubt you will disappointed in the XTRIII. Way better to a little better is pretty subjective. I spent most of the winter hunting, so my XTRIII only got a little play time. It is easy to see bullet marks from my 308 or 223 on white painted plates at 600y with the XTRIII. The glass is only the half of it. My only complaint, I wish they wouldn't have made such an aggressive tread pattern for their power ring and turrets. Seems kind of cheesey and like it wont wear well. I.E finish damage. Small potatoes. I don't mind it. Just nit picking at stuff. "I would change this, 🤷‍♂️ I would change that." Yea, go start your own scope company supercorndorkski :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The glass in these is pretty darn good. The glass in the SWFA 5-20 is more like the LRHS/LRTS, DMRII, ERS IMO. Everyones eyes are different, but I doubt you will disappointed in the XTRIII. Way better to a little better is pretty subjective. I spent most of the winter hunting, so my XTRIII only got a little play time. It is easy to see bullet marks from my 308 or 223 on white painted plates at 600y with the XTRIII. The glass is only the half of it. My only complaint, I wish they wouldn't have made such an aggressive tread pattern for their power ring and turrets. Seems kind of cheesey and like it wont wear well. I.E finish damage. Small potatoes. I don't mind it. Just nit picking at stuff. "I would change this, 🤷‍♂️ I would change that." Yea, go start your own scope company supercorndorkski :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I’ve got the SS on my Valkyrie bolt gun right now and I’m wanting something better. Hard to spot misses at 1k with the 22 cal so I want to upgrade. I wish I could swing another atacr but I can’t get there. Thanks for the reply.

what height mount are you using on your AR10 with the XTR3? I’d like to keep it hugged to the rail as low as possible.

i have the PEPR mount Burris sells. The website says 1.35" which sounds right. I know it is as close to the rail as I have seen. Decent gap with a 50mm obj (id say 1/4" maybe iirc) but with a 56mm obj it is very huggy to the rail lol.

GL
DT

I’ve got the SS on my Valkyrie bolt gun right now and I’m wanting something better. Hard to spot misses at 1k with the 22 cal so I want to upgrade. I wish I could swing another atacr but I can’t get there. Thanks for the reply.

I was doing almost exactly that last weekend - spotting misses for a buddy's 223 at ~940. XTR3 is value.

Reactions: RFutch
To all here, you have really helped me make my mind up. My old eyes really need upgrades to better glass on my rigs and it looks like this Burris will do what I need. TT and ZCO are just out of reach with my other addictions, was thinking about a Minox but I can swing 2 of the XTRIII's for just a little more coin. Also would like to standardize my scopes more. Thanks again to the Hide members.

Fred

If/when Burris releases the XTR3 lumed, I will consider one.

We'll see it.. someday... 😉

I'll probably get one, just so other people can look at it. I really have no use for it.

I think the plain SCR would be the perfect hunting scope reticle. But I can see where the illuminated SCR2 wpuld double for both hunting and competition.

I'll probably get one, just so other people can look at it. I really have no use for it.

I think the plain SCR would be the perfect hunting scope reticle. But I can see where the illuminated SCR2 wpuld double for both hunting and competition.
I tried using one for hunting but in the last few minutes of hunting when you need to turn down the power to help with last light my old eyes just can't see the crosshair. If they ever come out with a illuminated model I'll buy several as it is an excellent scope

The 3.3-18 Illuminated SCR2 would be cross-over optic bliss.
In theory at least.....

The 3.3-18 Illuminated SCR2 would be cross-over optic bliss.
In theory at least.....

I agree. Thats the illuminated model I want. That'll go on my 300 Norma mag elk rifle.

It already costs a little less than the 30x, so any added amount for illumination means it will still be really affordable. And at 13" and 29ozs its size and weight are perfect.

I was shooting my rimfire yesterday with my 18x on it. The big eyebox with edge to edge glass and just that thin little scope body black ring is just a pleasure to look through.

It is easy to pick up the reticle at the bottom end with the SCR in the 3.3-18. I was going to mess with one this weekend, but after focusing the reticle I realized it was fogged on the inside or something. Maybe grease on the lens or it wasn't polished. It was one of the lenses behind the objective lens anyway. I snapped a picture since it was something I had never seen before. I assume the glass will be as good as my 5.5-30, the SCR is plenty thick for a cross over scope in the 3.3-18. Out here on the plains I don't think it will be any problem for hunting. Thick woods guys milage may vary. I take a different rifle and scope into thick stuff. These are going to be a big hit once some more people get them in their hands.

I heard there is no plan to release an illuminated model ever. Overly complicated technology that Burris can't figure out. Best left for the optical masters of powerhouses such as Barska and Quigley Ford.

I heard there is no plan to release an illuminated model ever. Overly complicated technology that Burris can't figure out. Best left for the optical masters of powerhouses such as Barska and Quigley Ford.

Its true. They are conceding the market to those manufacturers 😉

Reactions: D_TROS
Question from left field to all you optics Gurus....

When does Trijicon lose its proprietary patent on fiber optic "light collectors" used in the ACOG and Accupoint line?

That's the technology I would love to see other brands work that into the mix. For everything during the day and diminishing light it is pure magic how that stuff works. It is expensive to make from what I understand but totally worth it.

For that reason alone I cannot part with my Accupoint 1-4. It's still the cat's ass even though it's a dated design.

A Burris with a light collector would be the shizzle

Reactions: 308pirate