• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

I've often looked for these as well, you see them when you go into Cabela's and shops and they have the fake wood stocks and rubber mounts to test out scopes, but I've never been able to find the source.

Go to a store that has a good selection of kayak and conoe accessories, they look exactly like a rubber paddle holder.

Hello everyone - this is a bit spammy, but what the hell: I do a Burris newsletter every once in a while, and it always has a contest (it also has some info on XTR III, but way less than this thread). I point this out here since I know most of you cognoscenti wouldn't stoop so low as to actually subscribe to the newsletter :) .

Contest is for an XTR II 1-8x. Your choice of front or rear focal.

There's a trivia question you need to answer. If you send the proper answer via email to [email protected], I will enter you in the contest.
It's a REALLY HARD question designed to stump even the experts among you (it's actually just designed to force a little bit of product awareness and make people do a tiny-little-something in order to enter).

It also has an offer to buy an XTR 1-8x directly from us for $960. End Jan 31. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you the discount code.

If this is too commercial, I apologize, beg forgiveness, and point out I hardly ever actually try to, you know, sell stuff.
------------------------------------------

WIN AN XTR II 1-8x SCOPE!

The XTR II 1-8x24 is available in your choice of front or rear focal plane, which means it has two different reticles to pick from. The contest question is which reticles are available for the 1-8x XTR Scope?

1. SCR and Plex
2. Horus and G2B
3. Ballistic Dot and Ballistic Circle Dot
4. Ballistic 3X and Heavy Plex

One lucky person will win the XTR II 1-8x scope of their choice.

Contest fine print:
USA residents only. One entry per person. One person selected at random from all correct answers will be awarded an XTR II 1-8 riflescope. Contest ends January 31, 2019. Winner will be contacted via email.

Newsletter link:
https://mailchi.mp/502ae2f53905/big-things-from-burris-2657577

MSRP $2,039.

That's MSRP, which is the higher price no one actually sells for. I do not yet have MAP/Store price.

Are you able to shed any light on the future price of the SCR2 versions and illuminated versions?
Or is it top secret/undecided?

MSRP $2,039.

That's MSRP, which is the higher price no one actually sells for. I do not yet have MAP/Store price.

I know it's not the target market but for the PRS production class, the MSRP has to be under $2k for the optics and under $2k for the rifle. I'm set with my XTRII 5-25 for now but had been thinking my new rifle would be a good excuse to "upgrade" to the XTRIII.

Can't wait to see them in person, the specs are great!

Reactions: Subwrx300
some sweet pics.

the “comp” knobs
BD10DC53-0C01-4174-940A-C9717317C2F7.jpeg

will try some completely scientific “phone” pics. best i could get through sxope. way way way better clearer in reel life.

and map prices. $50 more for the scr2 looks like
and playin with ckye-pod lol

regards
DT

Attachments

• FC45C055-EB8C-440A-8A90-8CD30963F7A6.jpeg
    FC45C055-EB8C-440A-8A90-8CD30963F7A6.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 4EAEF9EE-73BC-4A81-AF5D-2082C0FE35ED.jpeg
    4EAEF9EE-73BC-4A81-AF5D-2082C0FE35ED.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
If the glass really is substantially better and they keep this at a similar price point as the XTR II it will be a big hit. That FOV is crazy good.

Reactions: jafo96
Dubious of quality IMHO I've owned a few Burris optics in my time and the 1980's seemed better than the 2008 purchase's I've owned !
Apples to Oranges, the best was a 1x4LERP and the mediocre is a 3x9TAC that is fuzzy at best at the edges at any magnification.
I hope the quality has advanced since then!

If the glass really is substantially better and they keep this at a similar price point as the XTR II it will be a big hit. That FOV is crazy good.

Yeah agreed — need to see the glass in person but if it’s a decent upgrade from the II’s I am totally getting one of these for my first true long range rig. Hopeful and excited.

A different pic of the XTR3. I've fondled it several times over the last few days and I tell you what, this baby is legit..

I've played with a lot of optics down here at the show, and the new Burris is going to go toe to toe with a lot of high quality, well respected optics.

The field of view is amazing! And looking through the eyepiece, its edge to edge glass with the tube shrinking down to a thin black line like my little 1-6 GII Razor. Its impressive.

I found Dorgan's rifle on display, so I stuffed my gum in the the end of the barrel. Sorry brother, the flavor was gone...

I really want these scopes to excel. I understand the nervousness that some have, the XTR II 4-20 had a rough start but rounded out nicely, it's hard to think of being an early adopter with any scope these days, but hopefully with what Burris has learned from the XTR II and the T5Xi (also put together in Greeley) they know now how the consumer will scrutinize and test and compare and... well, any scope mfr should realize that the consumer is much more educated these days than even 5 years ago, most know how to tall target test or even setup their own "humbler" to ensure tracking, many have access to ranges out to a 1000 and farther, and even more will setup resolution targets and high contrast/low contrast charts to see how well the scope performs optically - all that to say it's a different market and if you put out a dud the word spreads very quickly on forums and social media. That's a lot of pressure on any manufacturer and Burris has said they realize this and have indicated the XTR III will be solid from the get go, but I will be patient and wait to hear from others first and give it some time before I dive in (I've been burned before by being an early adopter). I appreciate your enthusiasm birddog but it is so hard to tell how good a scope is from inside a venue like SHOT, did they have any out on Field Day on Monday? I'm going to try to get up to see them in person at the Burris plant once the dust settles from SHOT.

Played with the XTR3 at shot a little bit today. The turrets were awesome, and the scope had a larger eye box, MUCH less CA and better resolution than the XTR2 just looking at lights and objects 100 yards away or so. Burris did a hell of a job...

. I appreciate your enthusiasm birddog but it is so hard to tell how good a scope is from inside a venue like SHOT, did they have any out on Field Day on Monday? I'm going to try to get up to see them

I know what you mean Bill. Its certainly hard to stretch the legs on the glass. I wont be obstinate that I think the XTR3 will be a hit.

But from what I've seen and compared it to, it looks really good. If Burris manages a clean roll out with no resounding QC issues, and maintains glass that's competitive in the sub 2k price point, I feel fairly confident that the buying public is going to like it. But I'll let folks decide for themselves.

I definitely saw some scopes I was disappointed in, even given the indoor limitations.

Too much to read here but at shot I could tell side by side the glass is better in the xtr3. I think it will be hard to beat a razor in this price range but I’m excited to find out

Yes, it was noticeably brighter even indoors. And the sight picture was one of the best I looked through at the show. It really looks good. Nice edge to edge picture.

I agree it will most likely be a stretch to compare the glass to the Razor. I'll find out pretty quick on that, it's one of the scopes I have lined up for a comparison. I spent some time looking through the Cronos, the DMR Pro, the ERS II, the similarly priced Nightforce, etc. So far it's stacking up very well.

Reactions: Braunschweiger
Yes, it was noticeably brighter even indoors. And the sight picture was one of the best I looked through at the show. It really looks good. Nice edge to edge picture.

I agree it will most likely be a stretch to compare the glass to the Razor. I'll find out pretty quick on that, it's one of the scopes I have lined up for a comparison. I spent some time looking through the Cronos, the DMR Pro, the ERS II, the similarly priced Nightforce, etc. So far it's stacking up very well.

So better than the XTR2 then, right?

I hope to try out the 3.3-18x50 on a 6.5creed gas gun. It has a lot of the features I have been looking for.

Yes.

The XTR II has been improving, and it looks pretty good these days. But there is a noticeable improvement in the XTR3. It's a different sight picture completely. And I never try to hide the fact that I'm that biased Burris guy, so you can take whatever I say at any value you wish to give it, but it had as good or better a sight picture as any scope I looked at over the last three days. It's really easy to get behind it. It really looked good.

Now that I've finally seen it and handled it for myself, I'm even more excited about it. Burris has really developed the right product with the right features at the right price. It all boils down to execution by the production crew in Greeley at this point.

A clean product roll out and glass to match its price point.

Yes.

The XTR II has been improving, and it looks pretty good these days. But there is a noticeable improvement in the XTR3. It's a different sight picture completely. And I never try to hide the fact that I'm that biased Burris guy, so you can take whatever I say at any value you wish to give it, but it had as good or better a sight picture as any scope I looked at over the last three days. It really looked good.

Now that I've finally seen it and handled it for myself, I'm even more excited about it. Burris has really developed the right product with the right features at the right price. It all boils down to execution by the production crew in Greeley at this point.

A clean product roll out and glass to match its price point.
I own an XTR2 and it is my second favorite scope (right behind a NF7-35): bullet proof, crisp turrets, good weight, clean reticle and consistent parallax adjustment.

Better optical quality is simply a bonus! Might end up with a few of these pretty quickly.

Not to seguay to far off topic on the Burris thread, but I spent some time playing with NF scopes today. That 7-35 ATACR is really a great optic. They did a great job with their new reticle, and the illumination on it is super clean. I personally thought it was one of the most impressive high end optics at the show.

I was seeing how FOV compared to the XTR3 on 30x. It came a little closer to matching the XTR3 than most.

Reactions: Subwrx300
the burris glass is super clean clear and crisp as good as any other scope out on the market under $3000.00 the turrent click wwre improved smoother and more defined clean clicks it will be made in moa moa in or about May of 2019

It’s probably been mentioned but when and where can we buy or get on order list? From the guys that have seen it in person, is it on the same level as the Vortex Razor 3-18x50, without the weight?

Reactions: Braunschweiger
For that price and the minimal amount of elevation, unless this scope has severely better glass, it sounds like the Cronus BTR is still a better and less expensive choice.

Will be interested in side by side comparison

For that price and the minimal amount of elevation, unless this scope has severely better glass, it sounds like the Cronus BTR is still a better and less expensive choice.

Will be interested in side by side comparison

It will definitely be interesting. I like the reticle selection on both of these optics.

Comparing the 5.5-30x56 Burris to the 4.5-29x56 Cronus is very close. The 30x XTR3 is an inch longer, but 4ozs lighter. FOV for the XTR3 is 4.2' at 100 yards on 30x, 3.8' at 100 yards at 29x for the Cronus. Both have great features. We all know LOW makes a good optic. Price is pretty much a wash, they are going to be within a hundred or two of each other.

I suspect it will boil down to glass quality for a lot of folks. Speaking only for myself I dont care for the turret feel on the Cronus, and that whole home repair grease fix was a real turn off. But I think Athlon has done a good job of taking care of their issues, which all scope lines have, and making good changes moving forward. I havent see too many Cronus' out and about, so I dont have much experience with them.

Hopefully I'll be able to hunt one down for a side by side. I know of a couple shops here in Boise who carry them, and I know the shop owners. Maybe they will let me steal one for a minute :)

Much better. The floor model had substantially less CA and better resolution and turrets were very tactile with no drag or mush between clicks.

It will definitely be interesting. I like the reticle selection on both of these optics.

Comparing the 5.5-30x56 Burris to the 4.5-29x56 Cronus is very close. The 30x XTR3 is an inch longer, but 4ozs lighter. FOV for the XTR3 is 4.2' at 100 yards on 30x, 3.8' at 100 yards at 29x for the Cronus. Both have great features. We all know LOW makes a good optic. Price is pretty much a wash, they are going to be within a hundred or two of each other.

I suspect it will boil down to glass quality for a lot of folks. Speaking only for myself I dont care for the turret feel on the Cronus, and that whole home repair grease fix was a real turn off. But I think Athlon has done a good job of taking care of their issues, which all scope lines have, and making good changes moving forward. I havent see too many Cronus' out and about, so I dont have much experience with them.

Hopefully I'll be able to hunt one down for a side by side. I know of a couple shops here in Boise who carry them, and I know the shop owners. Maybe they will let me steal one for a minute :)

The Burris has wayyyy better turrets than the Cronus btr. Like not even a comparison. Def agree

Reactions: jafo96
It’s probably been mentioned but when and where can we buy or get on order list? From the guys that have seen it in person, is it on the same level as the Vortex Razor 3-18x50, without the weight?
way better then the razor

Reactions: Chasing3
way better then the razor

Cant possibly know until I have them side by side at the range to compare in the same conditions. The mechanics on the xtr3 are very good. I will say the eye box gets really tight above 25x but that’s kind of to be expected. If you’re on the fence I’d wait until someone that is unbiased gets both and posts a side by side comparison.

The Burris has wayyyy better turrets than the Cronus btr. Like not even a comparison. Def agree

My old XTR II had better turrets than my current Cronus BTR. But I still kept the Cronus over the XTR II.

Curious to see how it stacks up, I'd be up to swap out my BTR for one... but looking like it might be more of a lateral move. Was hoping they could shave a little more weight on them.

My old XTR II had better turrets than my current Cronus BTR. But I still kept the Cronus over the XTR II.

Curious to see how it stacks up, I'd be up to swap out my BTR for one... but looking like it might be more of a lateral move. Was hoping they could shave a little more weight on them.

Turrets alone are worth the swap. The XTR3 has "alpha" level turrets. The Athlon has the cheap Filipino/Chinese feeling turrets.

Turrets alone are worth the swap. The XTR3 has "alpha" level turrets. The Athlon has the cheap Filipino/Chinese feeling turrets.
Are you saying the XTR III turrets are better than the XTR II turrets, or are you simply making a general statement that the XTR turrets are of alpha level quality?

I've always been a fan of XTR II turrets. It seems most people have always agreed that they had a great feel to them and obviously functioned excellently.

But I agree with Generalzip. I think the turrets on the XTR3 feel even better. They are still very firm and solid, but it felt like the clicks were even more noticeable. Perhaps just slightly more tactile.

I'll leave that up to you guys though to decide if you like them better.

I've always been a fan of XTR II turrets. It seems most people have always agreed that they had a great feel to them and obviously functioned excellently.

But I agree with Generalzip. I think the turrets on the XTR3 feel even better. They are still very firm and solid, but it felt like the clicks were even more noticeable. Perhaps just slightly more tactile.

I'll leave that up to you guys though to decide if you like them better.
Turrets are very subjective, my favorite so far are the Leupold Mark 5HD turrets, just wish they had better reticles and didn’t charge so much for illumination. Hello Burris XTR III with better reticle and illumination. Like you birddog, I thought the XTR II had really nice turret feel for the price, no complaints but if the XTR III are even more tactile, get the SCR2 with illumination out already.

Last edited:
I also like the turrets on the MK5. But I've definitely heard people comment on how much they like a turret on brand X, and in the back of my head I'm thinking that brand feels like crap. It's definitely subjective.

I havent heard anything on the timeline for the SCR2 rollout, or illumination. My money is on seeing the reticle before we see an illuminated version. The reticle at least exists in prototypes. So they just have to go live with it. Sky was way too busy to catch at the show to see if he had an idea on when we would see those. Maybe we can get some info from him once the dust settles.

I also like the turrets on the MK5. But I've definitely heard people comment on how much they like a turret on brand X, and in the back of my head I'm thinking that brand feels like crap. It's definitely subjective.

I havent heard anything on the timeline for the SCR2 rollout, or illumination. My money is on seeing the reticle before we see an illuminated version. The reticle at least exists in prototypes. So they just have to go live with it. Sky was way too busy to catch at the show to see if he had an idea on when we would see those. Maybe we can get some info from him once the dust settles.
my understanding is june we will see them. turrent click on some scopes just feal cheap like some one designed them in there back yard. others are smooth defined crisp clean clicks not like your tring to open a child proof asprin cap. or like you hit the over tighten on your gas cap on you car. The Burris xtr3 clicks feel very professional well designed better then the good xtr2 and by far better then the majority of clicks on the higher end scopes. this scope is very well done. They are no longer dads 3X9 hunting scope company. even if some wont except that.

Reactions: Glassaholic
The only question I have is burris talks about there over sized elevation speed turrent option that can be ordered and there cap covered option but have not been able to find or see any photos of what they look like

The only question I have is burris talks about there over sized elevation speed turrent option that can be ordered and there cap covered option but have not been able to find or see any photos of what they look like
This is BigJimFish's picture from his SHOT show thread
1548875198888.png

This is BigJimFish's picture from his SHOT show thread
View attachment 7014699

Does the race dial come exactly as pictured?
I'd assumed it was just bigger and you have to apply your own white tape (or what ever you want), but that'll be quite cool if they come like that already.

I hope these XTR3s come out soon, now shot show has been and gone I can confirm that this is the only scope I'm interested in.

Reactions: D_TROS
Turrets are very subjective, my favorite so far are the Leupold Mark 5HD turrets, just wish they had better reticles and didn’t charge so much for illumination. Hello Burris XTR III with better reticle and illumination. Like you birddog, I thought the XTR II had really nice turret feel for the price, no complaints but if the XTR III are even more tactile, get the SCR2 with illumination out already.

I don't think the XTR2 and XTR3 turrets are *anything* like each other. XTR3 has much less resistance on the turn, but much more tactile clicks. Up there with the top end Vortex, Kahles, etc. I also like the 10 mil per rev because the spacing is nicer than 15, but they are so crisp that they could've gone 15 mil per rev and not had any issues. The turret knurling is also very aggressive, possibly the most of any turrets I've felt. It should work well in really cold weather if you are using heavy gloves.

Does the race dial come exactly as pictured?
I'd assumed it was just bigger and you have to apply your own white tape (or what ever you want), but that'll be quite cool if they come like that already.

I hope these XTR3s come out soon, now shot show has been and gone I can confirm that this is the only scope I'm interested in.
It's my understanding this is how they come, a poster on another thread said the size is the same width as scotch tape so people can wrap it with tape and write their own solutions based on the targets for any given comp.