• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

At the price that some of these “used” XTR3’s are selling for in the PX section, I think it is worth jumping on for the quality of scope you are getting at a discounted price. Don’t get me wrong, illumination is nice but I never really found myself needing it in most environments.

Reactions: Glassaholic
At the price that some of these “used” XTR3’s are selling for in the PX section, I think it is worth jumping on for the quality of scope you are getting at a discounted price. Don’t get me wrong, illumination is nice but I never really found myself needing it in most environments.

That's me too. I've said it repeatedly that it's just never been an issue. Even when I've hunted with illumination I've never needed it.

Though I do think when these finally release, the thicker reticle of the illuminated version will make the SCR2 reticle a little more effective as a crossover scope.

I probably wont bother picking up an illuminated version. I'll hunt with what I have or buy one with the SCR as a dedicated hunting scope. I like that reticle better than the SCR2 for hunting.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I don't have a date for release. But I have been told that Burris has taken the illumination design back to the drawing board for this optic. Rather than use the components and methods used on the XTR2, they've decided to engineer a new system that will be more robust from the ground up. They have an all new scope, with an in house etched reticle using state of the art equipment, they decided they wanted to suffer the delay to get it right the first time.

The attitude with this optic is to step up to a high quality scope where they pulled out all the stops to get it right, and didn't cut corners. All while maintaining a decent price point. Just as they did with the release date delay, they know this may slow down the time it takes to bring the illuminated versions to market. But I think they really want to get this right.

So I guess the illuminated version undergoing re-engineering, won't be released until 2021 in addition due to current pandemic crisis causing further production delays. Was also considering newer LR Razor HD Gen III version (except 1-10x24) that also won't be released any sooner either. The wait is killing me since last year with a scope less rifle.

So I guess the illuminated version undergoing re-engineering, won't be released until 2021 in addition due to current pandemic crisis causing further production delays. Was also considering newer LR Razor HD Gen III version (except 1-10x24) that also won't be released any sooner either. The wait is killing me since last year with a scope less rifle.
Yeh, 2021 is quite likely. I get it, it sucks waiting.

In your shoes I would buy a decent used optic with good value retention and run it for a year. Then sell it. Lots of decent sub 1k scopes that will treat you well.

My boy mounting my 3-18 on my JP 223. I had a 4-20 on it i really like. excited for the upgrade. i had loaned this to a couple friends. bad arse scope on a bad mambo rifle

0ABB220E-9BEF-4C3C-BF22-719FF9636D0E.jpeg

So the one piece mount is a 6 screw rings leaving not enough room to mount a level and a red dot on the front of turret. i dont like anything behind turret as i really try to not lift my head when i dial to not only maintain cheek weld but also to save time.

This forced me to get creative. i tried mounting the level upside down on left side but still hit mount so had to put on right side which i can barely still see maintaining cheek weld.

in that spot there isna perfect window to see red dot.

AEB15F82-AC7C-4F8C-8476-DAABCADC860B.jpeg

now i have nvr ran a red dot on a rifle before and laughed at those that have. that being said the last several years there have been stages in the Competition Dynamics matches assault courses with either cardboard human shape targets at point blank (1-100 yds) and also a stage once where you had 15 sec to engage a ispc at 60 yds or so with as many hits as you can. both instances would been easier with a red dot.

so shall see!! if we get to shoot this yr
???

regards
DT

What scope caps are you guys using for the 5.5-30 model. I’d like something more that the butler caps ideally

Has anyone compared the 5.5-30 to the 3.3-18? I already have the 3-18 and thinking about picking up the big brother.

I own both. What would you like to know?
When’s the reticle usable in the 5-30?
How much more forgiving is the 5-30 to the 3-18 eye box?
Would you take two 3-18 or have one of both?
this one will be going on a bolt 223. No hunting will he used with it.

When’s the reticle usable in the 5-30?
How much more forgiving is the 5-30 to the 3-18 eye box?
Would you take two 3-18 or have one of both?
this one will be going on a bolt 223. No hunting will he used with it.

*The reticle is perfectly useable at 3.3x. I shot a bunch of whistle pigs yesterday from 20 to 50 yards. So I spent the entire time at the lowest magnification setting on my 18x scope which has the SCR2 reticle. The FOV is amazing. I was able to stay on glass scanning for everything.

I do think 5x looks a little better if you want to use the grid reticle for holdovers. But my .22 was zeroed for 50 so I was going dead at nearly everything. So long as you aren't hunting and encountering the dreaded/overhyped sunrise/sunset scenario, this reticle will treat you just fine.

*The eyebox is very good on both versions. Hard to pick a winner using equal magnification levels. Quite honestly, the XTR3 has a very user friendly eyebox. More forgiving than the MK5 or ATACR, most similar to the GenII Razor.

*I have one of both. I put the 18x on my .22 with a Race Dial. I think it will make an excellent compact, lightweight crossover optic. Strictly for targets I prefer the added horsepower of the 30x.

I've got some 3.3-18x with the SCR 2 reticle available. Reticle is a bit thin, but unless you're planning on shooting at low power in the woods it is fine.

Reactions: fcyle10
I can't decide if my dedicated prs scope should be RZR 2 or XTR III?

The answer is yes. LOL
The xtr3 has many features the RZR dont but the RZR is no slouch. Pick the one you like the retc better honestly...

What mount did you go with to include the red dot?

As mentioned its the Burris fastfire mount. Very easy to install and does what its supposed to. I have some friends who use it on their centerfire rig to find targets with it then look through scope.

jp223xtr3.jpg

GL
DT

I ordered two(I assume) black throw levers from Burris. There wasn’t an option for red. Not that I want red I’m just wondering if mine will be red or black now lol. The picture showed black

Does anyone know where I can get a good copy of the XTR III SCR2 MIL reticle? I need to enlarge and print to add some comments. The ones I've managed to grab (Burris site, etc) get blurry the bigger you make them. Also, they don't need to be huge, big enough for my data book.

Thanks

I recently ordered a 3.3-18x50 in scr mil for hunting, connot find anything on the reticle. There are prints and subtensions on the Burris site of scr moa for both 3.3-18x50 and 5.5-30x56 but nothing in mils. Idk if I can just take the moa value given and divide it by 3.6 to give the mil equivalent, and expect half mil hases in the vertical and 0.2 in horizontal or what. The have everything broke down on the xtr2 models in mil/moa. I've attached a few images I've been able to find, even that brochure has zero data on the xtr3 reticles other than the scr2.

You can find it under the XTRII details.

The red is just what they sent me. I didnt request it.

So I'm not sure how to get the red. Perhaps give CS a call and see what they can do.

The red is just what they sent me. I didnt request it.

So I'm not sure how to get the red. Perhaps give CS a call and see what they can do.
Only special folks like you (sponsored shooter) can get them in red. I left a VM for Todd in sales to help me out :)

• Haha
Reactions: Birddog6424
Only special folks like you (sponsored shooter) can get them in red. I left a VM for Todd in sales to help me out :)
Are you sure. When I got mine I think they got a heap to sell as well. I'll have to check

Has anyone here have an issue with scope going out of focus after firing the rifle? I have one on a 300 win mag that needs parallax reset after every firing. It gets all blurry. This is the second to do this at my local range. I shipped it back to burris yesterday. I hope this is resolved and doesn't happen again. I love everything about the scope. Everything but the out of focus issue.

@S3th I can understand that but I wouldn’t let that push you away. I have the XTR3 3-18x50 and it’s very impressive for the price point. I am sure Burris gets bombarded with the same question often and just can’t respond to everyone. I bet some of the “In the know Burris guys” on this forum, will provide updates when they get closer to pushing them into the wild. I have had good experiences with Burris in respect to their scope’s quality, ruggedness and servicing.

I would like this information too. I have reached out to Burris twice and they never reponsded. It is kinda pushing me away from purchasing one of their products.

No one really has an answer to this. The illumination, along with a thicker SCR2 reticle is under construction. It's being worked on by engineers in Greeley, and it goes without saying, they really want to get it right.

The driving factor behind a redesigned system is that they want to use something bulletproof.

Customer service personal aren't really in the engineering loop as far as product updates are concerned. That's a management/development team conversation. So at this point, no one outside of upper management knows where this is at.

@khuber84 kick me a PM with your address. I'll get you a properly anodized turret.

No one really has an answer to this. The illumination, along with a thicker SCR2 reticle is under construction. It's being worked on by engineers in Greeley, and it goes without saying, they really want to get it right.

The driving factor behind a redesigned system is that they want to use something bulletproof.

Customer service personal aren't really in the engineering loop as far as product updates are concerned. That's a management/development team conversation. So at this point, no one outside of upper management knows where this is at.

@khuber84 kick me a PM with your address. I'll get you a properly anodized turret.

All I am asking for is a response - it doesn't have to be a yes or no. Being ignored isn't great when you are considering a product.

Reactions: Basher
I don’t actually need illumination but if the illuminated version comes with a thicker reticle, then that corrects my biggest issue with the scope. I hate how reticles have been getting thinner and thinner. .05 mil line thickness needs to come back.

Its a shame they didn't release these with illumination. The lack of illumination has killed the resale of these. I've got a 3.3-18 brand new in the box i can't even get rid of. The other 3.3-18 i shoot with is very impressive, such an awesome scope for 1500 bucks. Knowing how many people want illumination ( and usually still won't ever use it) it blows my mind Burris wouldn't have released this with illumination instead of making it an after thought

I’ve thought about saving for an XTRIII, but they cost as much as a Gen2 Razor, which is a proven platform with all the bells and whistles. I’ve kept my eyes on this since it was announced by D_Tros back in November of 2018. The fact that we’re a year and a half on from the announcement and Burris still doesn’t have an illuminated model is ridiculous. I realize they want to “get it right,” but come on! Are they inventing a new illumination method or something? And like you said, the lack of illumination is not only killing resale right now, but the non-illuminated models are likely gonna TANK on the used market once the illuminated version comes out...

I’d still like to try one, and really like the reticle, but I’m not buying until illumination comes out, and I may have already made my purchase in 9 months to a year when that finally happens, haha. And even then, the super low resale of non-illuminated models may have me getting a sweet deal on one of those instead! But I’ll keep my eyes peeled and see if I’m pleasantly surprised, I’ve enjoyed Burris products in the past but this one’s release has definitely been... interesting.

Reactions: D_TROS and TrevK
The intent of the first release XTR3 has always been as a target/competition optic. Thus the lack of illumination and the thinner reticle.

From a first-hand perspective in the PRS , I love the thin reticle of the SCR2. It's perfectly suited for 10x to 30x magnification on targets in daylight. It is ideal for their intended usage.

The illuminated version was always intended as a follow up release once the competition version got off the ground. It's coming, it just wasnt the focus. The also wanted to get the RT6 Long Range scopes with the SCR2 out into the market place. So both of these products are out now.

I think the illumination and thicker reticle will be extremely well-received when it comes to market. It's going to be a great crossover optic.

I continually see on this forum and others that people like the XTR3 better than the G2 Razor, MK5HD, and NX8. Once illumination hits the market, this is going to be a pretty tough to beat option in the sub $2k price point.

The intent of the first release XTR3 has always been as a target/competition optic. Thus the lack of illumination and the thinner reticle.

From a first-hand perspective in the PRS , I love the thin reticle of the SCR2. It's perfectly suited for 10x to 30x magnification on targets in daylight. It is ideal for their intended usage.

The illuminated version was always intended as a follow up release once the competition version got off the ground. It's coming, it just wasnt the focus. The also wanted to get the RT6 Long Range scopes with the SCR2 out into the market place. So both of these products are out now.

I think the illumination and thicker reticle will be extremely well-received when it comes to market. It's going to be a great crossover optic.

I continually see on this forum and others that people like the XTR3 better than the G2 Razor, MK5HD, and NX8. Once illumination hits the market, this is going to be a pretty tough to beat option in the sub $2k price point.

Do you know where they're made? Is this Japanese glass or the Philippines glass of the XTR II?

I don’t actually need illumination but if the illuminated version comes with a thicker reticle, then that corrects my biggest issue with the scope. I hate how reticles have been getting thinner and thinner. .05 mil line thickness needs to come back.

I agree, maybe on the higher magnification version the thin reticle will be ok, but the 3-18 will benefit from a thicker reticle IMO.

I have a PST 3-15 with the EBR-7c and feel that the reticle is to fine throughout the entire mag range.
If I'm proven wrong at least the used market will be flooded with dirt cheap non-illuminated versions, apparently...

Just a heads up, sport optics has a really good price on these right now and if you call on it gets a little better. I ordered a 5.5-30 with the scr2 reticle today. Can't wait to play with it, this will probably be my nicest scope so far.

Has anyone had any problems with reticle jump on these scopes? Took it to the range today and had a wandering zero problem. After messing with it for a while I noticed the reticle jumps .3 to .5 mil (not precise, to the best I can tell) when raising or lowering the magnification. I sent Burris a email when I got home (aware they are closed on the weekend) but was wondering if this was a known issue that I may have missed while researching. Just a little disappointed after spending this amount of money and having problems out of the gate. Oh well we'll see how it pans out I guess.

Last edited:
How they take care of you is what will really matter. Vortex has pushed the customer service care for its customers and I'm sure burris has taken some notes.

Yes, Burris has a comprehensive “No Questions Asked” warranty.

....and by that, they mean that you send the scope back to them, they sit on it for 3-6 weeks, don’t contact you, and then return the scope back to you saying they didn’t find anything wrong with it...without asking you any questions.

Hence, “No Questions Asked” warranty.

Has anyone had any problems with reticle jump on these scopes? Took it to the range today and had a wandering zero problem. After messing with it for a while I noticed the reticle jumps .3 to .5 mil (not precise, to the best I can tell) when raising or lowering the magnification. I sent Burris a email when I got home (aware they are closed on the weekend) but was wondering if this was a known issue that I may have missed while researching. Just a little disappointed after spending this amount of money and having problems out of the gate. Oh well we'll see how it pans out I guess.

Your not alone. Not me but found someone with the same problem on a different forum. Last post.
"Just an update.......I REALLY liked everything about this scope, unfortunately already had to return it to Burris. Reticle was moving when indexing the power ring between +-. Scope was on a 7.8# braked 300 norma improved. I suspect the high recoil pulse and brake affect jarred something loose internally.
Bummer.......I'll probably be selling after it's repaired, maybe I'll try it on a lighter recoil setup."