• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 1x-6.5x SMRS pro and non pro why the hate?

ffhounddog

Private
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I have a question for the folks here. I really like the Bushnell Tactical 1x-6.5 1624(p) models I have 2 Pro's, one standard 1624 (black from a member here) and one is a 1626 model horseshoe type reticle (all SFP). I have found they are real good optics for my two Troy Proctor middys, 6920 with 13.0 Geissle mlock rail, and my Armalite with MI gen2 rail. I have had zero issues with them. I have used one of the Pro's (FDE version) in multiple classes and it works. I have them all in Larue 104 mounts. I know I could sell all 4 for a loss and get two other optics but I have had zero issues with these. I have had two friends both former SF guys if that makes any difference, with the Vortex new 1-10x that have had to send them back. I do not know what vortex said but the light gathering was having issues to them. They sold Night Force scopes to get one of these and they are having issues that had to go back to the factory. I do not know if I am an odd duck with 7 deployments to the Middle east, two to Africa, and two to South America using ACOGs, Aimpoints, Short Dots, but I really like the Bushnell Tactical line of scopes for what I use them for. I would say compared to my old short dot the image these produce are a lot better. Does not mean they are better just with 10-15 years of development and newer coatings compared to my old 1.1x-4x short dot I like the Bushnell's.

Am I off or am I just use to crap? I am deployed again so I will not see these rifles again for until April.

Last edited:
    I think the lack of daylight bright illumination and the just ok eye box with the original high price killed them. I got a pro when they were blowing them out for 550$ and I like it especially the weight and size. Glass is nice and the illumination is fine and works anywhere the etched reticle doesn't.

I recently picked up a non e razor 1-6 on sale and the 1x is far superior and worth the weight penalty imo. The pro isn't bad there's just better options. I like mine enough I'm going to hold onto it in case I get tired of lugging the razor around.

At the $500-600 blow out price they were a good deal.

At the $1k+ price they didn't bring anything to the table.

I have an FDE Pro and like it for what it is, but I'm tempted to sell it for a Delta Stryker or Credo HX

Green and NHR nailed it. Good scopes for $500-$600, but beyond that price point, daylight bright isn't optional on an LPVO. I have a pair of 1-8.5x models from the CL sale, and I like them, but they're on DMR-style guns that spend more time at 8.5x than 1x.

I like them better than the Razor myself but it must also be something in the way I am using it too. I used a Razor for 1/2 a day at a training course and the BT to my eye had less eye strain.

SMRS with the zero stop turrets are great. The newer SMRS PRO with capped turrets and the newer reticle is not so good…even glass wise it’s a step back from the original SMRS…I’ve had both.

I had an SMRS 2 Pro 1-6.5x for a week. I tried really hard to like it but I couldn't. Illumination was almost visible on overcast days, eyebox sucked, and you could see too much scope tube, it was like looking through a toilet paper tube as compared to a G2 Razor where you can't even tell you're looking through a scope. It was noticeably slower on the clock for the entire week I tried forcing myself to like it. Even for the $650(ish?) I paid for it it was unacceptable. Sold it at a loss and was glad to see it go.

FWIW, I took my 1-8.5x out this Sunday and shot heavy metal at a 2gun event. It worked out better than I expected, even with the so-so illumination. I still would say that it's generally outclassed by the Razor 1-6x, but I didn't feel like it was the main thing holding me back.

I think the pro is great. Stupid nice glass with the scope body almost disappearing is great for both eyes open. Reticle also has wind holds unlike others. Cant be beat on weight. Illumination is complete utter trash though...

Great to have wind holds but you won’t know what distance you are at as it doesn’t really BDC well…unless you are at a static range or rangefind your target…

with the scope body almost disappearing is great for both eyes open.
    That's the exact opposite of my experience. Mine had the most obtrusive scope body of any LPVO I've looked through in that price range.

That's the exact opposite of my experience. Mine had the most obtrusive scope body of any LPVO I've looked through in that price range.
    You might've had a dud. Mine looks thinner than this in real life at all power ranges.
    Screenshot_20220116-230335_Photos.jpg

Odly enough it probably throws up the best image of my LPVOs with my yoterC. Was going to sell it but between that and the light weight I'll probably keep it around.

I had a 1-6.5 and still have a 1-8.5. The 1-6.5 was good for the $600 price (very light, throw lever) but when you could get Strykers for the same price (that is actually day light bright) you'd have to be a moron to buy the Bushnell.

The 1-8.5FFP is decent but it weighs a metric ton. It's also no where near daylight bright. I only kept it because it was $670 and I'm not aware of any quality LOW scopes in the 1-8 range that have ever been that cheap. They are long gone though, I don't think anyone can buy them anymore except on the used market. The closest competitor to it would be that older JolUSA Riton 1-8 that was $500 on Bereli but man that thing is pure dog shit compared to the LOW 1-8.

Reactions: JDB55
    I had a 1-6.5 and still have a 1-8.5. The 1-6.5 was good for the $600 price (very light, throw lever) but when you could get Strykers for the same price (that is actually day light bright) you'd have to be a moron to buy the Bushnell.

The 1-8.5FFP is decent but it weighs a metric ton. It's also no where near daylight bright. I only kept it because it was $670 and I'm not aware of any quality LOW scopes in the 1-8 range that have ever been that cheap. They are long gone though, I don't think anyone can buy them anymore except on the used market. The closest competitor to it would be that older JolUSA Riton 1-8 that was $500 on Bereli but man that thing is pure dog shit compared to the LOW 1-8.
    I bought one of those Ritons, it was like $438 shipped and I had free returns. I returned it, it was heavy, the glass was good enough but it just didn't feel up to the quality of my Stryker from LOW. I like the reticle but the illumination was horrible and it completely disappeared unless you were basically pointing it at a blue sky or white background. So it was immediately a no go for any type of quick shooting/tactical shooting. Kinda sad.

I bought one of those Ritons, it was like $438 shipped and I had free returns. I returned it, it was heavy, the glass was good enough but it just didn't feel up to the quality of my Stryker from LOW. I like the reticle but the illumination was horrible and it completely disappeared unless you were basically pointing it at a blue sky or white background. So it was immediately a no go for any type of quick shooting/tactical shooting. Kinda sad.
    The Delta is a 1-6 SFP scope at 2x the price of the Riton. Did you really expect more?

The Delta is a 1-6 SFP scope at 2x the price of the Riton. Did you really expect more?
    Well, the Ritons MSRP is $1299 so yes. Perhaps I should have clarified that. Bereli.com was offloading them for that price $399 via eBay. In contrast I got my Stryker for $667 out the door which still baffles me that something that good could sell for that cheap, though the price has since gone up.

Last edited:
    MSRP means nothing. It gives you a feeling of "savings" and "value" when they sell it to you for what it actually should.

Gonna give the 1-6.5 a try on my next project. It's actually still pretty handy. Iirc the yoter is 16oz and some people hang more than that in lights and lasers off the front.

20220117_101535.jpg

Hard to get a pic through the scope that does it justice. Deer at 100yds on 6.5x.

20220108_212034.jpg

Reactions: JDB55
    MSRP means nothing. It gives you a feeling of "savings" and "value" when they sell it to you for what it actually should.
    Ok...It's selling for $900 on Amazon. Point being the Stryker wasnt 2x the price of the Riton, but the Riton was nearly 2x the price of the Stryker. Let's put it another way, for a short period of time I owned the swampfox arrowhead 1-10x24, if you handed me the $900 Riton or the Swampfox 1-10 Chinese made scope which is about $450 all the time, I would choose the Swampfox easily for my rifle. Just for the fact that I can actually see the reticle and it has enough illumination to get me on target quickly in all but very bright conditions and the other optical qualities aren't so much worse that they would make me any slower in real time use. That is unacceptable for the Riton to be that poor of a scope at that price. The glass is fine, but they didn't even try with the illumination, it has a PRS scope style illumination brightness on an lpvo that is marketed as a tactical scope you can use as a red dot(per their marketing information via the link). Just baffles me the disconnect some of these companies have with the reality of what they are offering.

Anyways, I apologize for taking the thread in another direction. Carry on.

Last edited:
    i think they goofed on the reticle subtensions. and it isn't daylight bright.

other then that then that the first gen 1-6.5 is still my favorite LPVO.

lightweight. good eyebox at 1x doesn't need illumination to work at 1x.

glass is acceptable/good. tracks. holds zero. been absolutely smashed in abuse and still works.

shoulda bought a couple more of them at that 600$$ blow out price.