• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cali says don't charge your car

50kwh to charge a tesla?? Holy fuck man. My obscenely sized solar system, which is double the size of the national average, only pulls down about 50-55kwh during the day this time of year (low production time) in ARIZONA in the Colorado River.

View attachment 7795431
View attachment 7795430
Thats an awesome set up! You would never see a set up like that on a residential house up here in MI. Only advantage to a MI house is a AC unit about 1/4 of the size of yours :)

Reactions: clcustom1911
Wonder where all the batteries will go once they are at the end of the charge/discharge cycles....
My old Buick finally became too expensive to get past the inspection so I bit the bullet. A friend who is in finance for a major Toyota dealer got me a great deal on a Corolla Hybrid. Its nto fancy but the little SOB gets at least 52 and sometimes 55 mpg.

I enquired about the battery which is guaranteed for 160,000. Replacement is 4K but it can be refurbished for about 2K. My friend was saying that they regularly have them come in with 300,000 miles on them, so Im hoping for the best. The only things I dont like are the seat.s and the lane auto correct (which is defeat able) and the distance monitoring, which I havent learned to turn off yet.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
My old Buick finally became too expensive to get past the inspection so I bit the bullet. A friend who is in finance for a major Toyota dealer got me a great deal on a Corolla Hybrid. Its nto fancy but the little SOB gets at least 52 and sometimes 55 mpg.

I enquired about the battery which is guaranteed for 160,000. Replacement is 4K but it can be refurbished for about 2K. My friend was saying that they regularly have them come in with 300,000 miles on them, so Im hoping for the best. The only things I dont like are the seat.s and the lane auto correct (which is defeat able) and the distance monitoring, which I havent learned to turn off yet.

The distance monitor in the cruise is turned off by holding the button for three seconds.

I actually wish I had the lane monitoring and auto distancing when I'm doing long highway trips (like 9 to 10 hours). But for about 98% of my driving, I would leave those turned off

Welcome to the world of German luxury autos. I had to replace the windshield on an E320. $899.
My step son and DIL got identical Focus hybrids back in 2014 or 2015. From what I have read Ford warranties the batteries for 8 years or 100K miles. He just traded his on an Explorer, but she still has hers and I have no doubt the car is getting toward the 100K mark. Aftermarket batteries cost around $2200 plus installation, it seems. Not terrible, but I'm not sure I would want to invest that kind of money in that kind of car.

Yeah, German luxury cars can be crazy expensive to maintain...that's why you can but some fancy cars cheap once they get up in miles, if you can do a lot of the work yourself. I had a 86 Audi 5000 turbo-quattro....probably one of the most complicated cars from that time frame

What will fry your brain is when all vehicles are electric then electricity cost will be just like gasoline was, profits must be maintained no matter what we use.

Advances in Solar and Wind power is just getting started. With the proper incentives and some spending on newer/better Systems the average commuter will be charging his car via solar panels on the vehicle while it sites in the parking lot at work. Solar panels can/will soon be able to cover any surface....in a few years the entire surface of the vehicle, every window, the roof tiles/shingles will be generating electricity. EV's are not going away and they are yet in their infancy.

The whole idea is to expand storage capacity so that we have power when the sun isn't shining. Aluminum Ion batteries will replace Lithium Ion - they have 2X+ the charge capacity and can charge faster. And it's just getting started....Graphene Aluminum-ion batteries weigh a fraction of what Li batteries weigh, charge *60X* faster and hold 3X the energy.

The answers are in the Future. Not the Past. We aren't going back to burning coal to make electricity and cars that run on diesel will be illegal. In 30 - 50 years. Right now? We are yet in the Stone Age of technology burning dead plants and animals for energy. That's all going to change...it's all changing. Change is scary.

VooDoo

Well I like burning diesel and a tesla isn't going to pull my gooseneck. I know they have the all electric semi with a 3-5 hundred mile range. I can hook up right now and be in Wyoming by midnight(1000 miles).

The people that are pushing this shit so hard are the ones that say they don't eat animals they buy their meat at the store. They also think water magically comes out of the faucet and electricity magically come out of a wall outlet.

keeping kali commies from coming to fl? i love it! if they come,they should be retricted to dade,broward and palm beach counties. miami et al is trying to be so.west seattle of late. spanish language required.

Advances in Solar and Wind power is just getting started. With the proper incentives and some spending on newer/better Systems the average commuter will be charging his car via solar panels on the vehicle while it sites in the parking lot at work. Solar panels can/will soon be able to cover any surface....in a few years the entire surface of the vehicle, every window, the roof tiles/shingles will be generating electricity. EV's are not going away and they are yet in their infancy.

The whole idea is to expand storage capacity so that we have power when the sun isn't shining. Aluminum Ion batteries will replace Lithium Ion - they have 2X+ the charge capacity and can charge faster. And it's just getting started....Graphene Aluminum-ion batteries weigh a fraction of what Li batteries weigh, charge *60X* faster and hold 3X the energy.

The answers are in the Future. Not the Past. We aren't going back to burning coal to make electricity and cars that run on diesel will be illegal. In 30 - 50 years. Right now? We are yet in the Stone Age of technology burning dead plants and animals for energy. That's all going to change...it's all changing. Change is scary.

VooDoo
I won't disagree with you.... Creating demand (energy) before creating supply (solar, hydrogen, updated grid, etc) will make consumers feel they are being forced into purchasing an alternate energy item (vehicle, dwelling, mass transportation, etc). The more the Government dabbles in the equation, the more skepticism is created.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Thats an awesome set up! You would never see a set up like that on a residential house up here in MI. Only advantage to a MI house is a AC unit about 1/4 of the size of yours :)
I had them size it for when I put in a pool pump, run the AC during rhe summer, and run a rotary phase converter for my 3 phase magic machinery 😏 12kwh system at nominal conditions (summer, no clouds, sun angle, etc). When newer battery tech comes out that can deal with 100⁰+ temps I'll get summa that too and get a pool pump with a timer to run during the day etc.

I really should have just thrown money into lithium and cobalt about 10 years ago.

Agreed. The various disciplines and demands/supplies need to be developed in tandem which is on e of the reasons why this whole deal and all this technology has been held back so long. Short story - I'm an electronics Technician by trade and education doing my college time in the mid 1970's . In 1976 our class of Electronic Process Control had a class project and we built an electric car. No carbon graphite, no lithium ion. Solar cells that were positively archaic. No existing stuff to put together. We rewound Ford started motors, used lead acid batteries and welded a tubular steel frame. In the end we built a car that would run 65 MPH all the way to Chicago (180 miles) where we parked it and recharged it with deployed solar cell array that had been carried on the car. Not really a car....we'll call it a vehicle.

It recharged in direct sunlight in 8 hours and we drove it home to get an A+ on the semester project. In 1976.

And over all these years I keep hearing about how much more technology it will take and how long we need to wait for shit we *did* in 1976 with lead acid batteries and rewound Ford starter motors. Somebody been fucking somebody for the last 45 years. I suspect all of this technology has been kept on the back burner by Big Oil owning our Politicians but that's just my personal Bad Attitude showing. My point is that if we support this stuff with our money and interest it will grow exponentially and quickly. If we keep being dragged by our heals we'll still be burning fossil fuels and suffering the consequences until it kills US.

VooDoo

Eh, my hybrid has a 10year warranty on the battery.....

Considering I drive 25-30k miles a year...10years is essentially the life of the car for me.....

Plus the 50 MPG, never having to buy break pads, and 12k mile oil change intervals arent too bad either.

I'm at 90k on mine after about 4 years and still on the original brake pads.
Also only on the second set of tyres.
50+ MPG with heavy/mixed traffic and original tyres
40+ MPG with wide open / highway traffic and Snow/Ice tyres.
All the power you could want (but of course you floor the accelerator, you see your MPG start nosediving on the dash display).

Scheduled oil changes / maintenance on average twice a year.

So far I've been very happy with it.
(Once I learned that the key fob needs to be in a hard plastic case in your pocket or you get unexpected dead batteries on the car or all the windows wide open).

Right now it's probably at the top of the best value vehicles I've bought in my life.

300 to 500 mile range. It would take me 5 days just to leave Texas.

A plug in hybrid makes a lot more sense for those in areas that need to do a lot of driving.
It gives you the best of both worlds and the option to use whatever winds up being cheaper / available to power your vehicle.

I'm sure both camps could provide an answer. Pick the one you like best, but trust neither.
that’s exactly what I see on a variety of issues these days. Nobody says “I want to come to a conclusion on an issue, I’ll find a way to get some verification to help me make an informed decision.”

It’s always inductive reasoning- I want to believe this, now I’ll go find facts to support my argument.

300 to 500 mile range. It would take me 5 days just to leave Texas.

Having a vehicle that can do everything is a nice luxury. I think the idea is to solve for what people do 90% of the time. I drive 300-500 mile trips about 4 times a year. But I still drive 15k total per year with my daily commute. So a more efficient vehicle solves a problem for many Americans. I do think hybrids can offer some combo of both, and 100% know that electrics leave something to be desired in total miles possible in a day. And diesels won’t be surpassed for a long time when you need real power. Even though several major trucking companies are considering them for local dray and short haul work.

I know that this goes along with turn off lights and don't run the a/c. How are the commies going to increase power production to overcome this influx of electric vehicles? Is the answer more wind and solar? Maybe the plan is these bastards are jumping ship and moving out so that means less consumption.

They are outlawing gas powered vehicles then will stop them from
Charging electric vehicles all in a effort to prevent the mass migration
Away from the California government and ultra high tax that will
Just get worse

• Sad
They have yet to prove to me that an electric car can out-perform a fuel based car - especially when it comes to passing/overtaking where you need that power boost. How much electricity would that take, and would you have to go imediately to the charging station after that? No thanks.
It has nothing to do with power. An electric motor creates instantaneous power / torque and significantly more than internal combustion engines. Hence why they are used on locomotives. It is the range based on storage capacity that is the issue.

Cali is still suffering from lack of bacon and it is clouding their judgement. Guess those pig mansions had the trickle effect

It has nothing to do with power. An electric motor creates instantaneous power / torque and significantly more than internal combustion engines. Hence why they are used on locomotives. It is the range based on storage capacity that is the issue.

If you can demonstrate that an EV can pass an 18 Wheeler on an intersate at an Incline just like an Internal Combustion Engine, then that would be saying something, and it would get my attention a bit more. But, like you say, it's range and capacity. How much farther could that EV go after it makes that pass?

If you can demonstrate that an EV can pass an 18 Wheeler on an intersate at an Incline just like an Internal Combustion Engine, then that would be saying something, and it would get my attention a bit more. But, like you say, it's range and capacity. How much farther could that EV go after it makes that pass?
Can tell you're not in the west. Passing 18 wheelers on an Interstate incline (a mountain pass or even up canyons) isn't too hard. 5-6% incline where they add an extra lane going through, passing the 18 wheelers is easy with most anything. Metro geos and 4 banger automatics are passing alot of the time (that might be slightly exaggerated with the metro). Alot of the time speed limit is 70+ and the 18 wheelers are chugging at 45-50ish. Have seen tons of Teslas passing those 18 wheelers along with everything else. The only ones you might not see pass is pickups pulling something almost too big. Or at least they're in the middle lane with everyone passing both the 18 wheeler and pickup at the same time.

Reactions: MJF
The replacement battery costs more than buying a new drill with two new batteries. Go to home Depot or Lowe's and you will be able to verify

What kind of cheap crap are you looking at?

I guess I do have about $2k in M18 batteries, but they get used 4-5 days a week, and that runs about $8k worth of M18 tools.

If you're a hobby homeowner, just buy Ridgid. It doesn't come close to the power of the Milwaukee, but they're lifetime warranty. Battery dies just go exchange it. As a bonus the lower power output means they generally can't destroy themselves, and the tools last forever.

Then you haven’t been paying attention. Tesla’s are some of the fastest cars off the line that you can buy. Instant torque. No such thing as a torque “curve” with them. It’s a horizontal line.

drag race at 1:56

Maybe so but I still want to drive something fast that doesn't sound like a girl farting.

If tree huggers knew the life expectancy, the oil and grease needed to keep running, and how unrecyclable wind turbines are lol. Things are useless fucking waste of energy to simply make and install.
Solar is just as shit. No tree hugger looks at the full picture. They just see the middle result and put blinders on for construction and deconstruction.
Give me hydro, nuclear, gas, and coal.
When demand increases we can just use some more of that green electricity...

item_2_.jpg

Depends. If you use the regenerative braking down the other side of the mountain you'll get a good percentage back.

Tesla's are pretty amazing. You're not charging them with a standard 15A 120v circuit in a hurry though. The bigger chargers I've installed are 100A 240v for the 2 hour charge.

They're not cool so long as they use lithium batteries. We need graphene battery tech to mature to make it really work. A battery that never wears out and can charge in 10 minutes like filling a fuel tank are the goals.

Of course, hydrogen fuel cell tech is the smart answer right now. Use the hydrogen to generate power to drive the electric motors. No burning, but it does create water as a byproduct which isn't cool in the cold north winters.

And before anyone says "but hydrogen is flammable!". Remember that's what they said about gasoline in the 1920's when the first major electric car push began. Now we all sit on bombs without a second thought.

Try something like a Tesla Model S P100D
More power than just about anything else in the sub $500k range and a very good range that easily compares to a large car gas tank and probably exceeds the single tank range on any similar performing sports car.

Maybe so but I still want to drive something fast that doesn't sound like a girl farting.

Get the high end model, get the extra launch speed package, engage the launch control for performance & floor it.
You won't be missing the noise all that much as you'll be too occupied with the effects of massive instant acceleration to care.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Well I like burning diesel and a tesla isn't going to pull my gooseneck. I know they have the all electric semi with a 3-5 hundred mile range. I can hook up right now and be in Wyoming by midnight(1000 miles).

The people that are pushing this shit so hard are the ones that say they don't eat animals they buy their meat at the store. They also think water magically comes out of the faucet and electricity magically come out of a wall outlet.

So don't fucking buy one.

No one cares

What's the relative volume/density BTU comparison of gasoline versus the newest available tesla battery?

Reactions: Jumper

LOL how can people be so fucking ignorant......

I've ridden in my BIL's Tesla.......It'll blow your stupid ass truck off the road in a couple of seconds and keep going for 300 more miles.

Even here in the flat parts of the eastern midwest where Class 8 trucks can get some speed, any Tesla will leave them for dead in seconds flat.

I think most of you haters fucked with a Tesla and got smoked.

....have you ever actually been in a Tesla?....

say what you want about them....but lacking in power, they are not....frankly they put most traditional "performance" cars to shame...

at the moment, the only things holding EVs back is battery technology and infrastructure....but both of those are easily overcome with time and money....

i love big turbo charged V8s....but if you dont think EV/ Hybrids are going to be the predominant vehicle on the roads in 10-20 years you havent been paying attention.

OK, I'm impressed. When they can make them "affordable" and with increased range, I'll get more interested.

Try something like a Tesla Model S P100D
More power than just about anything else in the sub $500k range and a very good range that easily compares to a large car gas tank and probably exceeds the single tank range on any similar performing sports car.

Get the high end model, get the extra launch speed package, engage the launch control for performance & floor it.
You won't be missing the noise all that much as you'll be too occupied with the effects of massive instant acceleration to care.

Range is still a big deal. I regularly get in the truck and drive 900 miles. Can't do that in 10-12 hours in a Tesla.

That's the big thing holding them back. They have the performance until you get into real racecars, but you have to set your course by charging stations, and have something to do for 2-3 hours until your next 300 miles.

Range is still a big deal. I regularly get in the truck and drive 900 miles. Can't do that in 10-12 hours in a Tesla.

That's the big thing holding them back. They have the performance until you get into real racecars, but you have to set your course by charging stations, and have something to do for 2-3 hours until your next 300 miles.
cars and rifles are similar- nothing does it all perfectly.

LOL how can people be so fucking ignorant......

I've ridden in my BIL's Tesla.......It'll blow your stupid ass truck off the road in a couple of seconds and keep going for 300 more miles.

Even here in the flat parts of the eastern midwest where Class 8 trucks can get some speed, any Tesla will leave them for dead in seconds flat.
And they won’t be paying any gas tax $$ into the federal highway trust fund to help pay for the 300 miles of road they’re driving on. We should all get EV’s, the fed wouldn’t know what to do…

• Love
Reactions: 65x55guy
Interesting that a short documentary like this would show up this morning.

EV1: How an electric car dream was crushed​

Yeah, that's the other elephant in the room. The "fossil fuel" industry pushing back hard on EVs. Too many R & D $$$ spent on oil/gas. No payoff yet. And I'm thinking it will be quite a while before they'll see a proper ROI and could then get into EVs.