• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling computer/software/electronic security savvy people

jMarine

YUUUT!
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
Alabama
I recently became aware to this little Flipper device. Anyone ever heard of it? What threat does this little thing have to hone security?

I read all the things it’s capable of on the website but can someone who is much more savvy in this field enlighten me.

If you put a skilled driver in the seat of one of those...
You can own your home network in a minute or 2.
You can own the remote type "Ring" doorbell/camera system.
You can own the keypad on the burglar alarm and/or front door lock.
You can skim the credit cards nearby.
You can own the vehicles remote codes and *possibly* start the vehicle with it.
You can then drive the stolen vehicle to the nearest ATM to get money from the cards you skimmed with it.
You can buy shit at the store by spoofing ApplePay or AndroidPay.
You can control the street lights so you don't even have to stop (no shit, there is a EweTewb video about that).

Uhh, what else can you do with it ?
That's about all I can think of for right now, but be absolutely certain there is another 9999 things you can hack and own with one.
No, I am quite serious.
It is made specifically to own ANYTHING out there that has remote or nearfield communications.
That pretty much covers everything you can think of....including your TV and refridgerator, and washer and dryer, EVERYTHING.

In the field of information security, there is always a lot you can do. Vulnerabilities will always be there, for those with the proper skills to find them. However the probability the average Joe is targeted is relatively small, until they release easy to use tools everyone can leverage to do harm.

IOT devices are often not very secure from the get go, they develop them in a hurry (very competitive market), often run them with outdated software full of vulnerabilities, do very poor SDLC, uses license-free radio frequencies with again very unsafe communication protocols and low encryption standards.

That's how it is. I recommend you to use radio shields/cages to block wireless car keys and the like while you are at rest. If you runs doorbells, cameras, .. put them in a segregated network where there is no or limited internet connectivity. Make sure there is no communication between them, that could allow for easy lateral movements. Monitor that shit if necessary.

You wouldn't believe how many open networks there is in virtually every small towns of a developed country. I am already surprised there isn't more issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: jMarine
Oh, and if my posts aren't believable....
Check into the links at the very bottom of the page the OP linked.
Github seems to have quite a few plug and play files on hand.....for those that intend to push the envelope if you will.

If you put a skilled driver in the seat of one of those...
You can own your home network in a minute or 2.
You can own the remote type "Ring" doorbell/camera system.
You can own the keypad on the burglar alarm and/or front door lock.
You can skim the credit cards nearby.
You can own the vehicles remote codes and *possibly* start the vehicle with it.
You can then drive the stolen vehicle to the nearest ATM to get money from the cards you skimmed with it.
You can buy shit at the store by spoofing ApplePay or AndroidPay.
You can control the street lights so you don't even have to stop (no shit, there is a EweTewb video about that).

Uhh, what else can you do with it ?
That's about all I can think of for right now, but be absolutely certain there is another 9999 things you can hack and own with one.
No, I am quite serious.
It is made specifically to own ANYTHING out there that has remote or nearfield communications.
That pretty much covers everything you can think of....including your TV and refridgerator, and washer and dryer, EVERYTHING.

And if you're not careful YOU CAN OWN a bullet. 😤

Damn. Why is shit like this available to literally anyone with internet access and a $169.99

Damn. Why is shit like this available to literally anyone with internet access and a $169.99
Because the skill required to make such a device is not very high and the monetary reward for doing so is tremendous. All you need is the mindset and morality of a criminal and, not sure you're aware of this, most of the world's population are possessors of criminal mindsets who would do you dirty to save them the effort of crossing the street and see no problems with taking everything you have for no other reason than that you have those things and they don't. It provides a wonderfully lucrative career for others to develop countermeasures. For the cost of a Raspberry Pi and about 2 hours of work you could configure a WiFi/NFC jammer that would act like a 30ft wide halo of protection around you and as a side effect it'll stop the tard brigade surfing on their phones anywhere in your vicinity and disable live streaming for most IoT devices that fall within range.

By the way... statements like that are something you should poke yourself in the eye for making. That kind of stuff is literally the same bullshit kind of unamerican, personal responsibility ignoring, anti-freedom thinking nonsense that powers the leftoid gun grabbers, branch covidians, NIMBYs and other will imposers that can't deal with living in a world of wonderful, precious, dangerous freedom. The sword doesn't care who it kills, it just cuts.

By the way... statements like that are something you should poke yourself in the eye for making. That kind of stuff is literally the same bullshit kind of unamerican, personal responsibility ignoring, anti-freedom thinking nonsense that powers the leftoid gun grabbers, branch covidians, NIMBYs and other will imposers that can't deal with living in a world of wonderful, precious, dangerous freedom. The sword doesn't care who it kills, it just cuts.

That statement was made out of efforts to make conversation. It’s rhetorical and not in need of explanation. I’m not naive.