• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can a 2011 be modified to be field reliable?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
With the recent explosion of 2011 pistols, I am curious if there is a strategy of making these pistols field reliable while maintaining decent accuracy? These seems to run on the ragged edge of spring strength for cycling, the 1911 style trigger seems to be a failure point for grit/silt preventing reset and the mags don’t seem to tolerate anything that would slow the stack from moving, causing no loads or failures to go into battery.

These pistols are awesome on the flat range, but has anyone developed one to be field reliable? Or a protocol for making them field reliable?

Last edited:
Tons of people have. They cost considerably more than the entry level 2011s.

Staccatos are used by many agencies and individuals officers all over the country. They work out of the box. Just keep the oil on it. I’ve carried one all over Montana in a chest rig while riding in a side X side. Dusty as can be, but still shot several grouse.

Reactions: FatBoy and st1650
Ben Stoeger has been testing a Stacc XC for 2000 rounds of duty ammo without cleaning and the only change was a 11-12lbs recoil spring instead of the factory 7-8lbs

The 2011s have significantly improved over the last 10 years. They’ll never be as dummy proof as a factory Glock but keep them wet with oil and they should be reliable.

Reactions: FatBoy
2011's are used in competition because they are reliable
- Glocks, Sigs, M&P's, and CZ's have just as many problems when you try to run them like a competition 2011

if you set them up like a factory gun, they'll run just as well as anything else

Reactions: FatBoy
I ordered a recoil Atlas spring set as well as a heavier main and firing pin spring. My Prodigy runs well. Maybe one failure in the feed ramp every 350-400 rounds. None since replacing the mag springs, which were all twisted for some reason.

The matches we run will have the pistol under water several times. Dirty, nasty swamp water. Crawling up silty creeks. Crawling in sand/mud. So far, I have not had a Glock fail, but they are certainly not as nice to shoot as the Springfield.

I plan in increasing the tension on the trigger return spring as well. I don’t need a 2.5# trigger but I do need a dirty trigger to return and reset.

All academic at this point. I have shot a couple three guns with it and it’s ran fine. No field matches yet so I’m basically anticipating failure and trying to get in front of it.

Appreciate the replies.

Chris

I have a Vudoo Priest. Flawless pistol even in the dusty AZ desert. I run it in USPSA and Steel Challenge matches.