• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can a Remington 788 be converted to m16 or Sako extractor.

drglock

Old fat guy
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Morrison,Oklahoma
    had a stuck case in the chamber after firing that took some rough handling to get out . In the process the extractor pulled free from the bolt and broke off . Plus it looks to me that the small rim it sat under sheared ad well. Was wondering if a mini16 extractor could be installed and remedy this problem.

I don't remember for sure on an M16 extractor, but they can be converted to a Sako extractor.

My understanding is the M16 extractor is generally used when a Sako extractor job goes wrong and is cut too far. I could be wrong though.

can you post a good pic of the bolt face? I'll compare it to mine. If the bolt isn't damaged extractors and rivets are cheap at Numrich Gun Parts.

Last edited:
    0e872413c52aae9126bb7f9e765aa1e1.jpg
    41bf5c52d5c4599b031c16650e2980f8.jpg
    2d70b5ebc6f12c1ef891209749b93584.jpg
    d17841a5e910a93439c2a8d6ab95e541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be but I believe it broke the rim off that helped keep the extractor in place.
    I’ve had this 788 6mm for just little over 42 years. It was a Christmas gift from my grandfather. It has more sentimental value than anything . It’s probably been bad a for awhile and the stuck case out it over the edge when I hit the bolt with my palm trying to extract the shell .

Yup. it's broke. Every once in a while one will come up on eBay, gunbroker, etc. I'm not sure if it these bolts have enough meat for a Sako or M16 style extractor. Even if it can be done, make sure whomever you have do it is well versed in 788 actions. There is a decent chance that it will jack with the ejection angle. Up side is, there's no lugs to lomit where it goes.

I wish I could help with a Smith recommendation. Maybe go over to Accurateshooter and ask. There are some benchrest shooters over there that have built 788s and may be able to point you in the right direction.

looking at my action, that action or bolt head may need a little extra work. Becuase the lugs are out back the floating head has a tendency to hit the action just in front of the ejection port. This has some raised burrs on mine so need to cratex off. If yours does too, you may consider having the gunsmith see if he can silver solder or weld some extra material on and machine it back to normal, maybe without the extractor groove, and put a touch of bevel on it. This should help it feed. I am also curious if the barrel will need to have a little clearance cut for whatever extactor you choose?

Please keep us informed about what is recommended. The 788s are wicked accurate little rifles. Mine was my Fathers and I love it. Light, handy, accurate.

Call Chad at LRI.
    Lots of great smiths who could probably fix this. Have seen many examples on here of his work fixing buggered stuff.

Two things to check:

1. Does the striker pin collar up front exceed .200" in diameter?
    2. Is the body of the bolt head at or near .700" in diameter?

If the striker collar is at or below .200 and the bolt is near .700" then an M16 extractor should be able to install with no issue.

never heard the terminology Striker Pin Collar so I just pulled what I thought might be relevant from a 243win bolt. Remington made three actions in the 788. I don't know the specific differences so these measurements may not work for the 6mm Remington.

Bolt Body OD- .0695" - .070"
    Bolt nose to face - .145"
    thickness above extractor - .110"

I had a Rem 788 in 223 do the same exact thing a few years ago. Broke a chunk off the same way. I installed a Tubb/Sako style extractor and it worked great. Straight forward milling job. I don't see why you couldn't do it on your 6mm. They're easier to do on 788s without the lugs in the way like the 700.

Here's a couple pics of extractor. I also managed to salvage a SS fluted Rem barrel that had a bad chamber by cutting off chamber and making a barrel nut for it. That was my only choice since the shoulder was no longer large enough. Turned the gun into a .222 for shits and grins. Functioned great and shot good.

Attachments

• photo82255.jpg
      photo82255.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 186
    • photo82256.jpg
      photo82256.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 151
    • photo82257.jpg
      photo82257.jpg
      116.5 KB · Views: 171