• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Can Am vs Honda ATVs?

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a new ATV.

Basic uses are work around the yard, plowing the driveway in the winter and occasional trail riding/hauling fishing gear out on the lake in winter.

Must be a 4x4 and automatic. Other than that I'm open.

I've been around ATVs for quite a while but nobody I know has a new Honda and only one guy I know has a Can Am but it's eight or nine years old.

I owned a couple of Polaris Sportsman's that were 2006 models. They didn't give me any trouble, but looking long term as I don't intend on buying another one for quite some time. The Polaris just don't seem to hold up compared to their competitors.

I've been looking at the Honda Rancher or Rubicon with DCT. The IRS would be nice but isn't necessary. The resale of the Hondas are pretty decent.

The Rincon seems like a nice model, but isn't available with power steering or IRS, which I find rather odd. But I'm sure this model would do everything I need and then some.

The Hondas seem to be a no-frills machine with the exception of a few models.

As for the Can Am, I'm leaning towards the Outlander with the 650 motor. The 850 and 1000 are nice, but the extra power isn't a need. Can Am definitely builds a damn nice looking machine.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Honda but would like to hear some opinions from current or previous owners.

Thanks in advance.

I am still a little stuck on my 300 hp lazy boy mobility scooter with a killer sound system idea with the gun rack and tote along beer cooler/ mini fridge combo it starts to seem more like a pick up truck size wise with kc light racks and big old truck tires lol,

I grew up riding ATVs. I have an older Honda 4x4 now. Honda has always had a tough as nails reputation in my area but have always been priced a little above other brands. Especially with parts.

Now, I'll admit its been some years since I last researched ATVs. But Honda was looking like they were falling a little behind in innovations and comfort.

Resale on used Hondas in my area are very good too. I would not hesitate to buy a Honda. My last new one was a Yamaha which is probably where I'd start if I were to be looking to buy a new on.

My dad bought a practically new Honda a couple years ago. He does similar to what your looking to do. He absolutely loves it. It’s great, reliable, and has plenty of power.

If performance isn’t your main concern look hard at the Honda’s and Yamaha Grizzly. Can Ams are known for electrical issues and Polaris’s belt system is on the weaker side. If you’re main concern is pure reliability for work my nod would go to the Honda. Their transmission is all but bullet proof. Best of all worlds is the Yamaha Grizzly in my opinion. They lack the power of the bigger Can Ams and Polaris’s but their 4x4 system and belt transmission are better.

Honda. Had a 1997 400 i sold when i bought my SxS . Guy who bought it off me says it's still going strong. Love my Honda SxS Pioneer too not the fastest but it takes me anywhere i need to go.

I got a Rubicon last year and Its a great machine.

The transmission, and power steering are nice. I like the machine and would get another one in a heartbeat.

But there are a few things that are a little less than perfect for me. I have a bad left hip and the foot position causes pain in my hip. I would gladly give up an inch of ground clearance to be able to put my foot an inch lower, and I am always looking at the fender that my toe is jammed against wishing there were some way to move it forward a bit. If you are just a little younger and more flexible this should not be a problem for you.

I am much more of a putterer than a ramrod and initially this lead to not loving the transmission. In my defense I usually have more kids riding with me than the owners manual suggests is proper, thus it is only proper that I take it pretty easy. So when you are really taking it easy the gear shift feels very solid. Like a bang slam. Eventually I found that you just have to use just a bit more of the on switch to make the shifts very smooth.

I have a 2017 Rubicon, TRX500FA5 model. Ind rear suspension, DCT trans, NO POWER STEERING. I love it. Suspension is adjustable for when I am using a plow. Don't need the power steering on a quad if you can bench press more than 50lbs, and it's another thing to go bad and replace IMO. DCT can be harsh until warmed up after a few minutes but I enjoy the positive gear engagement.

Would not even consider another quad - everybody and their brother can fix Honda's and get parts easily around here. Also have an older fourtrax that still runs like new although we've beat the tar out of it. Can am? Might look cool but not near the machine Honda is for hard use. Ride the real trails, you may see one or two Polaris but the majority of the guys who ride hard are on Hondas.

Last edited:
    Reactions: diverdon
    In response to the above comment on power steering, I feel a need to clarify when PS is nice vs when it's needed. When I'm backing up a wagon on uneven ground I need PS to make it easy, because as you turn to look where the wagon is you only have one hand on the bar, and it's hard for me to make fine adjustments without PS. That's when it's necessary, when is it nice? It is always nice.

I have a 2008 Honda fourtrax rancher. It's a 420 fuel injection. I got the solid rear end and manual shift. Only thing I have done besides fluid changes is a new battery. I had them add a pull start when I purchased it. Sometimes I am really far from help if it won't start, but it has always started. I also put a 2500 pound warn winch on it.

It has tons of torque. I plow snow with a 54 inch warn plow, take it ice fishing, haul deer, hauled a 350 pound black bear on the rear rack for 26 miles once, rode it up the Rockies carrying all my elk hunting camp at 9700', trail riding, pull started an 8n with clorided tires and a trailer full of firewood, move empty gravity boxes, hay wagons.

It's done everything I have ever asked of it.

I grew up working in my friend's honda shop here in MS. They are, as you said, no frills, reliable atv. I owned a 2009 outlander 800 and it was an amazing atv, when I could keep it working.... As noted above, I had electrical issues, that never seemed to get fixed at the dealer, more like band aids that would pull off from time to time. The power and suspension is leaps and bounds above all the hondas, but as you said it's not needed. Grab a Honda 500, and call it a day (for years to come)

My son works in the service department of a multi brand power sports dealership, his quick take. The DCT on the Honda can be problematic, they are very complex and expensive to repair, also tend to be a bit clunky. The CAN AM Outlander 650 is an overall good machine, have seen a couple with electrical gremlins, not the easiest to do general servicing. His recommendation, especially when used for plowing is the Suzuki King Quad 750, it has a heavy rear end, easy to service and has no known weak points.

Reactions: Jaron3
    A note on the power steering. When they first came out with power steering it was meant to be an alternative to a steering stabilizer basically. That is what it shines doing but it also eases turning at slow speeds especially with 4x4 engaged. When speed increases so does resistance in the EPS to act like a steering stabilizer. It will keep the bars from ripping out of you hands if you hit a tree, rock, root or rut with 1 wheel. I won’t own a sport quad without a good steering stabilizer like a Precision and I won’t own a utility quad without power steering. They work that well.
    E616ED8E-9E9D-4EC6-A353-EF517484D2BB.jpeg

i have the rincon, and also an older foreman. zero issues and i'd buy them again. i did recently buy the honda pioneer 700 sxs which i think has the rincon engine and tranny, one reason i bought that. honda's always been my favorite powersports brand but they're all pretty good these days. i've never needed power steering on any of these machines.

My son works in the service department of a multi brand power sports dealership, his quick take. The DCT on the Honda can be problematic, they are very complex and expensive to repair, also tend to be a bit clunky. The CAN AM Outlander 650 is an overall good machine, have seen a couple with electrical gremlins, not the easiest to do general servicing. His recommendation, especially when used for plowing is the Suzuki King Quad 750, it has a heavy rear end, easy to service and has no known weak points.
    The Suzuki never even entered my mind. Good points.

I bought a can-am against the advice of my dealer. He said he sells 50 hondas, and probably 30 Yamaha's to every one can-am however can-ams take up half the service department. I had my can-am out for 1 weekend on trails and mild terrain, had it in the shop getting all new brake calipers and pads the next week.

Avoid:
    Polaris: easy to work on, and you'll find out, because they need constant servicing/maintenance.
    Can-Am: harder to work on, and you'll be needing some specialty tooling, you'll find this out too pretty quick.
    Any of the chinese brands: CFmoto, Odes, SSR, etc... junk, junk, junk...

Buy:
    Honda's: very reliable, work oriented, not the fastest, smoother, or most thrilling, but you'll spend more time riding than wrenching unlike the above two. Rincon is the best mix of fun/work from them.
    Yamaha's: also very reliable, better mix of work-to-play than the Honda's, faster, smoother, more thrilling than Honda, but not as much as the Can-am or Polaris. Personally, I'll keep buying these (and my last machine was a 2017 Polaris RZR)... I'd love another Grizzly or a Kodiak.

No experience:
    Suzuki and Kawasaki: heard good things, and my hunting buddy has a King Quad that seems very reliable, and comparable to a Grizz, I've just never bought one. Always was curious about a Brute Force or KQ, so maybe I'll try one of those next.

I had a couple of SxS's... I'm done with them personally. Probably a ball out in some wide open areas, but in the tight woods of the NE, just not as much fun as a quad.

Reactions: bkglock
    Honda ATV is top notch in reliability and resale. A slightly used atv in like new condition will save you a ton of money. ATVs are a thing of the past everybody wants UTVs now. The only Honda I would stay away from is the electric shift. If you shut off a electric shift Honda in gear there is no way to start it if your battery is weak. It takes a good battery to get it to shift to neutral and it won’t start in gear so there you sit.

Honda ATV is top notch in reliability and resale. A slightly used atv in like new condition will save you a ton of money. ATVs are a thing of the past everybody wants UTVs now. The only Honda I would stay away from is the electric shift. If you shut off a electric shift Honda in gear there is no way to start it if your battery is weak. It takes a good battery to get it to shift to neutral and it won’t start in gear so there you sit.

Interesting.

With the Rincon, it seems there are three transmissions available.

The 100% manual with toe shift
    The Electronic Shift
    The DCT

The ES and the DCT have both been mentioned to have issues and I really don't want to have to fiddle dick with a toe shift. I'll have to look more into these.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Some great info to consider

I must not be everybody, I have zero interest in a UTV and would pick an Atv over a UTV every day.

UTV’s suck for plowing, you’re fucked if you get stuck in the open, more expensive, more expensive to repair or upgrade, less agile. If I want a small truck to haul things around the yard I would buy a $3k ford ranger.

Have you ever ridden an atv or UTV? You are just offering stupid advice at this point. If the battery is so weak to not activate the electronic shift, do you think there is enough juice to turn the motor over?

I have had 0 issues through owning 3 different Honda’s over the past 10 years. My current 2017 rubicon shifts to neutral automatically upon shut off. Have fun with foot shift wearing winter boots.

Last edited:
    Imo Honda is the ultimate in reliability. If it makes sense from a performance/features standpoint it's hard to go wrong. My XR650R dirt bike shares an engine (different state of tune and such) with an ATV. In the motorcycle the motor is tuned to a higher spec where it revs higher and makes more power. Even so, it's been utterly bulletproof. I bought the bike used, raced it to 5th overall in the longest off road race in the country (and would have been first if not for a bad crash, that the bike weathered without issue), and put a few thousand trail miles on it. All with only basic maintenance and not a single hiccup.

I must not be everybody, I have zero interest in a UTV and would pick an Atv over a UTV every day.

UTV’s suck for plowing, you’re fucked if you get stuck in the open, more expensive, more expensive to repair or upgrade, less agile. If I want a small truck to haul things around the yard I would buy a $3k ford ranger.

Have you ever ridden an atv or UTV? You are just offering stupid advice at this point. If the battery is so weak to not activate the electronic shift, do you think there is enough juice to turn the motor over?

I have had 0 issues through owning 3 different Honda’s over the past 10 years. My current 2017 rubicon shifts to neutral automatically upon shut off. Have fun with foot shift wearing winter boots.
    Yes I have ridden a atv lol. You mentioned your Honda automatically shifts to neutral upon shut off. I was unaware Honda changed that. I have a Honda rancher es here on the farm I believe it’s a 2014 or 15. It does not have that feature. Which answers my question that it was a problem and has now been remedied. As I said before Honda is top notch the in every way except what I had noted. It is common knowledge that ATVs are not that sought after anymore which is why you can get a screaming deal on a like new one in my area. I would take the Honda es over a belt drive any day. As far as not being able to pull a foot shifter well it really isn’t that hard imo.

Reactions: Bender
    My past Atv’s
    Yamaha Big bear
    Honda 400ex
    Kawasaki kfx 400
    Honda 250ex

my current ATVs
    A newer kfx400
    Ltz400
    Honda rancher 420es
    Raptor 250
    Raptor 125
    Raptor 125
    Honda 90
    Suzuki 50
    Suzuki 50

so I guess you could say we are a atv family lol

Yes I have ridden a atv lol. You mentioned your Honda automatically shifts to neutral upon shut off. I was unaware Honda changed that. I have a Honda rancher es here on the farm I believe it’s a 2014 or 15. It does not have that feature. Which answers my question that it was a problem and has now been remedied. As I said before Honda is top notch the in every way except what I had noted. It is common knowledge that ATVs are not that sought after anymore which is why you can get a screaming deal on a like new one in my area. I would take the Honda es over a belt drive any day. As far as not being able to pull a foot shifter well it really isn’t that hard imo.

I would say the opposite - the UTV's aren't very popular here (except for the subdivision badasses who want a cool golf cart) due to the high cost and poor flexibility/ability to go places an ATV can go easily, which is the point of an off road vehicle. UTV's are fairly useless unless you're just driving around the yard, in that case a Mini-truck or Ford Ranger can be had for $3-5k (with a full cab, heat, etc), versus the $10-25k for a UTV.

The Electric Shift/low battery isn't a problem as stated above. Your ATV isn't going to start if the battery is that low anyway. Try pulling a foot shifter with Size 13 winter hunting boots on.

Thanks for sharing that this was changed. Some of the units don't have a rope start back up.

Guess I'm the outlier. I own a 2019 Outlander Maxx 1000. It is a beast and don't think I would spend the money on the 1000 again. However I have around 1,500 miles on it now and have just done basic oil changes. The power steering is very nice and IRS.

My dealer sells Honda, Yamaha, kawasaki, Polaris, CanAm, and Suzuki. He said the best bang for the buck is the polaris Sportsman 450. He had them for around $4,500.

ATV is more mobile, lighter if you get stuck, and you can stand up through large bumps or crossing deadfall.

I've had a Honda and loved it. It was an older Rubicon, and had a straight rear axel but went through mud as well as my Polaris or my brothers Can Am.
    Those three I have experience with and all seem very comparable. The Can Am is more spendy but fit and finish are top notch. Honda is a bit more money also but was more reliable in my opinion. Polaris is quite a bit less money and is easy to work on and I wanted one as American made as I could get though I've had to change a wheel bearing (we love our muddin!).

Definitely steer away from the Chinese ones. They are junk.

We use 4-wheelers 365 days a year- and use them hard. We have pretty much tried them all and now we only run Suzuki and Honda. Suzuki king quad is by far my favorite- but you need to get the 500. The King Quad 400 is a much cheaper built machine than the discontinued 450 and the current 500. We had a couple King quads die with 26,000 miles and the other was in the 24,000 miles. Neither ever had any engine work done... but at that time the rest of the machine was falling apart also so it was time to park them. Right now we have one suzuki with 18,000 and a Honda 420 rancher with 13,000 and they are both going strong. The rancher (2015) does have the DCT transmission and it will lock in gear and not shift or start sometimes.... and it has been to the shop for that. The suzuki is a much nicer ride and handles and turns better.

We parked out Can Am at 8000 miles... the engine still ran but the frame couldn't handle it. We welded that thing up so many times (and it was so thin of metal). And working on it was horrible.

I had a 700 Yamaha Grizzly or kodiak.... (can't remember, the cheaper model line) and I really enjoyed riding it- but it was always hot. The fan would run constant and the engine put off enough heat that it would bother my leg.

I beat the piss out of a Honda Foreman 400 and Rubicon 500 growing up. Both we tough. I preferred the 400 due to the manual transmission. Mostly usual maintenance as in oil, air filter, and a set of tires and brakes occasionally. Did have to put swing arm bushings in the 400 after so long.

No experience with Can Am.

A Honda is what I’ll get when I snag a sxs.

I just purchased a 2020 Honda foreman rubicon 520 DCT, IRS, no power steering. Damn good machine. I’ve always rode Honda’s. The DCT is alittle different from the past Honda’s I’ve had. But it’s a nice machine and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Like someone said up above, once it’s warmed up it seems to be a lot smoother

We use 4-wheelers 365 days a year- and use them hard. We have pretty much tried them all and now we only run Suzuki and Honda. Suzuki king quad is by far my favorite- but you need to get the 500. The King Quad 400 is a much cheaper built machine than the discontinued 450 and the current 500. We had a couple King quads die with 26,000 miles and the other was in the 24,000 miles. Neither ever had any engine work done... but at that time the rest of the machine was falling apart also so it was time to park them. Right now we have one suzuki with 18,000 and a Honda 420 rancher with 13,000 and they are both going strong. The rancher (2015) does have the DCT transmission and it will lock in gear and not shift or start sometimes.... and it has been to the shop for that. The suzuki is a much nicer ride and handles and turns better.

We parked out Can Am at 8000 miles... the engine still ran but the frame couldn't handle it. We welded that thing up so many times (and it was so thin of metal). And working on it was horrible.

I had a 700 Yamaha Grizzly or kodiak.... (can't remember, the cheaper model line) and I really enjoyed riding it- but it was always hot. The fan would run constant and the engine put off enough heat that it would bother my leg.

Are they hiring where you work?

I've been around them all for years and strongly recommend the Suzuki Kingquad 750. I'm loyal to no manufacturer, but Suzuki has built something special with their Kingquad lineup... EXTREMELY reliable, easy to service, smooth power delivery, good engine braking, excellent ride, relatively low weight, and gobs of available accessories.

Reactions: Bender and bkglock
    Did some shopping around and found a 2019 Rancher for more than $1500 off MSRP.

The dealers had already out a plow, winch and tires on it, which I would have done anyways.

The tires were ITP Mud Lites and are a pretty aggressive tire. I know they would tear the shit out of the yard so I had them order in some Sedona Rock Bully's instead.

Once they came in, they'll get put on the wheeler and I'll get to take her home.

A big thank you to everyone for all the comments.

I'll post some pics after I take possession.

That will make you a nice quad. A leftover new unit is a smart purchase. Enjoy

Have had 2.
    First one was bought around 1980.
    Second one was around 2000.
    Honda trx 300 first.
    Honda foreman 450 second.
    Sold the 300 a couple of years ago,still worked fine.
    Both have been used on a ranch/farm the entire time.
    Changed the oil and tires, that's it...

R

I’ve owned many Honda’s, never done more than oil or brakes. Current 420 rancher IRS DCT is pretty impressive and smooth. I do have a soft spot for some of the older rubicons if you can find a clean old one, they last forever. The recent models like this one, the plastics come off for access and cleaning about 10x easier than the older models though.
    B508356C-90B8-44A3-A81A-B9F96F920133.jpeg

Reactions: Stevo86
    Shit, that's about the same damn one I bought. Same color and everything. Do you have the power steering in it?

Yeah. I powder coated the springs and control arms, and put a winch and small light bar. Rims are cheap Remington wheels. Tires 27” bighorn 2.0. They are radial, and VERY smooth with the power steering. They are great trail tires but not made to bury in mud, but that’s not my thing.

Yeah. I powder coated the springs and control arms, and put a winch and small light bar. Rims are cheap Remington wheels. Tires 27” bighorn 2.0. They are radial, and VERY smooth with the power steering. They are great trail tires but not made to bury in mud, but that’s not my thing.
    It's a good looking machine. Those Bighorns are unbelievably popular in Minnesota.

Who did you go to for the light bar? I'm contemplating one for when winter comes and I need to plow at night or field dress a deer after dark.

I don't think. you will be disappointed. I drank the Can Am koolaid several years back. I wanted to flog my son for trading off my rancher 350 behind my back. It was bombproof and I miss it. Not to mention it was small and light enough to get in and out of tight woods. The past few years CA and Polaris seem to be fighting for who can throw more crap on their ATVs. Yeah they come loaded and they come at a price too. For anyone else stumbling on this thread, do yourself a favor and go sit on it at a minimum if not demo ride the atv. My 1000 is like riding on a 5 gal bucket. The seat could have been way more ergonomic.

what ever model you get, check out HaysFab headlights. huge improvement over stock!
    E5E776B1-B5B8-4F84-BF50-B396B3051D42.jpeg

Lightbar is from extremelight bars.com I think. I used the bumper bolts and made brackets. If your plow it, you want the light high as possible. I don’t care for lights on top of the rack. They’re less protected, and suck when you want to strap a deer or 150lbs of corn to the rack