• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone see bullet holes @ 600 yds ?

Yes,

The target gets pulled into the pit, a spotter disk gets punched into the bullet hole (ideally a white spotter) and when the target comes up the 6 inch disk is as clear as day through my spotting scope.

When I do a ladder test at 500 or 600 yards, I use the white side of an IPSC cardboard target with small orange sticker spot in the center. If light it right, I can see them well enough to mark them on a corresponding drawing I may in my reloading/redneck-data book. But if really cold and shooting from the heated shooting house or general conditions for a lot of mirage, its worthless to try. I am typically using a 5.5-22 or 8-32 NXS scope. I also have a Swaro 20-60 spotting scope, but seem to pick them up better with my rifle scope.

Really, really want a camera system though. If busy at the range, and conditions to not allow to pick up the shots as I make them, it sucks trying to decipher the sharpie-marker color of the holes.

That is why I shoot steel. I got tired of getting in my truck and driving a half mile both ways (I have a 850 yd range) just to check the target. I have $400 in AR500 but saves tons of time and gas. I also love the sound it makes 4 seconds after you hit it.

At 500yds, I have no problem...but only early in the morning on a calm day. After a couple hours, mirage is up and no go. Target is a big factor. I get a large white sheet and use Shoot-n-c's for my aiming point. Another factor is I shoot in the Hi desert of Cali so we have some good crystal clear mornings. I use both the Kowa and Vortex HD scopes.

Before I owned steel targets my friends and I would take neon green poster board and cover it with clear tape, than we spray paint it black. I guess it's kind of like a huge shoot n see, but they worked great. You can keep hitting them with paint for days if you want too. I had no problem with my 15x nightforce seeing hits at 600, but steel is much more fun.

12-42x Nightforce NXS... unless the mirage is bad. .223 holes maybe not so much but 7mm and bigger can be distinguished. Contrast helps a lot.

I added an optical booster to my Leupold MK4 8.5-25X50mm and it's amazing. Power increase and it helped me with being able to read mirage, all I can say is wow!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i kinda made a poor mans version of a targetvision system with a spotting scope, web cam and my laptop. I drilled a hole in the center of the plastic cup style eyepiece lenses cover and mounted the webcam to it. plug into the laptop and boom I have a 17" spotting scope that I can record, mark and most importantly see without having to move from my rifle.

Spotting scopes are a great investment but going cheap will not usually pan out too well ! The old adage ya get what ya pay for rings true with most optiks !

500 meters with 6.5 creedmore on our Schutzen Targets (3" red center, rest is white with fine red rings) with Sightron SIII 8x32x56 (mirage gets bad no go). Note: can't see the ones in the red, just figure if you can't see them that's where they went...

Yes, like 2 to 3 times when conditions and lighting were perfect I was able to make corrections off what I saw to be holes @ 600. I called my impacts out and made corrections before the targets were marked with the spotting discs for the next string. Witnesses to boot.

Scope: S&B 5-25 PMII

Like I said though, conditions and lighting was just right. However I do see my 6.5 holes at 425 on a regular basis though. Might be a combination of the target we use, the lighting on our range, and conditions that allow for this.

Vu

Skinney here was spotting for me a year or two ago with his Swarovski spotter (20-60 I think) and was calling 6mm bullet holes in white paper for me. We were all ridiculously amazed to get behind the glass and see for ourselves.

Flat Tire - the answer to your question is "yes". It is relatively easy to see bullet holes at 600 yd through a decent spotting scope as long as the mirage isn't horrendous. I set up target boards on 3/8" x 2' x 4' sheets of plywood clamped to garden stakes with small hand clampes as shown in the first pic below. The clamps/stakes/boards were purchased relatively inexpensively at the local Ace Hardware. Depending on how often you hoot, the target boards easily last a year or more before they're too shot up to use. I staple targets to the boards prior to driving out to the range, so they're ready to go when I get there. Pound in the stakes, clamps the target boards/targets to them...done.

target2jpg.jpg

The targets I use at 600 yd are the 18" Shoot-N-C. I black out the yellow lines and numbers with a Sharpie so that the whole target face is black except for the red aiming dot. That way, you won't easily miss a shot hole that's on a line or mistake a number for a shot hole. Although they're fairly pricey, you can usually re-use a target 3-4 times after covering up the holes with the pasters. The image below below is a practice target for F-Class midrange, so after I get home I scratch 3" and 6" circles in the target face with a compass to represent the "X" and 10" rings. Then I score it and record the score. For example, this target would have been a 148/150-8X. The Shoot-N-C target makes it relatively easy to spot the holes at 600 yd, unless the mirage is extremely heavy. I use a Vortex Razor spotting scope, but you can see the holes even with a relatively inexpensive spotter.

600ydTarget_zps9f343c6b.jpg

something seems weird about the "4 seconds after you hit it" @ 850 yards…. At 1 mile the impact noise *if the wind is in your favor, your shooting a pinger friendly (lighter - not thick AR500) metal and you have your hearing amplifier turned up so you have a chance of hearing it, the ping only takes about 4.8 seconds after you see the splash to confirm a hit.. at 1100y it only takes 3 seconds after your visual.. at least were i shoot the most..

Jt

Sorry I was not technical enough, it is 2.8 seconds. It is hard to operate my stopwatch while shooting and trying to watch my hit through the scope. I was only making the point that the pause between impact and report off the plate is very cool. But thanks for dazzling us with your superior intelligence.

Last edited:
Yup even mid day I can use my Leupold 12-40 Gold Ring to see 6.5mm holes at 500 even out to 600 on a good day. I can see the same through my 5-25 schmidt.

[

Dude really? I know because for kicks we've counted if off -- when the spotter gets board.. I wasn't busting your balls.. I said something seemed weird.. Maybe you were shooting further.. But by your response I get it..

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry just took it wrong.

I'm aware. It was a joke.

But duly noted that in this day and age saying something whether truly offensive or taken the wrong way may get your private property taken away

I was able to spot my impacts at 1040 a couple years ago. I've sold the .50, though, and don't shoot API anymore.

I have problems past ~200yd on paper. So much mirage, seems like all the time. Maybe I should try an early morning trip next weekend.

But duly noted that in this day and age saying something whether truly offensive or taken the wrong way may get your private property taken away

You are correct. While there was nothing actually racist said, people do go way overboard when they sense racism (even wrongfully). I can understand why, even jokingly, its not cool to accuse somebody of racism. Again, it was just a joke and i did not mean to make anybody uncomfortable.

You are correct. While there was nothing actually racist said, people do go way overboard when they sense racism (even wrongfully). I can understand why, even jokingly, its not cool to accuse somebody of racism. Again, it was just a joke and i did not mean to make anybody uncomfortable.

I immediately recognized your comment as a joke. Its sad that PC has caused any concern when you meant no offense.

My reply was just a comment regarding the sad state our right to free speech finds itself in. I find I say some pretty offensive things on this site not because I mean to harm any particular person but I think the audience is grown up enough to recognize real offense from (dare I say) black humor or sarcasm.

ND 600yd fclass, sightron SIII 8-32x56, there was a day where I could make out the black stickers on the black background. The SIII's I've had impressed me.

Good day, right time, give me a white target, I usually used tagboard, yes I'd spot my shots.

I will second the Swarovskis. I have BigEyes made of 2 65 HD's that will show the bullets on just 30 power eyepieces when carefully set up for the observer on a stable heavy tripod. Clarity is even more important than power for good glass. For what it is worth, color is transmitted perfectly over these even at 1.5 miles!

Nice setup, but there's nothing mentioned as last shot or having an iPad app even though it would work as just a spotter so it meets the OP's original needs

I can't find where I saw that latest post. The builder had it in a nice smallish pelican case, all parts contained in foam.

I don't think any homemade system will have the last shot capability unless someone writes software for it.

1st option: targetcam or bullseye.
2nd option: steel target.
3rd option: Mother in Law 15 feet from target with some kind of comm device.

Yep. Early morning, clear day, no mirage with a March 10-60x52 (looking thru someone elses scope).
I've seen other's post that they could see bullet holes with a March @ 600 as well. Wish I owned one...

I cant even see my cock at from 6 inches away let alone holes at 600 yards

How do you get six inches away from your cock?

Double jointed? Have you tried to close the gap on that final six inches so you never have to leave your room? Perhaps the removal of a rib?