• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can it be done-6.5 Norma ?

idahoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Idaho
Can you get the 6.5 x 284 norma to function well as a repeater in a short action? The reason I ask is a buddy has a LRPV that needs a new barrel and hed love to screw a 6.5 x 284 on but only if it will still function as a repeater with his detachable mag. I dont know how long the mag box is, but Im pretty sure the port on the right side is 3 inches long, correct me if Im wrong. So, can it be done?

Re: Can it be done-6.5 Norma ?

Not repeater, but info might still help You a bit:

I know one Armalite AR10 converted to 6.5-284.
It works, saw owner punishing steel at 1000meters year ago. Very decent accuracy.

Unfortunately dont have details about conversion project itself.

Measure the box and look up the OAL in your reloading manual. Then make sure his gunsmith throats the barrel to the right length.

In additon to the OAL of the rds to be loaded. Also, the 284 case is a rebated rim case so the body is slightly bigger than the .308 rim which may play havoc on feeding. Check feed angle,too. The rds may not sit staggered properly in the mag box and cause trouble stripping a rd from the mag. Not saying this won't work but there are thing to watch out for. All seem fixable in a skill gunsmiths hands.

You may want to look into the barrel length he plans on running to determine if, due to the deep bullet seating to run the 6.5/284 in a short action, if he would be close to the same performance in, say a .260 and also using a fair amount less powder. I'm not overlay happy with the efficiency of my 6.5/284 (powder charge vs velocity) as compared to a .260 in a 26" barrel. But, extra velocity is extra velocity.