• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone explain something for me?

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
What's the process for defining an Ogive curvature? Does anyone have a reference for actually doing the math to make something that is truly correct instead of just "looks about right"

What does a "6 caliber ogive" vs. an "18 caliber ogive" mean and how can I calculate the shape of a bullet to build it in CAD geometry and ultimately to cut some swaging dies for it?

Re: Can someone explain something for me?

Ogive is the radius of the nose of the bullet. There can be "tangent" ogive, where the radius "meets" bullet diameter for a smooth transition (center of radius intersects at bullet diameter), or "secant" ogive where the center of the radius is behind the junction of the two surfaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_cone_design

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks guys, WRM that link is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks a bunch. It never dawned on me to search Wikipedia for it.

Cool - My pleasure.

I figured you'd like the formulas....

Bill

You should be aware that bullet design is about matching the design to an intended purpose.
You should design a bullet first in something like Prodas to make sure it is stable and potentially suited to the intended purpose . Then move the design to CAD.
Most people can't get near anything like Prodas so I would suggest using the physical parameters of a known accurate bullet that you have used rather than try to come up with an improved design that may fail. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be aware that bullet design is about matching the design to an intended purpose.
You should design a bullet first in something like Prodas to make sure it is stable and potentially suited to the intended purpose . Then move the design to CAD.
Most people can't get near anything like Prodas so I would suggest using the physical parameters of a known accurate bullet that you have used rather than try to come up with an improved design that may fail. Just my opinion. </div></div>

That's a good point, thank you. I was planning on trying to use some dynamics of rotating masses to calculate the different parameters that I am looking at producing. I've never heard of Prodas, I was planning to use ADAMS to map it's various trajectory states through a velocity decay and time of flight.

Thanks again for the formulas. Cheers>