• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cartridges: Must haves

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    What cartridges do you guys believe are must haves regardless if you're a big game hunter, PRS competitor, varmint hunter, plinker, etc.

If you like rifles and love shooting, is there a must have cartridge or cartridges you believe anyone and everyone should have? If so, what are they and do you actually have them?

Yes, with this whole corona virus BS, I'm bored lol...

I believe everyone should have a 308 and a 223. I already have a 223, a 6.5CM, a 270, and just recently bought a 308 but i still don't receive it.

*edit*

I also have a .22 in rifle format and a 9mm in handgun format of course.

Everyone should have, and know how to use an AR-15, FAL, AK-47 or some civilian variant of a battle rifle.

The rest is just icing on the cake. I always thought 223, 22-250, 308, and 300WM, but now I am partial to having something in 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm also. I have become terribly partial to my 6.5 Creedmoor over my .308.

I just picked up a 6 Creedmoor barrel, to burn out the last of my stash of 6mm bullets. I got to looking and it looks like I might need 2 barrels to get through them all. ? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: stello1001
    Let's employ logic and pragmatism to answer this question...

In the case of SHTF, and I do not mean zombies or Ebola AIDS... SHTF can be as simple as getting lost in the woods and complex as a civil war.... You want something that is:

1. Easily obtainable
    2. Easily repaired in the field
    3. Maximum effectiveness
    4. Currency/barter value

Rifle wise, .223/5.56 is perhaps one of the MOST commonly familiar, stockpiled, and hoarded centerfire rifle cartridges, if not the most. An AR carbine would be much recommended for any starter prep kit.

Pistol: In order... 9mm Luger, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, followed by straight wall revolver cartridges like .357 Magnum, .38 Spcl, and .45 Long Colt

Have an AR carbine and a 1911 or Glock??? You are set for almost any emergency that a civilian may face...

Everyone should have at least one of each of the following: combat/self-defense pistol, carbine, rifle, shotgun, rimfire. Lots of choices in each category; narrowing them down to just one isn't a great use of time. Ammo availability should be a consideration, though, and as we all know too well, popularity can work both for and against us depending upon which way the wind blows.

Reactions: Yasherka
    For Rifle
    22lr
    .223/5.56

For Pistol
    9mm

are must haves

going down the list from there, I would add

6.5CM and 300 blackout to rifle
    and maybe .40 for pistol

AR15, AR10, Glock, 1911, Ruger 10/22
    This is where I am at now, have 223/5.56, 308s, 30-06, 300 win mag, 22 lr, 9mm, 45 amp, 12, 20, and 410. I like to have rifles I can usually find ammo anywhere.

While I have the obligatory stuff already, I also have some of the much less common, yet not rare, stuff.

This is what I see in times like the present: the "common calibers everywhere" are sold out... because that's what everyone has and wants. I can walk into my lgs tomorrow and get a box of 25-06, .300 wby, 10mm, 30-30 and others.

Reactions: stello1001
    1F443185-9EA1-4603-8F5F-04E032B6FFE0.jpeg

Everyone should have, and know how to use an AR-15, FAL, AK-47 or some civilian variant of a battle rifle.

The rest is just icing on the cake. I always thought 223, 22-250, 308, and 300WM, but now I am partial to having something in 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm also.

I just picked up a 6 Creedmoor barrel, to burn out the last of stash of 6mm bullets. I got to looking and it looks like I might need 2 barrels to get through them all. ? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
    75mm...

It really is the “do everything “ caliber!

Sirhr

Sometimes I go hunting for rabbits with my 9mm or my .22, will this fancy 75mm work for that?

In case of a SHTF scenario, everyone thinks that the 9mm, due to its popularity will be the most readily available. In early 2013, ammo/firearm shortage, 9mm was the first to go! The last was the unpopular .40 S&W. I already had a BHP but did not have that much ammo for it. So, first chance I got, I picked up an H&K P30L in .40 cal. (I already had a Ruger KP345, with plenty of ammo, so no prob there) because I believe in a little bit of everything...

...and why not the 155mm Davy Crockett to make a really BIG BOOM!!! :cool:

We all enjoy our new calibers such as the 6.5 PRC that I just had built but if you look at the past crisis, it always comes back to common calibers such as 22, 9mm, 308, 223, and shot gun shells. If you weren't already stocked up you already lost. The caveat to the ammo supply would be 30-06 and possibly 300wm. I don't see to much 22 mag in this area.

Picking the spread, you better be prepared to feed all those different calibers. Smaller lot selection allows for more stock piles. Adding to that a human can only carry so much on their back. If you got to hump out of town you are going to be limited.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    Yes 75mm is great for that, as long as you don't intend to eat it. :) It's hard to scrape the meat off the surrounding foliage. :)
    3BFB42FF-D980-404F-8E1D-3850F4C2521E.jpeg
    C6E31914-AA98-4084-8C5C-A1D25B208150.jpeg

meh... there are options!

In the Pacific war, a Japanese tactic against armor was to swarm the tanks, disable the engines and then kill the crews. So the tank crews would fire canister against their own tanks... the balls would not penetrate the armor and one shot would blast everyone off a tank... in shreds.

War is hell.

Some friends made up some canister for a 37mm Stuart a bunch of years ago and range tested it. I have video somewhere.

Very big shotgun!

Sirhr

Reactions: FS1
    to me the platform variation you should depend on regarding SHTF conditions would be common military based. historically it would begin with .30-06, and 45acp... in a suddenly left on the ground scenario, you might still find those, but for your backup weapons... for the past 50 years from the military sense, you would be looking at .223/5.56, .308 and 9mm... you base your choice of first at hand "defense" on those and you are good.... for food supply, 22lr... lots of bushy tails on the ground and in the trees

I am a simple gun whore I want them all .... from 17hmr to 155mm howitzer from what ever a battleship fired to a laser guided missile system and everything in between new and old cap and ball to black powder and atomic cannons man that's a wish list but everyone has to have a hoby ...

I am a simple gun whore I want them all .... from 17hmr to 155mm howitzer from what ever a battleship fired to a laser guided missile system and everything in between new and old cap and ball to black powder and atomic cannons man that's a wish list but everyone has to have a hoby ...

Why stop at 17HMR when you can have a .14 EIchelberger? ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

I think 22mag would be popular. Tons of available ammo, but not as many people shoot it compared to 22lr

I am one of those who prefer .22 Mag over the LR, but they are not well stocked as the LR, but they would be one of the first gone off the shelves...

AR15

40 Caliber glock with 9mm conversion parts

6.5 or 308 bolt rifle

12 gauge full length with various shells for hunting and defense

I think it depends on how many rifles a person intends to have. More rifles means more diversity.

For example, if I were to only have one rifle to do everything: 6.5CM AR-10

If two: 223 AR-15, 6.5CM Bolt

Three: 22lr, 223 AR, 6.5CM

Four: 22lr, 6CM Bolt, 308 AR-10, 300 WM

Five: 22lr, 300blk, 6CM, 308 AR-10, 300WM

That is exactly what I’m doing. I can load for both my sidearm and rifle, also cast bullets for them. I’m going with 44 mag pistolè and a 44 mag lever action. When I shoot game or an intruder I can dig the bulletin out of them and recycle it in my cast.

44 mag hand loads with the appropriate bullet will take down anything I will be shooting at, including but not limited to deer, squirrels, skinny little crack baby grown up to a adult crack head, 7’ 9” meth head that’s been crushin’ for 3 days and just smoked some PCP, bear, aliens, etc

Indeed.

Go to the local box box store. What cartridges are on the shelves? You should have something in a caliber that is easy to get in a panic. Something the crazies won’t hoard or try to gouge in a “crisis.”

Go to the local box box store. What cartridges are on the shelves? You should have something in a caliber that is easy to get in a panic. Something the crazies won’t hoard or try to gouge in a “crisis.”
    9mm
    45 acp
    38 spl
    30-30
    12 guage
    can be found virtually anywhere that sells ammo.

9mm
    45 acp
    38 spl
    30-30
    12 guage
    can be found virtually anywhere that sells ammo.
    Right now? Today?

I haven’t looked at pistol ammo but 22lr, 223/5.56, and 308/7.62 are pretty damned scarce in this area...

22lr
    22 mag
    300 wm

44 mag

Must have:

-22 LR Pistol/rifle
    -308 rem
    -12 gauge shotgun

* 22 & 308 suppressors;)

And A Country boy can survive

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    A wheelgun and levergun chambered in 357 mag wil do just about anything the average person will ever need. Both can be loaded from mild to wild. Load 38s for small game and magnums for everything else. Ammo can be found pretty much anywhere that sells ammo, its cheap and easy to reload.

And not to mention that they are black powder compatible too. You cannot load bottleneck cases with BP, or you will get airspace induced catastrophic failures.

Reactions: Dpp
    I’ve got a 41 magnum pistol and rifle. I know it’s more of an odd caliber now, but I can cast bullets and load for it

Calibers will be based on plans. If you stay at home then base it on what you reload. If you don't reload or are moving it should be based on availability. What availability means to me is what you would most likely be able to take or find:

9mm/40S&W/45 ACP for pistols

.223/5.56/7.62x39/7.62x51 for rifles

12 or 20 gauge for shotguns

Pseudo-standardized calibers should be easier "to find" if things get really bad.

What I've heard and read, the obscure cartridges are the ones still on the shelf.

.410, 9x18, etc.

Must have:

308/7.62x51 for barrel life, ease of finding componants, data and ammo and it being an overall solid hunting/defense round

22LR for training, cost effectivness, availability and being able to hunt small game with it

5.56 for cost effectivness, great defense round (with M193 or more expensive bonded bullets), extremely common caliber, ease of finding componants, data and ammo

9mm

Must have:

308/7.62x51 for barrel life, ease of finding componants, data and ammo and it being an overall solid hunting/defense round

22LR for training, cost effectivness, availability and being able to hunt small game with it

5.56 for cost effectivness, great defense round (with M193 or more expensive bonded bullets), extremely common caliber, ease of finding componants, data and ammo

9mm

/thread

That is exactly what I’m doing. I can load for both my sidearm and rifle, also cast bullets for them. I’m going with 44 mag pistolè and a 44 mag lever action. When I shoot game or an intruder I can dig the bulletin out of them and recycle it in my cast.

44 mag hand loads with the appropriate bullet will take down anything I will be shooting at, including but not limited to deer, squirrels, skinny little crack baby grown up to a adult crack head, 7’ 9” meth head that’s been crushin’ for 3 days and just smoked some PCP, bear, aliens, etc
    You’ll never recover a bullet out of game. So kiss that theory goodbye. And being a 44 man myself, the 357 beats it out as a shtf scenario. Dont believe me? Load up with 300 44 magnum rounds, then go walk a mile. Then do the same with a 357.

I get the common caliber thinking, it makes sense. But the current ammo supply shows that .243, 30-06, .270, 7mag, .40, 10mm etc have their place too! As far as have to have an AR/223 weapon, I always think about We Were Soldiers...
    LtCol Moore: I think you oughta get yourself an M16
    SergMajor Plumley: Sir, if the time comes I need one, they'll be plenty lying on the ground!

Sadly my yacht overturned and everything I used to own is lost.