• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

case length below min spec

solst_ice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
I bought some new Lapua .308 brass and prepared them to be unique before the 1st firing:

- did a full calibration
- deburred / verified the flash hole
- trimmed the cases to 2.005"
- chamfered the case mouth

I measured the case lengths before trimming. They varied between 2.006 - 2.010.
And I did something pretty stupid: I trimmed them to min length 2.005 before fire forming.
But I did not remember that the case will shrink when fired the 1st time in the fire forming process. Now all my nice Lapua cases are at a length of 1.998 - 2.000. Means, below specs.
Could this cause any problems? (Did not notice any so far)
Would it be worth to to another full calibration(s) to gain more length with the following shots? When I just calibrate the neck, the length will not change.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The saami spec is 2.015-.02 so anywhere from 1.995 to 2.015 should be good in a saami spec chamber.

Youll be fine, just dont trim for a couple firings if you want them long again. I like to trim mine to the middle of the range (so 2.005 would be my length, just like you did ;)) and youre not so far off of that.

When you say full calibration, do you mean load development? If so I wouldnt worry about it unless you notice the results start to change on paper for you. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1052.photobucket.com\/albums\/s442\/f67stang2\/b_194151_zpsee88b8a7.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
When you say full calibration, do you mean load development? If so I wouldnt worry about it unless you notice the results start to change on paper for you.
From the context of his post, I gather that he means full-length sizing vs. neck sizing only.

As you mentioned, he should be fine to shoot these as they are now, though if he does full-length size them they will grow some.

Hi guys,

that was pretty fast, thanks a lot!
Yes, I meant full-length sizing. Despite the fact, I trimmed them a bit too much, I'm happy with the results so far. -)