• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimmers (lyman in particular)

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
Is it just me or do manual case trimmers not work for shit? I've been using the Lyman universal case trimmer(link below) and the only way I'm able to make sure I'm able to be consistent is to repeatedly check the OAL on every case until it gets to the desired length.

The locking mechanism that sets the trimmer to the desired OAL does not hold for shit and if I don't measure each case intermediately I'll end up with a bunch of different length cases.

I have a Gracey power trimmer but it's setup for .223 and it's a pain in the ass getting the blade set. Should I just scrap the lyman and get the die for my Gracey? I know Giraud is the shit but I can't afford that right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

Re: Case trimmers (lyman in particular)

Are you running the carbide 1 piece blade on the gracey? I put one on mine and it is alot easier to swap cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you running the carbide 1 piece blade on the gracey? I put one on mine and it is alot easier to swap cartridges.
</div></div>

No I'm not but I've heard some good things about it. Doesn't Giraud make it? I think I'm going to break down and order it this week. How do you like the chamfer angle? I don't like to have a lot of chamfer on my cases.

It has a good bit. You can adjust it, but not like running 2 blades. It has a V notch that does the cutting so when you trim the length it makes the edge pointed. The chamfer is actually similar to the VLD chamfer that I got when using and old sinclair hand tool. Once you load a round in it, it is not that noticable. I like mine alot. I bought the trimmer without the motor and got a faster motor from Grainger that turned alot faster similar to the motor on the Giraud. It makes it alot smoother. Mine is about 7 or 8 years old so the newer motors may be better than the original ones the Grace came with.

i have a lyman manual trimmer. once I get it set up and tighten up the coarse and fine adjustment, it works good. I did put in a new cutter and that really helped. I didnt realize how dull the previous one had gotten until I swapped in a fresh one.

I've been using Possum Hollow trimmers for the 3 calibers I use the most, and have a Lyman for the rest. Whether your using it manually, or with the power adapter, it's all about feel and consistent pressure. With the adjustments set as tight as I can get them without stripping the screws out, I can still push a lot of pressure and trim about .004" over, or not push enough and lack about .005" from the desired length.

if you must crank, get a Wilson, it will produce square, exactly the same length every time, all other hand crankers pail in comparison.

I have a Forster crank and it works great. Hasn't moved in several thousand rounds.

My Lyman "Universal" trimmer is old, it's one of their first ones. Never seem to have any problems with consistancy or the stop collars when I do my part right. ??

I like it so well I wouldn't trade mine for any other manual type trimmer.

I'm ordering complete kits from Gracey (I've got the Giraud carbide cutter for .308 as well as the complete Giraud upgrade for the Gracey, but the other calibers are the 2 cutter affairs) as I don't wanna screw around with adjusting the cutters whenever I switch between calibers. The shaft, collet and cutters can be set for each caliber before shipping and instead of just changing out the collet, I change out the entire shebang to keep the other settings the same. YMMV

I'm still on the lookout for a Giraud though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you must crank, get a Wilson, it will produce square, exactly the same length every time, all other hand crankers pail in comparison. </div></div>

I would have to concur with, especially with the Sinclair stand and the Shark-Fin attachment to hold the caseholder in place.

It cuts them SQUARE and to the same length every damn time.

Again for the Wilson. I use the Sinclair micrometer and just keep record of my settings. Very simple to change. You can also get a power adapter if you want.