• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote air vs oven

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
What is the Pros and Cons of air cured and oven cured cerakote. thanks

Re: Cerakote air vs oven

Oven cure is tougher than air cure, but requires more care and of course a proper oven for curing. That is about it.

What do you mean by more care?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oven cure is tougher than air cure, but requires more care and of course a proper oven for curing. That is about it. </div></div>

I used air cure coyote on a scope and scope covers (sandblasted the covers with play sand first), rubbed the scope down lightly with scotch bright to break the gloss a bit. six months, dozen times to the range, take off the scope regularly (bobro mount), holding up as well as other, oven-cures I've seen and used. So far.

Try some.

Thanks for the info.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used air cure coyote on a scope and scope covers (sandblasted the covers with play sand first), rubbed the scope down lightly with scotch bright to break the gloss a bit. six months, dozen times to the range, take off the scope regularly (bobro mount), holding up as well as other, oven-cures I've seen and used. So far.

Try some. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by more care?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oven cure is tougher than air cure, but requires more care and of course a proper oven for curing. That is about it. </div></div> </div></div>

He probably means the proper measurement of the hardener. Depending on how much you want to mix up and the hardener ratio you are using, it can be difficult to estimate sub 1CC amounts of hardener.

I bought a bushel basket of cheap throw away (~$.30 each) 3CC syringes for that.

The oven cure Cerakote is the TOUGHEST paint I have used on firearms. It's abrasion resistance is great.

Darin Reiss
Black Hills Armory
Haysville, KS

How do you do air cure? I thought it was required to bake this stuff...

Air cure usually has a glossy sheen, oven cure can be matted down or shined up depending on the part-b ratio. cerakoteguncoatings.com will have a lot more info for you.

The guys at NCIS told me the air cure is better for gas guns because of the higher temps they can get while firing. I am sure if a person doesn't have a way to oven cure, the air dry would work just fine for a bolt gun too.

ok thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by more care?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oven cure is tougher than air cure, but requires more care and of course a proper oven for curing. That is about it. </div></div> </div></div>

He probably means the proper measurement of the hardener. Depending on how much you want to mix up and the hardener ratio you are using, it can be difficult to estimate sub 1CC amounts of hardener.

I bought a bushel basket of cheap throw away (~$.30 each) 3CC syringes for that.

</div></div>

Thanks for all the info guys. I dont have a oven big enuff to cure some of my parts but I might make one out of a old oven. I dont have the money to buy the real curing ovens lol.

If you use the oven cure what happens if you over or under mix cerakote and hardener.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use the oven cure what happens if you over or under mix cerakote and hardener. </div></div>

Within limits of course, it affects the sheen of flat finishes. More hardener gives a less flat appearance.

Some colors recommend different hardener ratios IIRC.

Ok thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use the oven cure what happens if you over or under mix cerakote and hardener. </div></div>

Within limits of course, it affects the sheen of flat finishes. More hardener gives a less flat appearance.

Some colors recommend different hardener ratios IIRC.

</div></div>

Not only just the hardener ratio makes you use more care with heat cured. The surface will stay wet until heat cured. This means that little things such as dust, dirt, flying insects etc have a chance to land on the paint as well as you bumping the object into something and causing a complete repeat of the process once you get it all cleaned back off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The surface will stay wet until heat cured. This means that little things such as dust, dirt, flying insects etc have a chance to land on the paint as well as you bumping the object into something and causing a complete repeat of the process once you get it all cleaned back off. </div></div>

Excellent points.
It does take quite a while for the H-Series to be dry enough without heat to keep things from sticking.

Thats good to know thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not only just the hardener ratio makes you use more care with heat cured. The surface will stay wet until heat cured. This means that little things such as dust, dirt, flying insects etc have a chance to land on the paint as well as you bumping the object into something and causing a complete repeat of the process once you get it all cleaned back off. </div></div>

The air cure is a great product in and of itself. It will withstand abuse pretty well. It is not as durable as the oven cured versions, but it is tougher than the air cured duracoat. It is a more expensive option since the materials cost is over twice that of duracoat.

yes, the same prep work is required by all coatings regardless.

ok thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The air cure is a great product in and of itself. It will withstand abuse pretty well. It is not as durable as the oven cured versions, but it is tougher than the air cured duracoat. It is a more expensive option since the materials cost is over twice that of duracoat. </div></div>

heat boxes of any size for firearm stuff are easy to make.

wood box lined with reflective foam insulation and a $10 harbor frieght heat gun.. cut holes it the top and cover/open them to regulate temp..

had one for years that still works fine.

you can heat cure the air dry also.

one trick we've used is to let the heat cure dry for a bit(up to an hour) before moving it to the heat box.. this eliminates any chance of skuffing it up when you hang it in the box.

it will dry to the touch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DVC Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Air cure usually has a glossy sheen, oven cure can be matted down or shined up depending on the part-b ratio. cerakoteguncoatings.com will have a lot more info for you.</div></div>
The major reason I started using heat cure Cerakote over Gunkote was the sheen issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DVC Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Air cure usually has a glossy sheen, oven cure can be matted down or shined up depending on the part-b ratio. cerakoteguncoatings.com will have a lot more info for you.</div></div>
The major reason I started using heat cure Cerakote over Gunkote was the sheen issue.
</div></div>

What do you do if you want to coat your scope the same color as your barrel and are unable to bake it? This is why I have been leaning towards an air dry products, such as the Duracoat or Cerakote.

I've used the air cure with good success it seems to be fairly durable and cost effective.

ok thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used the air cure with good success it seems to be fairly durable and cost effective. </div></div>

thats good to know I was wondering if there would be a difference.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve at LCC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used air cure on scope and oven cure on gun and could not tell difference in sheen or tone. </div></div>

The sheen of the oven cure will relate directly to the amount of hardener mixed into the color.

ok I thought so. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sheen of the oven cure will relate directly to the amount of hardener mixed into the color. </div></div>

A little off topic and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm working on a new bolt rifle and was thinking of Cerakoting it (done by professional). It's a 700 300 WM 5r with SS barrel. Does Cerakoting done right devalue the the gun?

Thanks

In my opinion I would say no I would want cerakote over the factory finish. cause it wont rust and looks better. But I dont know from a price point of view. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little off topic and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm working on a new bolt rifle and was thinking of Cerakoting it (done by professional). It's a 700 300 WM 5r with SS barrel. Does Cerakoting done right devalue the the gun?

Thanks </div></div>