• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote color match - "Classic" AI Green

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Does anyone have a color match or close Cerakote recipe for the classic AI Green, seen on legacy AW's and original AT's?

I'm working on color matching the other colors (Sage Green, Pale Brown, Dark Earth), but haven't started on the classic green yet. Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction!

1585764464291.png

Thanks,

Sam

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    You might look at the new color squatch green.
    Might have to darken it some.
    Thanks.

The ones that look close, at least on the website, are:
    H-316 Squatch
    H-400 JJ Eastern Front
    H-200 Highland

Does anyone have a color match or close Cerakote recipe for the classic AI Green, seen on legacy AW's and original AT's?

I'm working on color matching the other colors (Sage Green, Pale Brown, Dark Earth), but haven't started on the classic green yet. Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction!

View attachment 7287640

Thanks,

Sam
    I like that color!

I don't know the match for the Classic AI green, but I do have a very good idea what the current one is. There used to be a color H-205 called APA Sage that they offered. I believe Jared Joplin of American Precision Arms came up with it. Anyway about the time AI started offering their new Sage Green this color disappeared from the Cerakote website. I inquired why it was discontinued and they said it was not, it was just now only available in 10 gallon quantities. Basically available only in a quantity that a manufacturer would purchase. :unsure: ?:geek:

I don't know the match for the Classic AI green, but I do have a very good idea what the current one is. There used to be a color H-205 called APA Sage that they offered. I believe Jared Joplin of American Precision Arms came up with it. Anyway about the time AI started offering their new Sage Green this color disappeared from the Cerakote website. I inquired why it was discontinued and they said it was not, it was just now only available in 10 gallon quantities. Basically available only in a quantity that a manufacturer would purchase. :unsure: ?:geek:
    I've heard the same thing as well for the H-205 and current Sage Green. Can't get it though, at least not in regular sizes like you said. A google search doesn't bring up much, and the ones labeled H-205 aren't a very convincing color match.

I did a barrel for an AI AW the other week. 60% Milspec OD green, 40% coyote Tan. Came out amazingly close. I have squanch green and a bunch of others, I found this mix to satisfy the customer.

Reactions: samb300
    Many years ago I sent the plastic handgaurd piece off my AX to the Cerakote dealer here. They returned it with a swatch that matched 100%. I believe the colour was called 'Foliage Green'. I just checked, the Cerakote website doesn't list this colour anymore.
    Only way to be certain it to send in a small part etc. for them to match.

20170317_173436.jpg

I've heard the same thing as well for the H-205 and current Sage Green. Can't get it though, at least not in regular sizes like you said. A google search doesn't bring up much, and the ones labeled H-205 aren't a very convincing color match.

Green is a VERY challenging color to photograph and be representative of what you would see in person. The top pic is obviously a professional job in a whitebox, the below is my rifle. I've had my rifle in APA Sage beside a Sage green AI in person and they actually are quite close.

1585865046052.png

1585866585531.png

Many years ago I sent the plastic handgaurd piece off my AX to the Cerakote dealer here. They returned it with a swatch that matched 100%. I believe the colour was called 'Foliage Green'. I just checked, the Cerakote website doesn't list this colour anymore.
    Only way to be certain it to send in a small part etc. for them to match.

View attachment 7288776
    Thanks! Unfortunately the newest AI colors are all proprietary and Cerakote has very tight lips on what the recipe might be. I’m hoping the classic green will be easier than the others. Even the Dark Earth is tough because H-250 “AI Dark Earth” is way too dark to match the plastic dark earth skins.

Green is a VERY challenging color to photograph and be representative of what you would see in person. The top pic is obviously a professional job in a whitebox, the below is my rifle. I've had my rifle in APA Sage beside a Sage green AI in person and they actually are quite close.

View attachment 7288746
    View attachment 7288791
    Interesting. Yes, green is really tough to capture, especially in grass or other foliage as the background.

I’ll buy 1/2 gallon if someone else is willing to buy the other 9 1/2 gallons of the APA Sage haha

Reactions: bunsen27
    I have foliage Green, I didn't see it as the best match (in my specific example).