• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote tips

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
Im about to do a pistol and my rifle. Does anyone have any tips for me? Ill be using air and oven cure. Thanks

Re: Cerakote tips

What is the best way to prep a barrel I do not have a sandblaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to prep a barrel I do not have a sandblaster.</div></div>
Get one or have it done by some one.
It is a very important part of the process to achieve good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im about to do a pistol and my rifle. Does anyone have any tips for me? Ill be using air and oven cure. Thanks </div></div>

Get someone else to do it. Lol

But seriously you need to leach the action and blast with 100 or 120 AO. Make sure to plug crown and chamber with dowells. Use a action screw to hang while spraying and curing.
As far as the pistol make sure to plug the firing pin tube.

+1 on prep and blasting...very, very important. As far as spraying....practice practice practice before you get going on a gun. Each gun is different and you need to know how your guns sprays and how to adjust all the settings. Don't spray at a high PSI and have the flow and fan adjusted. Small overlapping strokes....

I have glass beads in my blasting cabinet. Why is the aluminum oxide better blast media? I am planning on Cerakoting several guns and want to do it right the first time...

glass beads peen the metal, they don't give it "tooth", A/O cuts the metal giving it the tooth it needs for the finish to adhere

make sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glass beads peen the metal, they don't give it "tooth", A/O cuts the metal giving it the tooth it needs for the finish to adhere

make sense? </div></div>
True statement. It needs a tooth to hang onto

I guess I have another question as well. I see Jason C. mentioning "leaching" the action. What chemical is used to accomplish that?

Check your email, I sent you a Cerakote Manual. Read it before you do anything.

Thank you to everyone...I really appreciate the help. I have several guns apart and had glass beaded them. I will get the A/O and prepare the metal correctly. Thanks for the manual, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedDog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 70 grit A/O to course? I just bought a cabinet and a jug of 70 grit?????</div></div>

You can get by with 70 and the finish will look the same... but it won't be as durable. The peaks and valleys from the 70 grit will make the finish slightly thinner on the peaks. I've only had a problem one time. The Cerakote will stick like mad but the finish durability won't be as representative of what it's capable of. If you're hosing off some guns for carry or hunting, you'll be fine. If folks are paying you for a job they're expecting to be to wear like a pigs snout, go get some 100-120.