• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing chamber reaming cutting oil?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
I read that high sulfur cutting oils will dull reamers when used on stainless, is that right?
what are yall using?

Re: chamber reaming cutting oil?

I have two coolants. High sulpher based cutting oil is one I either squirt on or brush on. I get it from a local oil distributer in 5 gallon cans. The other is a "Mist-Air" spray setup. It uses a water soluable type of coolant. I can't remember the name. But both have their own place and application. Try visiting your locqal machine or tool & die
shop and see what they say. They can also give you some insight about what distributer carries what oils.

Good luck in your choice.

I have been using Rustlick 255 R for chambering. It gives me super smooth and clean chambers. Its a water mixed coolant/cutting fluid that I use in a chamber flushing system.

I use a high sulpher cutting oil and flood the chamber/reamer. The water based coolants will dull a reamer quicker than an oil based coolant. Try the Mobil Met Omega with ATF mixed in, they say it's the Shiznit.

Good luck finding Mobilmet Omega in less than a 55 gal. drum. I just ordered 5 gallons and was sent Mobilmet 766, it replacement. Don't know if I am going to use the 766 or not. Anyone used it or know anything about it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using Rustlick 255 R for chambering. It gives me super smooth and clean chambers. Its a water mixed coolant/cutting fluid that I use in a chamber flushing system. </div></div>

Please notice that I'm talking 20 years ago. I'm sure things have probably changed. But the shop I was working in at the time used Rustlick (don't know the number or series) and everyone in that shop that used it broke out with a skin disorder and it took six months of antibiotics to get rid of it. Since then I don't touch anything that says Rustlick on it. Try placing some in a shallow pan and leave it over the weekend. Check it and see if it feels like it has a grit like sand or sugar in a crust.

I hope what you have isn't the same stuff.

I like Castrol MolyDee when NOT using a fluid flush setup , at work they buy the Rustlick or whatever and its ok but the Moly Dee is hands down better for harder metals.

I conned a sales rep out of some TapMagic extra thick and its working realy well also especialy on harder metals like Monel and Hastalloy and it doesn't smell nearly as bad as alot of other stuff.