• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Check out this brand new Remington 700's recoil lug

insight3b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2007
TN
Brand new from the factory remington 700 VLS...must have been the last one built on payday before a long weekend
Remington700Recoillug005_zps84e90061.jpg

Remington700Recoillug001_zpsec6d104c.jpg

Action screws installed to show just how off-kilter the recoil lug is misaligned

Last edited:
My varmint is the same way. Iv been so busy with work I have not had time to call them. Let me know what they say if you talk to remington

It was an easy enough fix. Very disappointing on a brand new rifle.

Looks like Remington is trying to make their guns more attractive to the gangsters who hold their gats sideways and throw bullets.

Excellent factory workmanship! That is embarrassing at best. NO QC. Slap it together and box it. Problem could be eliminated by pinning for nearly no $ as a step in assembly.

Mike

Unbelievable - I'm surprised it would even bolt up in the stock?

Yes I just unscrewed the action and realigned. The surprising part is that the severe misalignment wasn't noticable until I removed it from the stock. THe bbl rode to the left inside the bbl channel when locked into the stock. When I loosened the action screws the action popped up...very disappointed in Remington

It's refreshing to know that we have so many people, on this site, that are perfect and never make a mistake. It is also refreshing to see someone who can fix the problem without all the whining.

I agree with what you said, but.....what if you did
not have a barrel vise and action wrench? That would suck.

I have used a big chunk of aluminum .I have A 1" x 2" x 8" piece and smack the bottom corner of the lug in the direction you want it to go this works most of the time on newer guns you do have to hit it pretty hard if you don't have scope and mounts on it wont hurt a thing

Excellent factory workmanship! That is embarrassing at best. NO QC. Slap it together and box it. Problem could be eliminated by pinning for nearly no $ as a step in assembly.

Mike

You have to remember that this is the same REMINGTON that refused to make a 25 CENT change to a trigger that the designer of the trigger said was absolutely necessary in order to be safe...that his original design had a flaw...a flaw that has resulted in more than a few deaths and lots of injuries in accidental discharges...he was told to shut up and they simply paid the wrongful death suits as they pop'd up...it was far cheaper to pay millions in court than recall all the millions of M700's to replace all the triggers...yeah...that Remington...

It's refreshing to know that we have so many people, on this site, that are perfect and never make a mistake. It is also refreshing to see someone who can fix the problem without all the whining.
My biggest concern would be: What else did they do that you can't see, or fix as easily? It isn't strange to assume if they made this big a mistake, one you could easily see, that there is a fair chance there were others, just saying.

Yesterday I looked at a new rem 700 at gander mountain that had the bolt handle installed so far back that it would've had no primary extraction. Price tag was $850.

Typical of most business models today. If they can sell every one they make, why bother improving the product, or even meeting minimum standards.

I've had my bad experiences with 700s, the reason why my last two builds are on aftermarket actions. If I were to buy an off the shelf rifle nowdays, it would likely be a Savage.

I dont always choose quality, but when I do I choose Hi-point

How right you are! I can't imagine someone buying a new rifle, and after finding some really poooooor QC, having the nerve to -complain! They should just fix it themsleves (refreshing) and be happy. I'm sure, via your post, that no matter what is wrong with your purchases, guns, cars, etc. you don't "whine" you just fix it-good for you, you're great. I'm not as great as you, when I buy something new, I expect to get what I paid for, but hey that's just me. Some mistakes aren't just one persons, but had to be followed up by other persons "looking the other way, or not doing the job they are being paid for", in any case it not a matter of "never making a mistake", but rather, several people knowing it was wrong --allowing it go out the door anyway. As long as You are the customer then it will all worked out for them, the problem is the next guy gets the same crap-because the last guy didn't complain. Getting a dollars worth for a dollar spent, unique idea? It's 'kinda like' giving your employer a 'honest days work' for an 'honest days pay', again becoming a unique idea with toooo many these days.

Last edited:
In my defense I did consider contacting Remington but was reminded that since I installed a Jewell trigger I voided the warranty so I was stuck between fixing it myself or dealing with it.

It's the new generation of employees......just put in your time, and get a paycheck......

In my defense I did consider contacting Remington but was reminded that since I installed a Jewell trigger I voided the warranty so I was stuck between fixing it myself or dealing with it.

Thats true if you alter it in any way they will blame it on you anyway.

I've got a mod 7 that the axis of the action screw threads and scope base threads are off by about 5-7 degrees.

There are countless threads here about Remingtons lack of QC. But there are also as many threads of fan boys talking up the classic 700. It sucks you got a crappy stick, but I've got nothing good the last 3 times I bought Remington anything. My 870 jams when I use a very common type of ammo, and I've had ammo with out primers. Lesson learned, I just stopped buying Remington.

There are countless threads here about Remingtons lack of QC. But there are also as many threads of fan boys talking up the classic 700. It sucks you got a crappy stick, but I've got nothing good the last 3 times I bought Remington anything. My 870 jams when I use a very common type of ammo, and I've had ammo with out primers. Lesson learned, I just stopped buying Remington.

One of the problems is that they're so pervasive. The accessories available for the 700 are amazing. The 700 is the AR15 of the bolt action world. It's hard not to buy Remington if you can't afford $3000 for a rifle.

this guy actually says he works on rifles. maybe we should send him some work.

Just pulled my 700 ADL Varmint apart and saw this. Not quite as bad as the OP's, but bothersome nonetheless.

2013-03-28_19-51-59_745_zps33b9536f.jpg

Sent from my phone that thinks it is smarter than I am. Please ignore any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.

Its such an easy fix and easier to prevent during initial assembly...no reason for it

I have been very disapointed with the last few new remingtons I have seen. I asked a friend about this and he told me that one of the head so and so's from Remington told him that they were happy if their rifles shot 2MOA out of the box!!!!! yea that good..........

My biggest concern would be: What else did they do that you can't see, or fix as easily? It isn't strange to assume if they made this big a mistake, one you could easily see, that there is a fair chance there were others, just saying.

To me a VERY LARGE concern would be that Remington's attitude is such that they allowed something like this through QC and out the door. It appears to me that their standards are either VERY LOW or someone in QC needs some additional training or maybe a good "COUNSELLING". COME ON MAN....I don't expect everyone to be perfect all the time in everything they do....hey...I did have a not-so-great landing a time or two in my thirty++ aviation career, but at least I hit the airport every time!!

There are a lot of things where "good enough" really does fall far below what is acceptable and, sadly, Remington's rifle QC seems to be one of them. The main problem seems to be that (1) They really do not care about having a good reputation. But then (sadly); (2) Maybe their standards are actually acceptable generally in our society today; (3) Remington only REALLY cares about making a buck (and I agree that a person has to put bread on the table) and they do NOT really care about either building a TRULY good product as long as what they sell actually does sell...... I guess that is one reason I, personally, view the Remmy actions I use as basically just a decent starting point for a build. Yeah, yeah...I've heard all the conversation about just buying a Stiller or something like that from the git-go....!

Last edited:
Would probably be a great idea DocEd is a well respect accuracy smith.

I don't care if he's the best smith in the world, if he expects people to fix the manufacturer's problems, what's to say he wouldn't expect the same of a customer if/when he made a mistake? I have dealt with a lot of manufacturers over the years between car parts and gun parts, everyone makes mistakes. How they handle a problem is what separates the good ones from the bad ones.

To me a VERY LARGE concern would be that Remington's attitude is such that they allowed something like this through QC and out the door.

Remington does not have a "QC" problem, they have a problem with making mistakes. Simply trying to catch more of those mistakes before they leave the building is not the solution; they need to stop making them during the manufacturing process, instead of us heaping blame on whomever it was who last touched the rifle.