• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Riser/Cheek Weld Woes

Burkes the Nailer

How are ya, now?
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Middle Georgia
Well, I'm brand spankin' new to this site. Might say I'm still wiping packing grease off. Anyway, I've pillaged this site looking for help and I've found some great advice, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308(anything else would be considered treason among my friends) along with a good starter glass. It shoots like a dream and is everything I hoped it would be. But, as we all know there is always at least ONE negative. When I drop in behind it and get a proper cheek weld while in the prone position (bipod+rear sandbag) and open my eyes I find myself in a rough staring contest with the back of my bolt. In order to even see through my scope I nearly have to set my chin on top of the stock. I must have a tiny head or something...I regress. I know there are tons of aftermarket goodies and gadgets I can bolt, screw, or strap on my stock, but I'm anal retentive and have a few other needs I want to address along with my primary problem. I also want a shell holder/cheek pad w/ a zippered compartment I can keep small tools and DOPE cards in. I've seen the Karsten risers but I'm concerned I couldn't affix a the zippered shell holder. I'm not beyond stock replacements, but I'm also not made of Money. Any help, advice, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticizm is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Re: Cheek Riser/Cheek Weld Woes

unless you are running a massive scope, it sounds like your are running very tall rings. You can add layers of foam to you stock until you find the right height under your stock pack. I never had that problem with mine but I ran as short of rings as I could with mine. check the amount of space under the front of your scope and see if you have room to come down. This will also be advantageous when calculating ballistics and scope adjustment. Jeff............

Thank you both. My rings are 1" Blackhawk! and are pretty low so I don't believe that is my issue. I was planning on buying the foam pads and fiddling with it later, but I wasn't about to pass up any wisdom I might find here. Again, thank you both.

It's not your rings, I have the same issue. That cheek riser suggested above looks perfect for you.

What I did was get a cheek pad with 5 shell holders and a zipper that was held on with a thick string, and then I stuffed 4 socks and 3 strips of cardboard under it until it was tall enough for me. I have since done away with that stock so I can send you a picture of my rig for reference. It's kind of sketchy looking but it is very functional and comfortable.

Personally, I'd probably go with that riser mentioned above. Cheek weld is very important!

What scope do you have in those 1" rings? If you have less than a 56mm obj, you may be able to go down in ring height.

For a check pad, these get a few favorable reviews here on SH:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html
IMG_0076.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a check pad, these get a few favorable reviews here on SH:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html
IMG_0076.jpg
</div></div>
I think that cheek pad would work great! It looks exactly like what I had pictured in my mind. If it isn't high enough for my taste I can just slip a few foam pads under it. Anything would look better than the Gorrilla tape/Foam monster I have on my rifle presently.

Have the action bedded into an HS precision tactical stock with one of those triad packs on it.

This will be more consistent all around, especially when loading a bipod, the stock stock on that rifle is flimsy at best.

One more thing that you should consider before investing much in a pad is the possibility of changing your stock.

The one that comes on your rifle is not a very impressive option and you can easily upgrade to one that will not only do a much better job of free floating your barrel, but could also have adjustable cheek risers as well. The reason you ought to consider this is because there's not much need to buy a cheek rest if you will be spending even more to upgrade the whole system soon anyway!

But if you don't want to upgrade the stock, ignore all of that paragraph lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have the action bedded into an HS precision tactical stock with one of those triad packs on it.
</div></div>

Yeah, that's not going to happen. I quickly run short of both patience and money. I would love to have an HS, but I'm trying to do this on a budget. I've extended the aluminium pillars to gain clearance in the foregrip of the stock, so it is indeed a free-floated barrel(even with a bipod).
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The beauty of the this stock pack is it comes with strips that are placed under it to raise the comb height if needed.</div></div>

I just read that online, so that is a ++.

Ok, I'm gonna go with the Triad Tactical Cheek Pack for all my line of sight/cheek weld needs. And since UIUCPPQ and calling4life both mentioned stocks, what are you're opinions on stocks for this rifle? The factory stock is shite, no two ways about that. But I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a stock that costs as much as the gun did. I love the HS Precision(calling4life, it's like you were reading my mind) but the B&C's are nearly half the price!!! Any suggestions would be met with appreciation, as all comments have thus far.!!

you raised the pillars to gain extra clearance in the barrel channel? I have never heard of doing that, and it would seem to diminish your accuracy potential, by reducing your actions contact with its support system. Good luck with that, I would think you will need to bed that action for sure to get anything out of that rifle.

That looks great MikeP.!! Definitely will be thinking of that when I make a more permanent cheek riser once i get my final stock. Thank you for sharing.!

Well I went all out and threw my SPS into a chassis because I knew that in the end I wouldn't rest until my rifle had a DBM, adjustable LOP and cheek piece, and a solid free float.

I got the AICS and I'm as pleased as can be. Although if you're looking to make this rifle budget oriented and keep it that way, I'd consider the B&C Medalist as shown here:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail
I believe it starts at about $400. Again that is definitely not the most budget minded stock option, but just like anything else it's important to consider what you need when shopping. Solid aluminum construction and adjustments make this a good choice. I'd just recommend you think about everything you want on your rifle before you decide on what to buy because those Chassis while expensive may have more with them than originally anticipated; DMB addons are usually at least $300 themselves!

Stock-wise I've been looking at a HS precision stock. But the medalist is definitely still in the picture . Any other recommendations?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oklahoma-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'm gonna go with the Triad Tactical Cheek Pack for all my line of sight/cheek weld needs. And since UIUCPPQ and calling4life both mentioned stocks, what are you're opinions on stocks for this rifle? The factory stock is shite, no two ways about that. But I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a stock that costs as much as the gun did. I love the HS Precision(calling4life, it's like you were reading my mind) but the B&C's are nearly half the price!!! Any suggestions would be met with appreciation, as all comments have thus far.!!

</div></div>

I'm pretty sure that mine is in a BC, and I've had no problems with it. The gun shoots at least as accurately as I do, so the stock can't be doing anything negative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oklahoma-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stock-wise I've been looking at a HS precision stock. But the medalist is definitely still in the picture . Any other recommendations? </div></div>

I know its a chunk of change, but I'd recommend saving for an AICIS or Manners with a Mini-Chassis. Either of these can be had with an adjustable comb and LOP. You'll also have the ability to use Accuracy International detachable magazines with no additional bottom metal necessary.

I'd make due with what I have until I figured out the one I really wanted and, as they say, "buy once, cry once."

It's just my personal taste, but I strongly dislike the chassis systems. I'm sorry, and feel free to throw rocks at me but I can't get past it. I like the traditional look of the M40-looking stocks, but I think the vertical grips and palm swells would suit me well. And since I live in the middle of nowhere, I can't exactly test each stock out to see what works..Any ideas, fellas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burkes the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just my personal taste, but I strongly dislike the chassis systems. I'm sorry, and feel free to throw rocks at me but I can't get past it. I like the traditional look of the M40-looking stocks, but I think the vertical grips and palm swells would suit me well. And since I live in the middle of nowhere, I can't exactly test each stock out to see what works..Any ideas, fellas? </div></div>

The Manners mini-chassis works in a traditional stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longbowmech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That triad stock pack looks pretty nice! I might have to pick one of those up.

</div></div>

That's what I'm screamin'

+1 triad stock pack (but the one without the bag/ammo holder)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 triad stock pack (but the one without the bag/ammo holder) </div></div>
I just got one of these and it's great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harrydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 triad stock pack (but the one without the bag/ammo holder) </div></div>
I just got one of these and it's great.</div></div>

Why? I was looking at the one with the ammo holder and pouch. What made you want the one without? Thanks.!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burkes the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harrydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 triad stock pack (but the one without the bag/ammo holder) </div></div>
I just got one of these and it's great.</div></div>

Why? I was looking at the one with the ammo holder and pouch. What made you want the one without? Thanks.! </div></div>
I just didn't think I would really utilize the pouch when I'm at the range and I think the one without looks a little cleaner or less cluttered.
I still may get one with the pouch though. There are times when I would probably use it, like if I have to carry my rifle and gear any significant distance.
They're both the same as far as the cheek weld goes so I'm pretty confident that you'll like it.

Thanks for the quick response.! I plan to hunt with my rifle so i think the pack with shell holders will benefit me greatly. Again, thank you.!

Yeah if you hunt the pouch sure wont bother you. I don't use the external shell holders but I keep a dope card in the pouch, it will hold a plastic sleeve of 10 rds of ammo or a spare 5 round mag also.