• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chinese AK expert ID help

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
any AK experts here? this refers to the gun that i had questions about earlier. for starters,i had a senior moment and IDed it as milled. it is stamped. maybe the thicker chinese metal threw me off. it is marked poly tech and is a "circle 386" marked gun. will check serial mon and see if i can determine a manufacture date. have looked on line and can find little re polytech stamped guns. in truth i didn't know that there were polytech stamped guns. for some reason i thought all poly marked guns were milled. not this one. it has a side folding stock and orange plastic furniture,including folder's side panels. the folder and all the furniture appear to be original from the factory for the gun. my idea of it's bargin status has slide a bit since i now recognize that it is not a milled gun. any input? thanks.

Re: chinese AK expert ID help

Norinco/Polytech 386.

I am not an AK expert, I just googled "china polytech 386"

Greg

yes,i know what it is. but does anyone have hands on with poly stamped gun (which i didn't know they made) as opposed to the milled guns with which i am more familiar? some of the stamped chinese guns are IMHO at least badly over rated due to,i am sure,all the clinton crap that went on making them more exotic for being banned. have always felt the legends were excellent. questioning the quality of poly stamped gun,about which i know nothing. gun looks high quality at least.

I had one. It always went BANG when I pulled the trigger. Not the best AK around but, also not the worst. I used it for hog hunting and it was accurate enough for that.

I had the Poly Tech with the full stock and the folding bayonet. It was my favorite of the Poly Tech line 2nd only to the Poly Tech Legend. Much better made than the Norinco made Chinese AK's.

Polytec made lots of stamped Kalashnikov rifles. The legend series were milled variants. If you want to know more, there is a new book released I think last year called (AK-47). It's about $50, but it's the most thorough book on the Kalashnikov line I've ever seen. Every ak lover should own this book.
smile.gif

I have 2 polytech stamped guns both are great very good triggers. Incase your not happy with being a milled. I would be interested in buy that one off you. Pm me if your interested selling it

The side-folder on yours is an uncommon variant, though I've mostly seen them with reddish-brown or almost salmon-pink furniture instead of orange. Anything's possible with the Chinese, though. They lock up solid and are much more comfortable to shoot than an under-folding stock. Definitely hang on to it, or do a little research on what it's worth if you decide to sell it. Prices for Chinese AKs are silly right now, and sell for much higher than just a few years ago. Funny how Chinese AKs used to be considered the lowest rung of AK variant.

EDIT: If the serial number has a PW-prefix in front of it, and numbers starting with an 8, then this is how to tell when it was made. My old 'spiker' had a PW85 prefix, which tols me that it was made in 1985.

I have a stamped poly and bulgarian milled. I like the stamped better. A little more room in the mag well (faster mag changes). Stamped poly has thicker metal in the receiver than soviet stamped. I have not seen the side folder. I do not know what you paid.....but you have a quality shooter. Lots of info on the web on these.

Jim