• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choice between a rock and a hard place

Strive4More

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Crestview, FL
Just getting into reloading. I know HORRIBLE timing. I have been reading my ass off for a bit now and have been learning a ton. I will be reloading for a .308 20" 1:10 Surgeon Scapel. Rifle will be the daily go to for long range and used to get into reloading. I live 20 minutes from K&M and thus am able to shoot to a grand regularly. I am looking to shoot 175 SMKs and possibly the Berger 185 Juggernaut OTMs. Already have some Lapua brass on the way. Im scouring the Earth for some Federal 210M, like half the country. My question comes to which powder to use other than Varget, as it is in stock NOWHERE. My choices right now are between N150, Pro 2000-MR, BLC(2), and 4350. Or should I hold on and wait for Varget to magically appear. I am really interested in the Juggernauts so any info from those with experience with that bullet is greatly appreciated.

First, I don't shoot .308, only 30.06 and 338LM. But, I have used RL-19, H4350, BL-(C)2 and maybe a couple others in there quite effectively. I am not sure that the RL-19 is that good in a 20," as mine is 24"---might be a little short to use all the powder???? I don't think I'd be too slow to try them if you can get good data on them for the .308. At lease you could get shooting sooner, primers permitting. I like to try other powders too, just in case you hit times like these, then you know you can keep shooting with what you can get.

A buddy Im trying to get into long range is a big 30-06 shooter so I may be able to offset costs by rolling something up for him. The BLC(2) and pro 2000-MR are the ones I'm leaning towards. May pickup am 8# jug of each and see what I get.

I vote for 2000MR for heavy bullets 175gr, 178 Amax, and 190 SMK. My groups have been overall better with 2000MR than with Varget. Another great choice is Reloader 15. My loads for the 175 SMK is 47.5gr of 2000MR or 47gr with the 190's. I have a Remington 5R with the 1:11.25 and a Savage FCP-SR in 1:10 twist and both shoot these loads under 1/2". One great thing with 2000MR is that it's a ball powder and meters like water. Far better than R15, Varget, or 4064 in that respect and it's pretty temp stable.

Looks like ill see if I can get that 2000 then! Thanks guys

The 2000MR is good stuff with the heavies! My load for it in 308 is 47g under a 178g Amax and shoots great, better than any of my varget loads with the 178's.

Yep I shot same 178 AMAX load but with 46.8 gr cfe223. 1 in 10 twist 16" it is sub MOA 100 yards, gass gun .308. It's great for more velocity over Varget or whatever and 2550 average fps 60F. Clean properties, faster & easier to clean everything. No high pressure signs 60F, CCI BR2, Remington #9 1/2.

I have used h4895 with great success in the .308 h4350 is a great powder in my 6.5 creedmoor and might work well in .308 but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

Just got 8 lbs of 2000-mr shipped for $200

Cool!! Now just be careful and start kinda low at first with your tests. I use CFE 223 under the 178 AMAX in my .308 and that stuff is supposed to be the same as 2000MR. It IS NOT temp insensitive IMO, so far that is what I think about it. Summer is around corner and I will need to make sure the load I came up with with the CFE and 178 AMAX is ok in those temps. I worked up that load in the winter. 46.8 gr cfe223, 178 AMAX in Hornady brass .308

But anyway if the 2000mr is indeed same as cfe223 then you will probably like it. Seems like everybody here at SH who has tried these powders do like it.

$200 though? I hope that included the shipping and hazmat fee, if you ordered it online from someplace.

Last edited:
Yeah it was $160 for the powder and the rest was shipping and hazmat. Not too bad. I glad to get a decent stockpile to start with so no complaints there. Now I just need primers....

I believe the go to powders generally are varget, reloader 15, and IMR 4064.