• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Choosing Between a NF 2.5-10x32 and USO ST-10

rchman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, California, CA
Hi all,

Although there are a few fixed power threads on here, I didn't feel like hijacking them. I'd like help choosing between a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and a USO ST-10 with a mil-dot reticle and EREK knobs.

This is going to go on a 11lb Krieger barreled AR10, so this rifle will primarily be a range toy (100 yard paper, 200-600 steel). I've considered a lot of other options, but I'm at the point where I want a scope that is without a doubt an awesome piece of glass and machinery. I've been disappointed with some of the other budget recommendations (Vortex PST being chief among them) so I really want something that is known to be unequivocally an excellent scope.

One of my deciding points is: what's it like shooting behind the two for extended periods of time (will the USO be more forgiving/enjoyable to shoot)?

I don't care about giving up variable power, since when I'm at the range, I never go below 10x. Don't need illumination.

The only reason I'm considering the NF is because a) I've always wanted that scope and b) with my history of buying and selling rifles, that NF is something that I can put on any rifle (be it an AR15 or light AR10 build).

I feel like the USO might be in a tier above NF and the ST-10 can meet my needs with the same budget of the NF.

What are your guys's thoughts on this? Any input from people that have used both?

I've owned a few NF's. I haven't owned a US Optics. NF puts out a solid product. In this case I just couldn't imagine giving up variable power for fixed. The NF is much more versatile and would be at home on a wide variety of rifles. I'd go with the NF for sure.

I have an ST-10 that is my "mule", it is my scope I switch around to rifles that don't have optics or used as a loaner. It was used by a buddy in a match last weekend with ranges from 115-615 yards and he said he didn't feel at all under/over scoped at all. For the money I don't think the ST-10 can be beat, the glass is good, the clicks are perfect and the erek knob is just awesome IMHO.

I had a 8-32x56 NF for a while and the glass was nice, forgiving to shoot but the SFP was a deal breaker for me.

Between the 32mm and the 50mm NXS, at 10x the 32mm has an exit pupil of 3.2, vs 5.0 for the 50mm at 10x, and it is noticeable to my wavering eye and lazy cheek.
If the USO was a fixed 10x 44mm ERGO, i would choose that over the SFP 32mm nxs, since you plan only to shoot paper and static steel with a range toy.
But if size and low mount are reasons for 32mm, also take a look at the FFP 2.5-10x32mm Vortex PST as well--word here is good glass, parallax, and FFP, all for far less than the NF... never seen one, but wish i had! Since you really want a NF, and i don't blame you, consider an F1, maybe a used one, or wait for the 2.5-10x42 coming out soon?
Bueno Luck!

Thanks for the input. I've head a lot of good things about the compact Vortex too, but based on my experience with the 6-24 and the 2.5-10 which everyone raved about, I'm not willing to buy one of those unless I get to use one first. I really want to stop dicking around with buying cheaper scopes (sub $1000) and want to buy a scope that is understood to be one of the best you can buy.

I guess my question would be: hypothetically, if the NF was a fixed 10x32. Which would people choose? Is the USO going to be a noticeable step up or more pleasureable to shoot?

I had a 2.3-10 vortex for a little while, good bang for the buck but not really in the same league as the USO, Im sure Ill be flamed but this was my experience.

FWIW- for a compact, cheaper (less than 1400ish) scope, the USO ST-10 is hard to beat if the fixed power doesnt bother you

Sorry I can't address that hypo, but it's no surprise that NF makes no fixed mag scopes.
Have you read the sticky up top on choosing optics by trigger monkey--i believe it discusses the 32 and 50 NF as well...
I can't say what pleasures you, lol, but I'll bet you will be happier with a 5.0 exit pupil at 10x for the limited stated purposes of your rifle!

Can the ST-10 be had with bigger than a 30 something objective. I want one and see that the 44mm option is gone. I am too late and have wanted this for a long time. I have 50mm NF and Leupold. The ST-10 x 44 is just what my heavy 223 needs. Variable changes everything.

I ended up purchasing the ST-10 with built in eyepiece level and EREK knobs for a little over a grand into it since I got the discount on a gift certificate. Between the 9 mils per turn and expectation that I'm getting the quality of a $2K optic for a lot less, I think it will fit this rifle really well and set the bar for a high end optic. I'll probably pick up the NF 2.5-10x anyway for my ar15 so I'll have something to compare it to, but everything I've read, the USOs are a step up from NF.

Do yourself a favor and wait until the nightforce 2.5-10x42 is released next month. That is bound to be a great scope. I have owned many night force optics and they never disappoint.

Uso has a big following here, but I have owned more than a few and sold all of them. They are most definitely not a step up. At the risk of offending some people, it is my strong belief that they are overrated, gimmicky and not reliable.

Another solid option is the Leupold 3.5-10x42 which is now available mil/mil. I bought an older one for $600 and had Leupold upgrade to mil turrets for $100, I couldn't be any happier with it.

Last edited: