• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Choosing the right hunting scope

Former Recon Scout Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Fargo, ND
I want to see what kind of ideas you fellas come up with for my new favorite hunting rifle.

I picked up a FNH SPR .308 about 8 years ago just as I was getting out of the Marine Corps. I bought it from a fellow marine who only put 20 rounds through it. His father was diagnosed with cancer and only had a few months to live. He needed the money to buy sister 45-70s for he and his father for one last hunting trip. When his father passed, he was going to give his father's 45-70 to his son. (touching story) He gave me a great deal on the rifle.

I want to put a scope on it worthy of the gun. I would like to be able to shoot long distance (over 500 yards and up to 1000 yards) as well as short distance (50-100 yards) for all kinds of hunting. I would like to be able to make quick dope adjustments for rapid engagements if necessary. I prefer a mil dot reticle. I am open to fixed versus variable power scopes.

I hand load my own ammunition and have fallen in love with the accubond for the hunting I do.

My budget is $1000 or less.

What are your thoughts? All comments will be considered.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Happy Thanksgiving and Semper Fi!

Re: Choosing the right hunting scope

Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32 mil/mil, you've got exposed turrets and great glass. I'm just north of you, I use the 8-32 on my rig, coyote killer for sure.
If you aren't a power nut like me, the weaver tactical 3-15 may be perfect for you.

Both meet your budget requirements.

Sign up for or at least keep an eye out for SWFA's Black Friday - Cyber Monday sale. You may be able to get a SS5-20 non. illuminated for around your budget. Hopefully they'll be on sale for under $1000.

If a 3-9 variable works - the SS 3-9 may be on sale too. You can also find these on the SWFA sample list for $499 quite often. I'm running the Mil-Quad version on my AR. Used it for deer hunting up in N.Dak. this fall and it worked well. Am considering another 3-9 or maybe a 5-20 for my bolt gun - depending on this weekends sales.

Of your $1000.00 budget, does that cover just the scope, or do you need a mount/rings + scope for $1000.00?

Bang for your buck wise, you'll be hard pressed to get a better value for your $'s if you go with the SS scopes from SWFA. Reason being they are the only one's who sell them. They are designed and built just for them, which means no middle man. Most folks will concur that SS scopes are overbuilt and stand up quite well. If you can find a model that fits your needs, that is where I would look first. If you have other desires in a scope that the SS doesn't offer, then look elsewhere.

A Bushnell Tactical Elite 3-12x44 might be right up your alley.
Weaver has a 3-15x50 in the same price range. Both are FFP although the latter is offered in mil/moa as well as mil/mil so be careful of which you buy.
Finally theres the Vortex PST 4-16x50. Which looks the best, feature wise, but I hear the Bushnell has better glass. It does have the nicest reticle though.

In the end I went with the Bushnell myself. It just shipped out today so I hope to get it soon.
I would have concidered the other more, if they didn't have the large 50mm objectives (I wanted to mount it as low as possible) and if they were available at a webshop that also exported, but neither was the case for the other two scopes.
I ended up getting it at www.theriflescopestore.com with some Warne Maxima QD rings.

I don't like a FFp for hunting. That being said I also like to operate in mils. But any way I bought a vortex hs 4-16 sfp with 1/2 moa knobs. It is almost the perfect hunting scope. 24 moa of vert adj in one rev. Zero stop, 1/2 moa knobs. Balistic reticle lifetime warranty. ABout 500 for the 40 mm version repeatable tracking. The only problem I have with this scope is that it is in moa. If it tracked in mils it would be perfect for hunting for me. For others that operate in moa it is already almost perfect. My 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.
T

I like ffp scopes and don't plan on buying another scope without it

for $1000 I'd try to find a used leupold mk 4 ffp in the highest magnification you can get

even better would be to scrape up $500 more and find a used nightforce 3-15 ffp. I did just that last year and don't regret it a bit.

Congrats on owning such a fine rifle.

Hunting scope, fixed power? Pretty sure you can still get a 6x 42mm Leupold with a mil-dot reticle, or look for a Mk4 M3 6x mil-dot. Might also look at the Hunter Benchrest scopes Burris and Sightron offer. Leupold's 10x mk4 is also a classic choice, or maybe look at Schmidt & Bender's 8x 56mm Classic. Also the Zeiss american made variables especially the 3-12x 56mm.

For lightweight, it is hard to beat Leupold. Great warranty and fast turn-around time if ever needed. USA company. Full service facilities and they'll change reticles and turrets for you at reasonable cost. A 4.5-14x or 6.5-20x Mk4 weighs in under 1.5lbs. I prefer to keep a field rifle under 14lbs when I can....