• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

Question for MPR owners, I am considering dropping a Seekins action with a heavy palma barrel in the MPR chassis. Anyone know if it will fit?

Also thinking about whether it will be stable enough for PRS with a heavier barrel?

The barrel profile should fit. Heavy palma is very similar to the Christensen carbon barrel profile. You might have a problem with the Seekins Havak action though. If I remember correctly, the action extends forward about an inch or so in front of the recoil lug. I'm not sure how that would mesh with the chassis and handguard.

Reactions: Pcola and Fylamaw
If you're primarily at the range, get the Tikka. The action is so much smoother than the Christensen, much easier to cycle (and quicker). I've not heard issues of Tikkas drifting when they have longer strings of shots, but there have been those reports on the MPR. The MPR weight is helpful if you're out carrying it around a good bit, but at the range you will appreciate the heft of the TAC A1 for stability and felt recoil. I have both an MPR and a TAC A1 and I greatly prefer the Tikka. Only keeping the MPR around for a hunting rifle.
Good info. I have also been looking at both of these and hearing of all the quality issues on the mpr dont instill a sense of comfort when spending 2 grand on a rifle.

Can anyone comment on the version with the SS barrel instead of the cf?

Last edited:
Reactions: faya_snipershide
The barrel profile should fit. Heavy palma is very similar to the Christensen carbon barrel profile. You might have a problem with the Seekins Havak action though. If I remember correctly, the action extends forward about an inch or so in front of the recoil lug. I'm not sure how that would mesh with the chassis and handguard.
Looks to me like there may be enough room where the body of the action in front of the recoil lug could sit in the hanguard. Debating about buying a Defiance action to use instead.

Reactions: Fylamaw
Looks to me like there may be enough room where the body of the action in front of the recoil lug could sit in the hanguard. Debating about buying a Defiance action to use instead.

Here are a couple of pics of the action/hand guard intersection point on mine. Since the hand guard isn’t round, it looks like it has edges that run in front of the action. So I really don’t think an action that is extended in front of the recoil lug will fit. At least not without some modification. I could be wrong, but that’s the way it appears to me.
50F582DC-C38C-41C1-BF0F-4D127C304A21.jpeg5E2FC70D-5A78-45C9-AA0A-E3A2B0A226C7.jpeg

Good info. I have also been looking at both of these and hearing of all the quality issues on the mpr dont instill a sense of comfort when spending 2 grand on a rifle.
I have one MPR chassis that I kept after selling off the Christensen barreled action. I plan to put in Origin Action in it once i decide on caliber and have barrel spun up.

Reactions: Fylamaw
I have one MPR chassis that I kept after selling off the Christensen barreled action. I plan to put in Origin Action in it once i decide on caliber and have barrel spun up.
How was the action, and accuracy? Im gonna guess not so hot if you sold it. I like the chassis, and i like the rifle. Id really like one with the steel barrel,butim not looking to spend 2 grand only to fill out a warranty form and have to send it in for work.

Accuracy was sub-moa, not by much and I never tried more than 3 shot groups for fear of barrel heating up. The bigger issue for me was the feel of the action. It was nowhere near close to my Tikka TAC A1 nor friend's Mausingfield and TL3 actions, or even my other rifle build on an Origin. Knowing that a little higher cost would get me more consistency and greatly improved feel led me to the origin/proof plan.

Accuracy was sub-moa, not by much and I never tried more than 3 shot groups for fear of barrel heating up. The bigger issue for me was the feel of the action. It was nowhere near close to my Tikka TAC A1 nor friend's Mausingfield and TL3 actions, or even my other rifle build on an Origin. Knowing that a little higher cost would get me more consistency and greatly improved feel led me to the origin/proof plan.
Nice. I now have my terminus action, waiting on my proof barrel and that will drop into an MPR chassis in April. Very excited for it.

Reactions: 90mph
Is there a action wrench that can be used with the CA action? Im thinking of rebarreling to a different caliber.

Can anyone comment on the version with the SS barrel instead of the cf?

im sorry to say but there will need to be some modification to be done. I called seekins for this information and they offered to do the modification for me if i send my rifle in.

Reactions: Thecelt
How are all of you MPR hunters liking the chassis style versus a solid tactical synthetic/fiber stock?

Do you like the pistol grip out in the field? Do you wrap the grip like a pistol when you pull the trigger, or do you keep your thumb outside the grip above your trigger finger?

If you were to buy it again, would you stay with the chassis/pistol grip style, or go to a solid stock?
I like the feel of it alot I actually switched my grip to an ergo grip. I carried it through southern Arizona hunting.

HI all,
Figured this was a good thread to bring this up. I almost pulled the trigger on an Alamo Precision rifle but keep looking the CA MPR. Now I've heard all the good/bad on the carbon barrel so I'm kinda interested in the SS version. It just hit the market so wondering if there is an opinion out there or if someone has shot one. New to the custom/semi custom scene. Mostly bow hunt. Interested in a .308.

HI all,
Figured this was a good thread to bring this up. I almost pulled the trigger on an Alamo Precision rifle but keep looking the CA MPR. Now I've heard all the good/bad on the carbon barrel so I'm kinda interested in the SS version. It just hit the market so wondering if there is an opinion out there or if someone has shot one. New to the custom/semi custom scene. Mostly bow hunt. Interested in a .308.
Same here, but seems like no one has one yet. I emailed CA but havent heard a response yet, and its been a couple weeks.

I called CA also. They say the same old thing. Tell me about their guarantee and the rifles are great. I asked about who makes their barrels and rep said they do from bar stock. All the info I could garner. It's like talking to a cheerleader.

Last edited:
Any updates from MPR owners with a .338LM? Only the couple mentioned posts but no follow-up so far. Very interested in how the lighter rifle handles recoil and how load development is going. Thanks in advance

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

While there is no shortage of chassis rifles out there, after getting hands on Christensen's version for the first time tonight it was clear to me that they knocked it out of the park on this one. On top of all the right features, they killed it on the price also - retail is UNDER $2300!

The buttstock is adjustable for LOP and comb height and folds to the right. Stainless action with fluted bolt/knob and extended handle, AICS mag compatibility, hand-lapped carbon fiber wrapped barrel, left side cut-out for smoother reload, great trigger, m-lok compatibility, and comes threaded 5/8x24 with the brake shown. Oh yea, the weight runs from 6.9 - 7.9lbs!

Tomorrow we get to stretch it out at the range so will report back after that!

First run of rifles will be delivered starting in November (yes, of this year) and will initially consist of 6.5 Creed in 22" and 26" flavor and 16", 20" and 24" in 308 Win.

Will post more details on our blog as internet speed allows - only 1megabit here outside Moab UT, and about 1000 people are sharing it right now!

MORE PICS and review details added here as internet speed allows! - CA Modern Precision Rifle

Jason
I purchased an MPR in 300 PRC for elk hunting on the prairie (and because I convinced myself my life was incomplete without another gun). Overall, it balances out pretty well, and I like that it comes with a triggertech from the factory. The action isn't as "fast" or "smooth" as a Bighorn or Terminus, but it is certainly a solid action. The chassis is really nice for the weight, but I do wish it came with an ARCA rail built in for at least a portion of the forend.

In my limited shooting it so far, my MPR seems to launch the 225gr ELD and 230 Bergers really well. I wouldn't call it a dedicated competition gun as it does struggle with heat and minor stringing after it gets warm. However, it seems to be a hammer if you keep it cool. I think mine tips the scales at 12lb with my MK5 and Ckye-Pod.

I purchased an MPR in 300 PRC for elk hunting on the prairie (and because I convinced myself my life was incomplete without another gun). Overall, it balances out pretty well, and I like that it comes with a triggertech from the factory. The action isn't as "fast" or "smooth" as a Bighorn or Terminus, but it is certainly a solid action. The chassis is really nice for the weight, but I do wish it came with an ARCA rail built in for at least a portion of the forend

In my limited shooting it so far, my MPR seems to launch the 225gr ELD and 230 Bergers really well. I wouldn't call it a dedicated competition gun as it does struggle with heat and minor stringing after it gets warm. However, it seems to be a hammer if you keep it cool. I think mine tips the scales at 12lb with my MK5 and Ckye-Pod.

I bought my daughter the shorter 308 version of it and am really happy with it. Very compact and shot a .355” group with it today just fiddling at the range. I’ve seen some rough reviews on it but between it and my Christensen 300WM BA with a Wyatt Box conversion they have been awesome.

So....got my 16" MPR today in .308 and just wondering whether the buttstock is supposed to lock up tight when extended? There is some slight play/movement which feels, frankly, terrible. My Tikka TAC A1 has zero movement.

In case anyone is interested in how this was resolved...

I sent the MPR back to my dealer in early November. I am in Canada so no ability to deal with CA direct. It took CA over 4 months to get a replacement rifle to the dealer (who has been excellent throughout). Finally got it this week. Open it up...same exact problem, albeit possibly a fraction less play in the buttstock when fully extended. Oh, and the muzzle brake is timed slightly off center on the replacement MPR. So long story short - no further ahead and arguably further behind. Thanks CA - great job!

That's weird both of my CA MPR stocks lock up tight. Sure there may be a very small bit of play if you are beating on the buttstock but not at all loose.

I bought my daughter the shorter 308 version of it and am really happy with it. Very compact and shot a .355” group with it today just fiddling at the range. I’ve seen some rough reviews on it but between it and my Christensen 300WM BA with a Wyatt Box conversion they have been awesome.
That's really encouraging. Mine is ridiculously long with the 26" barrel and chassis, but the 308 looks way more compact. You can't argue with those groups either, and I have heard that the CS is really good if issues ever come up.

Anyone have an .338LM MPR? What your thoughts on it?
It looks like a good deal @ 2100.00 (Eurooptics)

I picked up one of the bare-chassis thinking it would allow me to drop in the barreled action I already had. LOVED the chassis, but the action wouldn't fit without some pretty serious modification. Guess the chassis will have to go and I'll just buy the complete rifle!

I picked up one of the bare-chassis thinking it would allow me to drop in the barreled action I already had. LOVED the chassis, but the action wouldn't fit without some pretty serious modification. Guess the chassis will have to go and I'll just buy the complete rifle!
What didn't fit? The recoil lug? or some other part?

Is there a action wrench that can be used with the CA action? Im thinking of rebarreling to a different caliber.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Will be rebarreling when my current barrel is shot out, but staying with the same caliber. I believe it's a Remington 700 clone, so I'll be getting an R700 action wrench for it. If I run into any problems I'll update here. If anybody else has used an action wrench on a CA Model 14 action, please speak up and ease our fears!

Anyone have an .338LM MPR? What your thoughts on it?
It looks like a good deal @ 2100.00 (Eurooptics)

I don't have an MPR, but I have a CA Mesa Long Range (non-CF barrel) in .338LM. I think they use the same action (Model 14). Very happy with mine, and achieved a best of .3 MOA with Prime Ammunition Match ammo (300gr HPBT). Typically it fluctuates between 3/8" and 9/16" @ 100 yards depending on me. Hand loaded ammo got me a best of .26" at 100y, but that's not typical. With copper hunting bullets, I'm seeing typically .5 MOA to 1 MOA. Round cound is currently 627, and I'm starting to see a little firecracking in the neck/leade transition area. I monitor this every 100 rounds. If I had to estimate, this barrel will start to show erosion past freebore at about 1500. Curious to see what the groups open up to.

One thing that I've read is that nobody wants to risk running .338LM with a .700" diameter bolt. I do think about that from time to time, but I haven't had any issues with mine so far though. Well, aside from shearing multiple sets of scope base screws which are 6-48. To get around that, I've installed a Ken Farrell FG-Force base that uses a 1/4" screw as an adjustable recoil lug and countersunk (as opposed to counterbored) mounting screws. So far, so good. This was my last resort, since I did not want to drill and tap for 8-40 or pin the base.

I am thinking of getting the MPR chassis and putting an ARC Nucleus Action in it? Anyone try this? Any fit problems?

I also would use a Savage pre-fit barrel with a barrel nut. Any issues with the barrel nut fit?

What is the channel space of the handguard?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Could anyone measure the gap for the recoil lug on the chassis and/or the thickness of a Christensen Arms recoil lug with a calipers?

Also curious on using an origin with savage prefit in an mpr chassis

I contacted Christensen Arms and their response was that the standard Savage barrel nut wouldn’t fit. I am not sure that is accurate as the barrel contour would fit a Sendero profile...

The recoil’s lug space is the same as a Remington700, which is .185”

I ended up going for an MPA as I think it will be more versatile.

Im just a sucker for carbon and cant decidecwhqt i want originally was going to buy an mpr but after reviews decided to pass

Ive got the origin nut as well

Just curious for hunting applications, why would someone use this chassis system versus a CA ridgeline? What would be the pros/cons for both?

I had the exact same experience with my MPR. I could reload it to slightly better than MOA groups some days, but not always. The action is nothing to write home about, and it does have a pretty bad shift by a couple rounds. I should have had a proof spun up for one of my TL3 action and just been happy.

I don't know that I ever updated after doing it, but my short action Origin action fit perfectly in to my MPR stock after I removed & sold the 6.5 PRC barreled action. no issue with recoil lug clearance for the Origin.

Reactions: jwhjwh54
Can the bottom of the MPR handguard take an area 419 Arca rail m-lok to put a barricade spot or just use an atlas bipod "as" the barricade stop? Has anyone tried it before?

You're probably better off selling the barreled action and buying an Origin/Nucleus/Tenacity in the MPR stock. I much prefer my Origin action to the Christensen one in the MPR.

You're probably better off selling the barreled action and buying an Origin/Nucleus/Tenacity in the MPR stock. I much prefer my Origin action to the Christensen one in the MPR.
Did you come out about even after selling the CA barreled action? What barrel did you go with?

That was the other option I was thinking of too. I was thinking of buying the MPR est $2100 then putting a switchlug to change barrels, or getting a Curtis Vector action $1400 then MPR chassis $1100 then another barrel. What's the life on a CA carbon fiber barrel?

I'd have to look back to be sure, but I think the I sold the barreled action in the $13-1400 range. I bought an Origin at 10% off, ~$745, when Brownell's still allowed the coupons on them. I then purchased a Proof Origin Pre-fit for $730. In my case, ~$150-200 net upgrade cost. It was well worth it to me.

I will say I also have a BA Tactical and the action on that is much better in overall & definitely in smoothness than the MPR. They clearly put a bit more development effort in to the BA Tactical's action (which is shared with the ELR).

I'd have to look back to be sure, but I think the I sold the barreled action in the $13-1400 range. I bought an Origin at 10% off, ~$745, when Brownell's still allowed the coupons on them. I then purchased a Proof Origin Pre-fit for $730. In my case, ~$150-200 net upgrade cost. It was well worth it to me.

I will say I also have a BA Tactical and the action on that is much better in overall & definitely in smoothness than the MPR. They clearly put a bit more development effort in to the BA Tactical's action (which is shared with the ELR).
I’ve been on the fence about the BA Tac after a guy offered me a decent trade on a Nib 6.5 creedmoor. I’m an average shooter, not chasing tiny groups just want to consistently ring steel from 1000 yards in. Any input on that? Looking at putting a Viper pst Gen ii on it or a Razor Gen ii if I can put together enough cash. How’s the barrel life so far?

I’ve been on the fence about the BA Tac after a guy offered me a decent trade on a Nib 6.5 creedmoor. I’m an average shooter, not chasing tiny groups just want to consistently ring steel from 1000 yards in. Any input on that? Looking at putting a Viper pst Gen ii on it or a Razor Gen ii if I can put together enough cash. How’s the barrel life so far?
Mine is a 338LM that I got shortly before we went in to lockdown here and haven't had a chance to shoot. My range is limited to 200 yards and I recently learned the longer distance range around here may not work out for me, so I've actually listed my BA Tactical for sale. Wouldn't be able to really leverage its abilities over my 6.5CM for the distances I'm limited to here. My experience in comparing the actions is in dry firing drills, but it is noticeably smoother than the MPR action.

How does someone obtain a different bolt for Christensen Arms MPR for a different caliber, or would it be cost-effective to buy a whole new caliber rifle?

I'm trading a handgun for a CA Mesa 7mm rem mag, but since its a long action, I want to chamber in 338. possible?