• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Citristrip review/warning

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
So I have seen Citristrip suggested numerous times as a good way to get spray paint off of a rifle. I went ahead and used this product to strip my rifle/optics. While it did work well at removing the paint off of everything, it did some damage to soft plastic components on my scope. I have a Vortex Viper PST, and on the turrets there is a red plastic marker to indicate the location of the zero position on the turrets. This product completely dissolved these plastic markers. They no longer exist.... Additionally, it dissolved the glue under the rubber adjustment ring, which not only is no longer attached but the ring itself seems to have expanded and wont return to its original size.

In the end Citristrip is every good at doing what it is supposed to. Just make sure to protect any soft plastic components before using it.

Good to know! I've used this product, but only on wood stocks to remove the old finish before staining/clearing or painting. Sorry to hear that it damaged your scope though. Hope that works out for you.

Many years ago (1940's, 1950's...), before polystyrene plastic model kits became popular and model cement was made for plastics, the common cement for plastics was lemon oil.

I have had a couple issues with citrus strip as well.

One was on an HS precision stock. It ate up the shell a bit.(fortunately it was an old junk stock)

The other was cleaning krylon paint off a pelican case. It did not harm the case, but it did eat up the latches.