• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CLE 22LR Upper Experience? Or CMMG w. Beyers Bbl?

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    Thinking of having CLE build me a 16” 22LR upper. Will be running it suppressed and used primarily for plinking between 50-200 yards, particularly at night with some clip on NODs.

For the people who have shot their 22 uppers:
    1.) How was reliability? I have read great things and mixed things.
    2.) What type of accuracy were you getting at 50yds and 100yds?

An alternative is to pick up a CMMG conversion bolt and install a Beyers barrel, so if you have experience with those kits or barrels, I would be similarly interested.

Tons of research on this subject. The CLE seems to be the top in accuracy by far. And from many users say once mags are seated correctly function is fine. Others have had trouble. This is the reason I have time and time again gone with Clint Beyers barrels. I will be ordering g number 8 tomorrow. It uses a cmmg bolt and black dog mags. You do have to clean the chamber every 3 or 400 rounds. He uses a match chamber. That being said I do not shoot high velocity. Only target stuff. So the bolt isnt coming forward as hard. As for accuracy and anmo. I have done extensive testing with his barrels. CCI std velocity is the way to go. If you can find it. I have shot all the way up to n.v eley match and center x. Little to no distance at 50yds off bags. Expect around a nickel sized group.

Reactions: NHPiper
    My CLE seems comparable to my early model 40X in accuracy. The inserts didn't feed perfectly. Haven't had time to test the Black Dog mags. All told, I have only put a few hundred rounds through it.

Reactions: NHPiper
    Tons of research on this subject. The CLE seems to be the top in accuracy by far. And from many users say once mags are seated correctly function is fine. Others have had trouble. This is the reason I have time and time again gone with Clint Beyers barrels. I will be ordering g number 8 tomorrow. It uses a cmmg bolt and black dog mags. You do have to clean the chamber every 3 or 400 rounds. He uses a match chamber. That being said I do not shoot high velocity. Only target stuff. So the bolt isnt coming forward as hard. As for accuracy and anmo. I have done extensive testing with his barrels. CCI std velocity is the way to go. If you can find it. I have shot all the way up to n.v eley match and center x. Little to no distance at 50yds off bags. Expect around a nickel sized group.

Thanks for the info, this might be the way I go. Just picked up a slick-side upper and Brownells has the conversion kits in stock. Going to call Beyers later today to try to snag a barrel.

His machining and threading are impeccable. Just gorgeous stuff

Just ordered a barrel and conversion bolt from him. Seemed very old school, but looking forward to seeing his work.

Some of his work

Attachments

• 9333.jpg
      9333.jpg
      170.3 KB · Views: 49
    • 9418.jpg
      9418.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 43
    My Compass Lake 22lr will keep up with my Quad, Finnfire, Anschutz 64 and 40X. The feeding can be temperamental at times.

I liked my Beyer Barrel so much I talked my girlfriend into doing her first AR15 build with an 18" barrel and I snagged one of his 7.5"" fluted barrels to do another upper. They are both lasers. These BCG from CMMG seem to run about 95% of the time, with minor failure to ejects, which I imagine will iron out in the next couple of hundred rounds.

That rifle on the top in the third photo is hers with my precision rifle having the PVS27 on it. Groups are at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity. 7.5” barrel sits nicely beneath the handguard with a suppressor.

Attachments

• BAB23654-B40B-4CA4-B43E-F6947D2663C9.jpeg
      BAB23654-B40B-4CA4-B43E-F6947D2663C9.jpeg
      201.4 KB · Views: 52
    • AB80B37E-850E-4C80-BB85-086E2C1B2D20.jpeg
      AB80B37E-850E-4C80-BB85-086E2C1B2D20.jpeg
      96.6 KB · Views: 51
    • BF5E5A8D-84CD-46CF-8999-131D3D8A6087.jpeg
      BF5E5A8D-84CD-46CF-8999-131D3D8A6087.jpeg
      406.3 KB · Views: 48
    Reactions: nakoa01