• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning a Zastava m76 (corrosive ammo)

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
what's the best way to clean out corrosive residue in a barrel and prevent pitting? the m76 had ammunition(m75) designed specifically for it and is EXTREMELY accurate. However the downside to it is it's also extremely corrosive. What measures can be taken to preserve the integrity of a barrel?

is sweets 7.62 enough or is more ammonia concentration like windex better?

Re: Cleaning a Zastava m76 (corrosive ammo)

I shot about 1000 rounds through my M1A 3 years ago. Around 200 rounds a day for a week. I cleaned my M1A each night with a black powder solvent called "Black Off" which I bought at WalMart. Black powder is corrosive, too. I would assume any black powder solvent would do.

I disassembled the rifle and cleaned/brushed out the trigger assembly, took the gas system apart and cleaned it, slopped the bolt in it (didn't take it apart) and cleaned the barrel,chamber, flash suppressor and receiver - and then sprayed it all down/out with carb cleaner and when it dried I sprayed it down with Rem-Oil and wiped off the excess oil with a rag. No rust over the course of the week. Did get a light "browning" inside the tines of the flash suppressor a week or so later and it brushed right out and did not come back.

Folks say hot soapy water works, too. So hot that most of it evaporates while your getting ready to start doing the brushing and cleaning. They also say ballistol (don't know if I spelled that right) works great, too.

I shoot corrosive ammo through my S&W M&P 15 (5.45X39) and clean it with the Black Off solvent/cleaner and it is working on that, too. I cleaned it once with hot water (just sprayed it donw the barrel, the gas tube, dropped the bolt in the hot water, stuck the lower down it, the upper, etc. (used the kitchen sink, the wife was at church.....). Used her hair dryer to finish drying it out while I worked on the barrel, etc.

Corrosive ammo isn't scary if you take the proper steps to clean up afterwards. Rusting time (firing to rusting) can be weeks if you live in a dry climate - or it can be hours if you live in a damp climate.

You need a water based solution that contains ammonia. Doesn't matter if it's windex, ammonia, knock off brand, whatever, as long as it's water based and has ammonia in it.

The water dissolves the potassium salts, and teh ammonia neutralizes them.

Hot soapy water. What seems to work quite well is a floor cleaning soap with ammonia in it. However the key is hot water, that's what will dissolve the corrosive salts.
Regards,

IUD

Black powder cleaning regimens will work. Soapy water is a staple technique.

I think that alcohol/ammonia window cleaners, used in sufficient quantity can do a sufficiently good job with less mess. Heat? Sure...

Greg

with my 50-90 sharps or anything else I shoot with black powder, I use glass works with vinegar. If you can find any GI bore cleaner that works the best otherwise shooter's choice will also work