• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning an AR chamber

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I can't seem to get a brush (like a gun toothbrush) in between the chamber face and the locking lugs in an AR chamber and there appears to be quite a bit of carbon/powder built up. What's the best way to clean in there? See the pic, arrows are the areas I'm referring to:

IMG_1778-arrows.jpg

I've heard about using carburator or brake cleaner to soak or blast it out. Is that a good idea or should I just stick with a chamber brush and regular solvent?

Thanks!

Re: Cleaning an AR chamber

Qtips and zippo fluid always worked great for me. Carb cleaner would work great too.

15 minutes and it was white glove inspection ready.

Fancy things are just fancy.

Ive seen the cleaning rods attached to a dewalt drill with a chamber brush and that works quick

"Chamber Maid" from brownells. Same as the CJ weapons Star. It's a felt star cleaning pad.

Great stuff guys, thanks! I'm headed out to get some carb cleaner and some Q-tips.

FYI - I'm usually not this anal, but I'm attending a Carbine course tommorrow and wanted to make sure there would be no issues with potential misfeeds etc and having the gun go down. I shoot a lot of Wolf MC, so its a bit dirty. Although, I have to say my LMT's (both a DI and Piston) have had no issues with Wolf to this point. I'm probably just being overly cautious.

Don't go crazy with a lot of special cleaners and items, just some Q-Tips and Hoppies or Shooters Choice, etc. works fine. Wet the end of one Q-Tip wipe it around there, then use dry ones to clean up - Done!
    Robert

There are both <span style="color: #CC66CC">PLASTIC</span>(nylon) and <span style="color: #00CCCC">WIRE</span> AR rifle lug/chamber cleaning brushes.
    This is one way:
    Combine, simultaneously, Aerosol Kroil, with twisting the above brush on the end of a chamber rod or section of a fat, aluminum shotgun rod.
    Next, flush lug area with Carb / Brake cleaner while pointing the muzzle down into your trash can or another place where you don't care a bunch of nasty toxic stuff goes.

Kroil is a one superb cleaner.
    grin.gif

<span style="color: #FF9900">Citrus oil concentrate</span> cleans the grunge out too. Really! Promise. It will eat through a styrofoam cup in seconds - skrong stuff absent chemicals.

A 12 or 10 Gauge BORE MOP is just nifty for cleaning lugs - must be rotated to the right so to not un-screw - and the receiver surfaces that bear on the carrier.

Hard to over lubricate an AR. When grease starts getting on the rounds at the top of the magazine and then into the chamber, finally THE RIFLE IS OVER-LUBRICATED. But just before that is just right. <span style="color: #33CCFF">Run AR's wet</span>.

Lubricants are not expensive. Next time you change oil in the truck save a little new oil for your AR. You can't beat it. Motor oil has been engineered to death. Synthetic is what I like. Castol. Mobil 1. If gun oil was better than motor oil we'd put in car engines.
    wink.gif

Flush out the lug / chamber / barrel and carrier group areas right after shooting while on the range. Grunge doesn't stick so bad if you catch it while its hot. Then really clean the rifle at home with a coated rod and chamber guide. At least pull a bore snake through it soaked just the first several inches with kroil, solvent, WD40. Pull straight out. Careful.

After a drop of oil on the pins and springs, glob the trigger/hammer area with grease of any kind; mineral, synthetic, Moly, BN. I use Slide Glide Brian Enos mixed with Boron Nitride. As slick as owl shit! Grease keeps the oil where it should be; on the partses, and grundge where it should be; away from partses.
    wink.gif

While you got that tube of axle grease out, remove the recoil spring and buffer. Gob table spoon of grease in and around the buffer tube. Won't hurt a thang and it'll probably reduce the carrier recoil velocity to what it should be.
    blush.gif

Before firing the rifle, run a dry snake or patch. Pat attention to the chamber. It needs to be dry too. Isoprophyl alcohol is just dang dandy for this. Chamber / bore <span style="font-weight: bold">should be dry</span> and ready to be fired.

Weapons and guns CAN be too dirty, but NOT too clean.
    wink.gif

Get all the AR Glenn Zediker AR must see stuff books by Glenn Zediker. Right now. Best stuff on AR's I've ever seen and I seen a bunch.
    smile.gif

When the bore mops and brushes need cleaning, put them in a sock with the open end tied. Throw it in the wash with your wife's underwear. But don't let her see you do it. They use lots of soap and bleach. This helps the tools come clean. I don't know if it helps the lengerie.
    shocked.gif

In my experience it is better to not overclean an ar... you need some carbon build up to keep all the lube in place! Just oil er up good and wipe it off, then re-oil. But if you must, a dental pick works really well for getting in those tight spots.

I once saw a cook use oven cleaner on his M-4 and put it in the oven.... It actually stripped most of the finish.

Tried the Q-tips with some Butch's. Worked like a champ.

Also, I found something on ARFCOM (sorry) that I never knew. If you have a GI cleaning kit.... the hole in the T-handle is to stick a section of the cleaning rod in so you can twist the chamber brush with some leverage. Worked like a champ too.

get a Dewey chamber rod, and a chamber brush, clean the chamber and lug recesses, follow up with the chamber maid felt swab to absorb all the junk, works great on all my AR-10s and 15's!!!

Take 1-2 pieces of cleaning rod with a bore brush attached. Wrap some light steel wool around the brush and then chuck it into a drill. Done.

Rich

Some slip2000 and carry on..
    When I do clean my AR15 the sink with dish washer soap and hot water will eat all that out of the whole upper with little elbow grease..

Wipeout soakin for a couple hours, dewalt w/chamber brush, Jag w/patch a few times, dry compressed shop air to remove anything ya missed. Do it again if not happy.. Lube accordingly of course, Slip 2k.

Use the star chamber cleaning kit from these guys.
    I attach it to my drill and it gets everything clean pretty fast and easy.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6DkF0HpJFc&feature=player_embedded#!"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6DkF0HpJFc&feature=player_embedded#!" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Another option is to just get an ultrasonic cleaner. Mine will be here in about a month (Christmas present). Toss the upper in and go.

Rich