• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cleaning dirty 22 ammo

jay61581

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
Central Washington
www.facebook.com
I recently inherited my Dad's gun and reloading stockpile and found a bunch of rimfire ammo. Some of it wasn't properly stored so it acquired a nice layer of dust and crud...what's the best way to clean it up?

I think some time in the corncob media would have it looking good again but some people have strongly advised against that.

Ideas?

The problem is, .22 is externally lubed bullets, so if you clean them, you may end up with no lube.

I would not be comfortable tumbling live .22lr rounds. Rimfires in particular can be a bit sensitive and with all that atomized corn cob media if one went off you might just start yourself a fire like a grain elevator going up. Idea's, I don't know, wipe it off? I recently fired some pretty surface oxidized old Winchester T-22. It shot just over .4" at 50 yds. Wish I had more of that ugly old oxidized ammo.