• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cleaning nickel handgun finish

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
This question is not precision rifle related, but knowing the Hide, I figured I would be able to get a knowledgeable answer here.

I have a buddy that has a Colt 1903 .32 ACP with a nickel finish. It has been seriously neglected and abused over time and has a few spots where the finish is peeling off, some areas with a bit of discoloration and it dirtier than hell. I love to tinker with oddities like this and have volunteered to take it apart and clean it for him. I was curious if there are any gun cleaning products I should avoid with the nickel finish? Or are there any in particular that I should use? I was figuring on doing a complete disassembly and then letting the parts soak in either Breakfree or something else for a day or two, then getting after the crud and seeing what happens. I don't want to do anything that will damage the finish any further, and if possible would like to brighten it up a bit. Would I bo ok to use 0000 steel wool on it to try and shine it up, or will that hurt the nickel?

I have never dealt with a nickel finish before, so I want to try and get as much info as possible before getting started.

Thanks in advance for any and all input / advise.