• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

(CLOSED) **ROUND3 !!** (100YARD+) , Bolt-Action, 6group, 30round SHOOTOUT!

It could be head position and paralax issue with the consistency of the flyers. Next time you go back up from your scope and play with the paralax until the cross hair doesnt wiggle at all. You can just tell me to shut up if you already know this, as I am kinda new here and dont know everybody's experience level. Even some of my expensive scopes dont match up with the paralax settings on the knobs. (Nightforce dont even put distance figures on the NXS models) I only have one scope that the yardage marks on paralax knob match the range Im shooting. It could be that simple. Please forgive me for over analyzing, as I have the displeasure of being a detail oriented tinkerer. :)

Not a problem amax in fact I wouldn't have known if isn't point it out and that's the reason were in this forum!

As far as parallax I have a bushnell era and no matter how much I adjust parallax it still does slight wiggles (very
Slightly) for the left/right but
When I shake up/down I can never get that to stop. I was told it was the tolerances for my scope as it's not super high end like s&b.

With that being said it's still an awesome scope! I shot alongside some benchrest shooters on Sunday and my best groups were 7 5/8" , 12 3/4" and the worst was 24 3/4". This was at 1000 yards with a bipod and rear bag .

I totally acknowledge I have work to do on my fundamentals but can't quite put my finger on solving my cheek weld..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raise your cheek piece up until you have to force your cheek down on it to get low enough for a good sight picture. Not a crush fit but enough you have to tuck in firmly to get a good sight picture. This should solve your cheek weld consistency if that makes sense. If it is to comfortable then it is easy to get distracted.

It's already at that point; mainly it's forward / backwards for me. What i try to do is rest
My cheek and turn my fave towards the stock until my nose touches the end. Then I turn my head slowly until I see
Through my reticle with no scope shadow. I do find myself moving forward or backwards slowly to take out scope
Shadow if I didn't rest in the proper area.. This is where I believe my inconsistencies are unless you can point out other
Things I can do to correct
That.
I think i"ll have to add some type of Velcro for the tip of my nose to touch so I have a tangible reference point unless there's a different method

I know you won't want to do this, but it sounds like you will have to man up and just shoot more then. ;)

Lol 260 is expensive!! Waiting on dies then components to reload.. So close

seriously if anyone else reading has tips in how to be
Consistent with cheek weld I'm all ears.

Well it sounds like you understand the basics. In my opinion there is no secret formula. Your going to need to adjust your rifle or scope to a point where what your doing is comfortable, natural, and repeatable. I've dealt with the same issues and sometimes it takes a little tinkering to get it right where you want it so that every time you get behind the gun it just feels right. Your scope also sounds like it has something to do with it, I have a leupold that is a little more finicky with the scope shadow, when getting behind my Swarovski however I never have to deal with it. Well that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. And yes I am new here, most of the time I just look but finally decided to input.

Cheek weld technique that I like/use.
Since you don't want to death grip/pressure the stock. As if you put your head/cheek down on a pillow. No extra down muscle force required. This will keep you relaxed behind the rifle without
cramping up and it should be a position of relative comfort that you can hold for quite some time. Adjust height of cheek piece on stock as required.
Also, I don't move my head(much) back and forth to get in the eye box of the scope...get comfy behind the rifle/scope....now move the scope to get proper eye relief. Try to fit the rifle to your
position of comfort, not the other way around.
Load the bipod consistently....how much forward pressure?.....just enough so the rifle doesn't slip down out of the shoulder pocket, if the rear of the stock were not supported.

When your shot breaks... which way is your scope jumping?....ideally, your position behind the rifle is such, that your scope recoils straight back and you are able to pick up your target
again, through the scope after you recover. If your reticle moves inconsistent or far off the target (when the shot breaks) then you are not consistent or proper behind the rifle.

Think about the billiard ball on the pool table...if you shoot it straight against the perpendicular wall, it will come straight back to you. The wall is like your shoulder, you want the force of the recoil
to come straight back on the shoulder pocket/body, and you want to oppose that force perfectly perpendicular. Other wise, just like the billiard ball, the flight path to the bullet will deviate, because
you are putting an angular force on the rear of the stock during the recoil.

Excellent descriptive advice. Awesome. Somebody has been around the block a time or three.:)

Thanks buks I did most of what you said but you pointed out about recoil and where my scope ends up. It does Jump to some places while other times I can get back on target so I will definitely Check that as well!

Thank you Amax and GhengisAhn175.

Having somebody stand behind you and film you (with an Iphone or so) may help you in analyzing your body position and what is going on during the recoil.

Shot another target this morning, same gun different loads from the 1st target. 308 175 smk 42 gr. RL 15

Attachments

• april231.jpg
    april231.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 22
  • april23.jpg
    april23.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 19
Here is my best offering. I know I will be able to get this one day but I cannot seem to settle down enough to be consistent. I know each time to pull one. It will just take more practice.

For the target bottom right, there are three shots in the bottom hole. Started out as one of the best groups I have ever shot. I got so excited that I screwed it up.

Here is my entry...

Savage 10PC, TBAC 30BA Suppressor, 100 yards, Hand Loads - SMK 168grain - 44gr. Varget, SWFA 5-20X50

100yd Challenge-Rifle.jpg100yd Challenge-Target.JPG

Last edited:
What is the standard for how you measure 100 yards? Is it from the shooter to the target or is it from the muzzle of the gun to the target. I have a target I could enter, if it were acceptable that the 100 yards was measured from the bench the shooter sits on not from the muzzle of the rifle.

What is the standard for how you measure 100 yards? Is it from the shooter to the target or is it from the muzzle of the gun to the target. I have a target I could enter, if it were acceptable that the 100 yards was measured from the bench the shooter sits on not from the muzzle of the rifle.

As a general rule the measuring is done from "firing line" - that's where the muzzle should be.
For the sake of this competition - 1-2 yards ain't gong to make that much difference. You can submit it however you feel is fair - but I would prefer from the muzzle.

Thanks.

As a general rule the measuring is done from "firing line" - that's where the muzzle should be.
For the sake of this competition - 1-2 yards ain't gong to make that much difference. You can submit it however you feel is fair - but I would prefer from the muzzle.

Thanks.

Thanks, that is more or less what I thought. I will reshoot it with the target 100 yards from the firing line.

DLH_0222.JPG

The two worst fliers are shots I rushed. It was a little harder than I though to maintain concentration across 30 shots. This was shot with a MRAD .338 If I get time tomorrow I would like to reshoot it with the .308. Distance from the muzzle was 99 yards.DLH_0296.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my entry. Remington 700 5R 308win, 168 A-Max, RL-15 powder, 100 yards.Target.JPG

Attachments

• 5r2.JPG
    5r2.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Rem 700 AAC-SD, McRees stock, Stiener 5-25x56 Military, Rifle Basix trigger

110yds, 175 SMK, 44.8gr IMR 4064

Still trying to find which load the rifle likes and gettin used to the new scope, just got back from deployment a week ago

Where all the 6's at?

Bump from page 2 ...

If you mean 6mm's, I got one for you!

d1de0bfe6edd346a0c4f3b6ad29cffb0_zps857906f6.jpg

e23f5c322bdb2634200ba24aee1fb49d_zpsd462de09.jpg

Rifle began life as an Underground Skunkworks Kukri in 308Win, but just got it rebarrelled by Marc at Spartan Precison Rifles to 6x47 Lapua. These were rounds 133-162 on the new barrel.

If you mean 6mm's, I got one for you!

d1de0bfe6edd346a0c4f3b6ad29cffb0_zps857906f6.jpg

e23f5c322bdb2634200ba24aee1fb49d_zpsd462de09.jpg

Rifle began life as an Underground Skunkworks Kukri in 308Win, but just got it rebarrelled by Marc at Spartan Precison Rifles to 6x47 Lapua. These were rounds 133-162 on the new barrel.

Good shooting there Hondo. I'll have to get out and put one together myself and see what happens.

Did someone say they wanted to see 6mm groups? This was shot over the weekend, wanted to agg in the 2's but the weather was not favorable. Receiver is a Hall B with a Lilja barrel in 6ppc .261 neck bullets were Euber 65 gr. fb 28.5 gr. powder VV N 133

Attachments

• april26.jpg
    april26.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 23
  • April261.jpg
    April261.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 18
Did someone say they wanted to see 6mm groups? This was shot over the weekend, wanted to agg in the 2's but the weather was not favorable. Receiver is a Hall B with a Lilja barrel in 6ppc .261 neck bullets were Euber 65 gr. fb 28.5 gr. powder VV N 133

There are a couple of bugholes so average might be in the .2s :) Great shooting! I'll run it through the software at home in a bit.

With a scale I figured it to be around .335 group. I tried shooting a 6 target group the day before, but at my age I had a hard time seeing the cross hairs. The cross hairs on a 36x Leupold scope are 1/16" at 100 yards and I had to switch scopes the next day to a 36x Sightron with 1/8" dot, thats why there is a black dot in the square of each target. I have not shot this gun since April of 2006 and it took me 6 hours of prep time to assemble 32 cases.

Just joined the forum but I'll be hitting the range mañana and posting groups tomorrow afternoon

-BTO-

With a scale I figured it to be around .335 group. I tried shooting a 6 target group the day before, but at my age I had a hard time seeing the cross hairs. The cross hairs on a 36x Leupold scope are 1/16" at 100 yards and I had to switch scopes the next day to a 36x Sightron with 1/8" dot, thats why there is a black dot in the square of each target. I have not shot this gun since April of 2006 and it took me 6 hours of prep time to assemble 32 cases.

I am having my 6PPC chamber recut (the throat went south) - hopefully the barrel will be back before the end of this round. I've had some really good luck with XBR-8208 in mine. I've shot it with 50x Sightron and (don't laugh) older Bushnell Banner 18x (Korean made one) - can't tell if 50x is really that more beneficial shooting off a bipod, but having different POA and POI helps a lot shooting "one-holers" as long as you watch the scope cant.

Rifle: remmy 700 SPS AAC-SD, .308 Hornady Match AMAX 168gr.

First time shooting in a comp like this. Wind was from 5-15mph straight in my face and the mirage was pretty rough too but I shot my best. Hope I submitted the target correctly.
yjusysep.jpg

meheve7a.jpg

-BTO-

I don't what the deal is. Every time I try to post my target it won't load and I lose the whole post. Hmmmmm

-BTO-

**ROUND3 !!** (100YARD+) , Bolt-Action, 6group, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Finally!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398890085.790983.jpg
edu6upe8.jpg

-bto-

Last edited:
Weather has been so awesome this week that I took the day off and spent several hours playing at the range--looking back should have taken more time and not tried to do so much in one morning, but had the free time and couldn't resist. Had a few good groups going, but busted most of them with my 5th shot.

All are at 100 yards, but realized after taking target pics that I forgot to write yardage on there. All three targets, so 18 groups of 5, were shot in order on the same pallet.

First up was my 6.5 Creedmoor, shooting 43 gr H4350 under 136 Scenar in Lapua brass and FGMM. Gun is a GAP on Surgeon action, 26" barrel and FTE mini all in McM A5.

Last edited:
Last is another 308, GAP Hospitaller, standard spec build, so 24" barrel, Manners stock, shooting same load as above, just 42.8gr of Varget and seated a little shorter. Shot this one prone. The through the scope shot is a little canted, didn't notice until too late to take another.

Thanks for doing these rounds. Was great fun, and good way to track progress.

Thanks--but today I shot them like like my ol' Remington 600. Well, maybe not that bad--but sure is nice to know it was all me, not the rifle.