• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cmmg drop in 22 conversion

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka
just snagged one on sale at midwayusa with a barrel for a dedicated upper. anyone use the special charge handle they sell? says its made to prevent jams, has a shallow channel and no hole for the gas key. I was thinking of filling mine with bedding compound, but for the $20 I may just get the cmmg one. also, tapco makes a plug that provides pressure to keep the conversion unit pressed forward. any thoughts? I need a FSB to mount the MOE hand guard or a free float, I haven't really decided on furniture yet. thanks

I have a CMMG AR-15 .22 LR conversion with 2 grey magazines and one black one of a bit different shape. I've never had any problems with failure to fee or failure to fire or extract. I use the same charging handle that was in my rifle before I switch the CMMG conversion for the old bolt carrier and bolt. I don't know how old mine is as I was given it by a friend but I like it.

I have the India kit that I could not make run ! Tried on 2 different lowers with same results , tried swapping hammers etc. run one or two shots then misfire. Set back to CMMG and told nothing wrong ! Started playing around with it at local gunsmiths shop and we found firing pin spring to be very stiff ? He had a weaker rated spring the same size so we tried it for shits and grins. Runs like a top now

I have had one for a few years now. I've never seen any reason to modify the charging handle or use the "special" one. I'm not exactly sure what you are saying the fill plug does, but my CMMG conversion hasn't come up short in any way whatsoever. I don't see any need to change anything about the basic conversion.

After re-reading, I think I follow you on the fill plug. I'm not really sure where it could go or how it would benefit. I have to remove my conversion unit with a pry-bar if that tells you anything.....

Last edited: