• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP 40X Status Thread

Re: CMP 40X Status Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my paperwork today .....Should have it next week

</div></div>

So yer saying that you purchased his 40-X after he registered on at least 3 different forums that he was getting one and what he was going to do with it, then a few days after taking possesion he sells it? Bet price was a bit different than purchase price! Too bad that capitalism has to occur in the sale of these rifles. Pretty sad when $400 and change is all it takes for an excuse to need money. Must have really planned all the way to the next CC payment.

Which was my reason for the Hhmmmm if not only to just capture the statement in quote for prosperity. I could see 6 months or a yr and "needing" to sell but days was only to profit!! Just my stupid opinion however and I needed a post for the wk.

I bought it from CMP and it ain't for sale and no I didn't buy HIS .......

Jim

And maybe Im getting the last cherry picked one.....lol

Not sure ordered mine a while back and was out of town and they held it for me. They are great to deal with

I Really want one. Guess I should call. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought it from CMP and it ain't for sale and no I didn't buy HIS .......

Jim

And maybe Im getting the last cherry picked one.....lol </div></div>

Jim
I to hope you get a real nice one. Thought your comments were in reference to my post and contained quote! I have received mine and couldn't be happier. Kinda feel like I robbed CMP when I look at what I spent and what I received. All matching numbers. All nice bores and blueing. Satisfied is really an understatement for me.

It is just sour grapes for me that these are purchased either on impulse buys and sold when the CC statement comes for a profit or purchased only for a profit. CMP raised their prices $50 from 06 for comparable rifles. I am afraid because of 'capitalists' etc that someday they will be unaffordable to people with my income/means or sales to the public will cease because of greed or they will sell auction only or to another entity and make it all about the most dollars to be had.

Just my .02 worth.

Respectfully,
Dennis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my paperwork today .....Should have it next week

</div></div>

So yer saying that you purchased his 40-X after he registered on at least 3 different forums that he was getting one and what he was going to do with it, then a few days after taking possesion he sells it? Bet price was a bit different than purchase price! Too bad that capitalism has to occur in the sale of these rifles. Pretty sad when $400 and change is all it takes for an excuse to need money. Must have really planned all the way to the next CC payment.

Which was my reason for the Hhmmmm if not only to just capture the statement in quote for prosperity. I could see 6 months or a yr and "needing" to sell but days was only to profit!! Just my stupid opinion however and I needed a post for the wk. </div></div>

You must have a really difficult time R-E-A-D-I-N-G.

It is just sour grapes for me that these are purchased either on impulse buys and sold when the CC statement comes for a profit or purchased only for a profit. CMP raised their prices $50 from 06 for comparable rifles. I am afraid because of 'capitalists' etc that someday they will be unaffordable to people with my income/means or sales to the public will cease because of greed or they will sell auction only or to another entity and make it all about the most dollars to be had.

Just my .02 worth.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Plus 1</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just my .02 worth.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Plus 1</span> </div></div>

No rifle was sold or attemped to be sold. I made the above post after my wife recieved the rifle and did not know it was coming. I was in hot water for a few days, hence the post. However, him and I are talking about a USMC edition that a friend of mine purchased in 2006 that I had listed for sale on RFC for $1800. I asked a fair price on the CMP forum seen here:
Link

and after listing the rifle for sale, was responded to with this:
Link

I think I have done enough explaining of myself this evening....
frown.gif

I called and placed an order on December 28th. They have my order as "in process". I will be on the wait list if other orders get canceled or folks do not have their proper paperwork submitted. This is what the nice customer service lady told me. I am not expecting to necessarily get one at this point but I had to try. I would recommend jumping in on it, what is the worst that will happen?, you won't get one.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Stinger68

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of mine should be here tomorrow! </div></div>

That's what my tracking number tells me too.

My HBSS should be here tomorrow as well. I got a cheapy scope on one of the standard stocked ones that already came in and will try to take them out tomorrow for some fun.

My short stock showed up today. Haven't cleaned it at all but it looks pretty decent. Metal is in good shape, bolt doesn't match and is more beat than the rest. Stock has some dings and needs cleaning but no cracks or chunks missing. Not too short either. Looks like my sights shipped today also. Waiting for my HB to show after that. I'm happy.
IMG_2428-1.jpg

IMG_2427-1.jpg

IMG_2426-1.jpg

IMG_2430-1.jpg

You guys that are getting yours, what order # were you? My # is 569435. My CC got hit on 01/06/10 and I'm still in "processing" status". Although my card was charged and my status shows a zero balance, it also says: "Thank you for your on-line order. Your credit card has not been charged at this time. Your order will be reviewed by CMP staff prior to final processing and credit card charging."

Hmmm... hurry up 40X, I lust for you...
smirk.gif

Got mine today also. Barreled action is in outstanding shape, showing little if any firing. Bolt does not match and could use a re-blue - lots of wear. Smithy quoted me $20 to disassemble, re-blue, polish out, and re-assemble. That is very cheap considering the bolt is held together with roll pins, the extractors have to be removed, and the forward section will need polishing out to get it back to original.

Just got here and nice. Little bit of rust pitting but overall nice. Looks like the wood has been refinished over its lifetime. Bolt has some wear but is matched as is the adjustable buttplate. Anyone know how many sections usually come with the adjustable butt plate kits?
hbssrt.jpg

hbsslt.jpg

hbsscult.jpg

hbsscurt.jpg

bolt.jpg

adjbutt.jpg

Order # 569063 picked up just an hour ago at the CMP. Delivery scheduled for 24 hours and 46 minutes, but who's counting anyway. Heavey barrel, standard stock. CC has hit almost a month ago now. I hand delivered my paper work to the south store so that was of no help it would seem. Next time FedEx over night and save the gas. Picture to come. Donald

I would say condition is poor for the standard barreled action.
P1020616.jpg

P1020617.jpg

The rifle is fair condition with pretty good nicks and dings in the stock.
P1020618.jpg

P1020619.jpg

P1020620.jpg

P1020621.jpg

P1020622.jpg

Oh and BTW this whole "junior stock" thing from the CMP is a bunch of BS. The stocks were cut off and a Freeland's adjustable buttplate assembly was added. The LOP with no extension is a tad shorter than the normal stock and you can add quite a bit of length to them, plus the butt moves up and down. I guess if you pull it off you could give it to a younger shooter to shoot BUT the darned things are so heavy this would not work as a junior rifle.

I guess they did it for the collectors out there. As a shooter the "junior" model is a better adult rifle than the stock rifle.

Guys,

Just got mine today (40x HB). Just over a months wait. Overall not bad but appears to be an bit of a parts gun. Metal good except no matching number on bolt (were they stamped?) no electroengraved # either.Headspaces OK. Checkered bolt handle like the current 700's. Called Remington and they said it was made in 1964. (Opps, that was the year I graduated from H.S.)

It is a VERY DARK walnut stock with nothing that cannot be sweated out or filled and made to look quite presentable. A number of dings on the stock and only one 1/4" gouge in the comb that I can deal with. Since I don't want to make it look like a commercial refinish the stock will be left dull and just freshened up. Crown/bore look good and appear to be original

The trigger is a bit of a question since it is a split sear type. It does not have a single adjustment screw underneath so I doubt it is a 40x pattern. This does not seem correct with this late of a production. Comments ?

Bolt shroud edges are rough/worn and the bolt handle shows some freckeling in the finish. Would a replacement 700 Bolt shroud work ? Anniston was of little help.

All in all it IS worth the price $475.00 that was asked. Now the question is how well will it shoot ? I have a CZ 452 Varmint that has humbled Anschutz 1413's so I guess I am spoiled.We will see.

I will keep you guys posted. This is my first purchase from CMP but I feel I did OK.

"Say a prayer for all those in service to our country"
Not just today but everyday !

The triggers from '64=65 etc had double sears. Most of them from that yr had the trigger with adjustment allen head screw in the trigger shoe itself and not at the front of the trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and BTW this whole "junior stock" thing from the CMP is a bunch of BS. The stocks were cut off and a Freeland's adjustable buttplate assembly was added. </div></div>
Mine does not have an adjustable butt plate installed. It is a true "shortened stock". I am not going to use the stock anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and BTW this whole "junior stock" thing from the CMP is a bunch of BS. The stocks were cut off and a Freeland's adjustable buttplate assembly was added. </div></div>
Mine does not have an adjustable butt plate installed. It is a true "shortened stock". I am not going to use the stock anyway, so it really doesn't matter.</div></div>

I'll pay shipping if you don't want it
smile.gif
My kid can grow into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and BTW this whole "junior stock" thing from the CMP is a bunch of BS. The stocks were cut off and a Freeland's adjustable buttplate assembly was added. </div></div>
Mine does not have an adjustable butt plate installed. It is a true "shortened stock". I am not going to use the stock anyway, so it really doesn't matter.</div></div>

smile.gif
My kid can grow into it. </div></div>

You don't waste any time, do you?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and BTW this whole "junior stock" thing from the CMP is a bunch of BS. The stocks were cut off and a Freeland's adjustable buttplate assembly was added. </div></div>

smile.gif

smile.gif
</div></div>

You're just pissed I beat you to the punch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

smile.gif

smile.gif
</div></div>

You're just pissed I beat you to the punch. </div></div>

Maybe just a little.
smile.gif

complete 40-XHB order#569150 dated 12-03-09 arrived today. Very nice metal, hardly any wear at all on a matching bolt. Stock is very good+ dark red patina and only one small Bell peper seed gouge defect. CMP has scored big with me again. Pictures and groups to come.

Hello ? Say again all after "trigger"<span style="font-weight: bold"> shoe </span>? Never knew that they came with a trigger shoe per se.

Mine's scheduled for delivery on Monday! Order #569435. To the range on Tuesday, I'll put up a range report after...

Do they have these now? I went to the site and they had kimber complete, but no 40x. Is this a deal that comes and goes with the surplus shipments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they have these now? I went to the site and they had kimber complete, but no 40x. Is this a deal that comes and goes with the surplus shipments? </div></div>

The only thing the eStore still shows in stock is the heavy barrel stripped barreled action. They are completely stripped and still require trigger, bolt, stock, small receiver parts, etc. The complete rifles sold out in less than a week. The general consensus from most people seemed to be don't hold your breath for another batch like this one.

I had been watching for a couple years to find a 40x.

I am still on edge because my status is still "Processing" when I actually get shipping information I will be able to breathe easier.

My suggestion to you would be to buy the barreled action and contact PT&G for a bolt. The other parts can be had from Remington an Numrich. I would bet there will be some take off stocks hitting the for sale section soon too.

You could still be in a complete action ready to drop in a stock for less than $600. Still a pretty good deal if you look at what they go for on gunbroker.

Several people has posted in other locations that Remington and Numrich do not have the parts required to complete the rifles.

I would suggest that anyone interested in going this route, chase down sources for the parts first.

I just ordered the parts from both and they were in stock and shipped. My action came with the filler piece and spring included, so I now have an extra.

I agree these parts could be difficult to find, but certainly easier than finding a rifle for that price.

I have never laid eyes on one of their Kimbers, but all the commercial ones I have seen looked very nice and shot that way as well.

If a good shooting 22 bolt action is all you are looking for, there are many options at a more affordable price. The appeal of the 40x is it shares the 700 footprint.

Just received a pair of Heavies.

Stocks are damned nice compared to some of the beaver-ravaged ones I've seen posted. And all the metal is good also.

Neither bolt matches, oh well...we'll see how they shoot!

Overall, only negative worth noting is that one trigger seems to have been "modified"???

Any ideas as to why this was done???
P1020128-resisedandcropped.jpg