• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP 40X Status Thread

Re: CMP 40X Status Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Status just changed to SHIPPED!!!!

YAY!

It should be here tomorrow.

Guess I need to get some scope mounting hardware. I already have the stud to mount my bipod! </div></div>

Congrats! Be sure to post up some pics when you get it.

One thing I'll say about this whole deal... this was my first CMP purchase and it was way easier / smoother than I anticipated.

My second one shipped today. I was getting worried since the CC was hit two weeks ago.

It got here less than an hour ago. I updated my initial post with pics.

The stock has some beaver bites taken out of it. The rest will clean up. The metal is good with a matching bolt. Serial is electro penciled on the bottom.

Man this is a heavy mother. 12.5lbs without scope or bases. Guess I am going to build those shoulders, especially when I hang a bipod on it.

Now my only worry is what kind of "collectors" value these things will have in a couple years. I fully plan on shooting the hell out of mine, but I would be hesitant to chop the barrel or make any other irreparable mods if it's going to be worth a bunch.

Overall it's well worth the money I paid. I keep telling my wife that if I had to sell it tomorrow I could get back all I paid.

If you clean up the stock, you'd pretty much double your money on it. You can get a replacement stock from Numerich or even another hide member and stash it for later reconfiguring it back to original form.

I have 2 now, one I got 3 years ago, a standard weight on a 722 action and this recent one the 700 style heavy barrel. I've had mine 6 days and my stock has cleaned up nicely. I sanded out the cut fibres and steamed out the dings. Four coats of Tung oil on now. I'll put one more on and be ready to shoot by monday.

I have International Iron rear and Olympic front sights and a spare Redfield base and rings and a Tasco 6-24x scope. Only downside is I haven't figured out how to install a bipod off the rail.

Oh and yeah these guns are long and heavy. I am also behind in my upper body workouts!

RtSideaction.jpg

LSideButt.jpg

That buttstock had deep dings all over that face and comb. The comb had a few spots with cut wood fibres that I sanded out. I left a few small flaws that I can live with. Gives it honest character for it's age.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short Round</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Only downside is I haven't figured out how to install a bipod off the rail.

</div></div>

I had the same thought of the bi-pod on the rail. I wonder if there is a sling stud available that will match the threads of the nut that is in the rail?

I figured I'd concoct something.

I'm thinking of taking a piece of aluminum plate and bevel the edges, drilling three holes in line, center for the bipod, and one front and one back for a bolt, nut, and a washer with the nut and washer riding in the rail. This would be for the long slot rail and not the older short rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OR, just buy the Harris Pipod adapter for the "Amercian" target rail.

It slides in, tightens with a screw and the bipod mounts right on.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=511713

$9.99 and no modifications. My BRM-S mounted right up.

Additionally you can mount a sling if you wish. </div></div>

ooo I like that idea. Smart money right there. Thanks for the tip

If anyone got a mashed up stock and wants to order a replacement:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=834390&CatID=4268&mySort=1

It says it's for the Centerfire, but I don't think it matters. I found this through a thread on Rimfirecentral.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318619

If the replacement looks that nice I will be REAL happy. Can't do anything but add to the value.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA: Disregard, they are out of stock</span>

Lonewolf I think the only difference in the centerfire stock is that there is not a place in the centerfire stock for the loading tray screw that the rimfires have... Easy fix though.

From a CMP post.
<span style="font-style: italic">A rimfire stock will have a small clearance hole just forward of the trigger cutout on the inside for the screw that holds the loading tray. The loading tray (rimfires only) sits in the bottom of the receiver opening and helps align a cartridge with the chamber so you don't have to insert the cartridge directly into the chamber. The screw that holds the loading tray comes in through the bottom of the action and projects about 1/8" below the bottom of the action. In other words, a centerfire action can be put in a rimfire stock without a problem but putting a rimfire action into a centerfire stock will require you to drill a small hole to accomodate the loading tray screw which will then allow the action to seat all the way down into the stock.</span>

Yep, just a little swipe with the dremel.

I will probably end up glass bedding it anyway.

Just got a message that they are out of stock. Guess I am going to be working with the original anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OR, just buy the Harris Pipod adapter for the "Amercian" target rail.

It slides in, tightens with a screw and the bipod mounts right on.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=511713

$9.99 and no modifications. My BRM-S mounted right up.

Additionally you can mount a sling if you wish.</div></div>

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. That's what I'm going to do! Thanks for the steer!

The sad part about this is that I am ALREADY seeing these show up on the various auction sites ( one is from Kentucky). It seems that a lot of people bought these to make a substantial quick buck in the process. They buy 2-3 and maybe keep one for a while. In the meantime they triple their money.

Capitalism sometimes sucks. A lot of the people that missed out on one of these wouldn't sell them and would just pass it on to their grandkids.

Go Figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Neophyte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The sad part about this is that I am ALREADY seeing these show up on the various auction sites ( one is from Kentucky). It seems that a lot of people bought these to make a substantial quick buck in the process. They buy 2-3 and maybe keep one for a while. In the meantime they triple their money.

Capitalism sometimes sucks. A lot of the people that missed out on one of these wouldn't sell them and would just pass it on to their grandkids.

Go Figure. </div></div>

I know I'm hanging onto mine...

That being said, the whole flipping for a profit thing really doesn't bother me. The guys who bought 'em put in the effort to get them and paid their money. It's their rifle, they can do what they want with it. If they are able to sell them on gunbroker or wherever for a profit, well then that's the market price and more power to 'em!

Those who "missed out" don't have anyone to blame but themselves. Be a little more aware I guess. The word was out that they were available for SEVERAL days before they sold out. It's not like it was a 15 minute run and they were gone.

I am pissed I missed out on the USMC rifles for obvious reasons. But I am happy with the one I got. I wish I had gotten two. One to keep original and one to customize. I just couldn't take that hit at one time.

When my oldest boy got home today, I couldn't wait to show it to him. He was already asking if when he outgrows his .22 if he will get one of my rifles. He or his brother will get this rifle after I pass. My wife knows the rules if anything ever happens to me, so in likelyhood this rifle is in my family to stay.

It bothers me a little that there are guys who hoard them, then sell for profit, but that's life. CMP still gets the money to run their programs.

Yes, at first I thought that they whole buying two and selling one was kind of a di-k move, however, after some thought I realized that it may be a good thing. When you purchase from the CMP they send you the next rifle on the rack. That rifle could be a diamond or a dog turd and it is the roll of the dice. From what I understand the 40x rifles were around $500 then you may or not needed sights which were about $200+/-. The point is when these guys purchase one or two or twelve, they are taking a chance on what they get. The good thing for you is that you get to see pictures of what the guy is selling and also ask him questions about the rifle before putting forward your hard earned money. Yes, I did think that they were taking advantage at first, howeve, upon further thought I have determined that they are actually providing a service for which they are compensated. Also, is it better to have a guy buy ten rifles and sell them to the guys who really want them or to have that guy put all ten in the back of his safe for 30 years till he dies and his estate sells them to some gunshop for $50 each? This is just my opinion and for now in this country we are all allowed to have ours and express it freely. One more thing, I did miss out on those 40X rifles and did find one on Gunbroker for $999 and purchased it. Yes, I did pay double for it but then again it is is diamond and not a dog turd.
Semper Fi,
Robert S.
SGT/USMC

So when gas hits $6.00 a gallon ($4.20 of which is the net profit) it is only a fair compensation for the sellers effort ? After all they are <span style="font-weight: bold">providing a service</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">you need the gas regardless of the price</span>. Or is that gouging?

I disagree. I do not consider it a good thing any more than the current hoarding of reloading components,ammunition or certain types of firearms.Check the price of primers lately ? I know,I know. Supply and demand are the rules we live by. That is why we have lost our industrial base.

But then this is America so I am entitled to the same opinion as anyone else...........
For Now !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lonewolf I think the only difference in the centerfire stock is that there is not a place in the centerfire stock for the loading tray screw that the rimfires have... Easy fix though.

From a CMP post.
<span style="font-style: italic">A rimfire stock will have a small clearance hole just forward of the trigger cutout on the inside for the screw that holds the loading tray. The loading tray (rimfires only) sits in the bottom of the receiver opening and helps align a cartridge with the chamber so you don't have to insert the cartridge directly into the chamber. The screw that holds the loading tray comes in through the bottom of the action and projects about 1/8" below the bottom of the action. In other words, a centerfire action can be put in a rimfire stock without a problem but putting a rimfire action into a centerfire stock will require you to drill a small hole to accomodate the loading tray screw which will then allow the action to seat all the way down into the stock.</span> </div></div>

None of this applies if the stock is inletted for any sort of a magazine. This only applies for stocks inletted for solid bottom M700 pattern receivers with no mag cutout of any sort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Neophyte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So when gas hits $6.00 a gallon ($4.20 of which is the net profit) it is only a fair compensation for the sellers effort ? After all they are <span style="font-weight: bold">providing a service</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">you need the gas regardless of the price</span>. Or is that gouging?

I disagree. I do not consider it a good thing any more than the current hoarding of reloading components,ammunition or certain types of firearms.Check the price of primers lately ? I know,I know. Supply and demand are the rules we live by. That is why we have lost our industrial base.

But then this is America so I am entitled to the same opinion as anyone else...........
For Now !

</div></div>

I heard it said once, and it seems to apply here, that capitalism is the worst type of economic system except when compared to all others. Its not perfect but the alternatives are much worse.

Back on topic, my second HB showed up today. Its even nicer than my short stock, matching bolt, metal 95%+. Not US marked and the stock has some dings and scratches but overall very good.

Now I'm torn, I'm keeping one stock and turning one into a trainer and I have to decide which to modify. I'm thinking the short stock would be the better choice to modify but it is US marked. But the stock was cut a little and the bolt doesn't match, whereas the regular is in a little nicer shape metal wise and the stock is the correct length, but not US marked.

So now the question is which one is "WORTH" more to you ?

To "ME" the U.S.roll-mark is worth more than the monetary value.
Stocks can always be replaced. Duplicating that roll-mark is a tough one to do. I would modify the one that does not display the military heritage.

IMHO

Definitly on the receiver ring not the stock.

Mil stocks are generally differentiated from commercial by the oil finish as opposed to the varnished finish.

I had my first 40x range outing today. SWEET shooting but I am not a fan of the Redfield iron sights.... Next range trip it will have a 1977 16x Leupold Bench Rest scope on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just received a pair of Heavies.

Stocks are damned nice compared to some of the beaver-ravaged ones I've seen posted. And all the metal is good also.

Neither bolt matches, oh well...we'll see how they shoot!

Overall, only negative worth noting is that one trigger seems to have been "modified"???

Any ideas as to why this was done???
P1020128-resisedandcropped.jpg
</div></div>

I wouldn't say that's modified. I'd say someone dropped it and bent the trigger. Is the inside of the ADL trigger guard dinged up? They might of replaced it...

I had a trigger on a barreled action get bent just like that from a UPS guy this summer. I tried bending it back and it snapped off.

"Any ideas as to why this was done???"

The barreled action appears to have been dropped while out of the stock. Email the CMP customer service addy - they will have you send it back and they will replace the trigger or you can ask them to send you a complete trigger assy so you can swap it out yourself.

Keep in mind these are parts guns - hence the reason the stocks, bolts, and barreled actions don't match up as far as wear goes on most of them.

Thanks for the advice 9.

Never crossed my mind to bother them about the trigger. Guess the answer is always no till you ask...

So check this one out. I was WAY late to the party for the 40X's that came out but I figured what the hell, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I called the nice folks at CMPs customer service and a lady I spoke with said they were sold out of all the rifles other that the rifle/receiver combo which didn't have the bolt or other internals. She says to me to go ahead and put an order in anyway and if anyone cancels their order or their paperwork does not get squared away I would be possibly up for a rifle. So I am thinking what the hell, worst case scenario is I don't get a rifle. Subsequently I mailed in my order for one of those .22 rifles and got the confirmation that CMP got it on January 7th. Well I just got my e-mail confirming that the Heavy Barrel rifle I wanted is confirmed for shipping and I have a tracking number!!! To say I am happier than puppy with two peters would be an understatement. Here's a big salute to the folks at CMP and their customer service lady!! Woohoo!

I got my heavy barrel rifle Tuesday. Sent paperwork in last wednesday got it this tuesday. It was well worth the effort to check to see if the had anymore in stock.

has anyone had trouble getting the filler screws out of the front on the reciever? mine appear to be loctited in or something. Any suggestions?

Try a heat gun, hair drier, or touch them with a hot soldering iron.

If that does not work soak them a few days with penetrating oil.

My 40X update: (note - all shooting done sling coat and irons at 50 meters on the International smallbore target)

I received a 40X Short Stock version a few weeks ago. It came with the Freeland's adjustable butt plate attached. The barreled action appeared to be unfired with a lot or "rack wear", or dings to the metal. The inside receiver bluing was perfect as was the muzzle bluing, hence the near unfired supposition. The bolt on the other hand was heavily worn as was the stock.

Cleaning of the barrel revealed quite a bit of rust. I cleaned it twice with solvent, soaking it over night, then went after it with JB bore paste. I shot it some but it had extraction issues. I cleaned the barrel again with both solvent and bore paste, then spun a tight patch in the chamber with JB quite a bit.

A week ago Nick Mowrer (former top junior pistol and rifle shooter in the US in 2008, now a member of the US National precision pistol team and OTC resident athlete) shot my custom Anschutz prone rifle in a 60 shot 50 meter match without my good matched ammo. He shot a 586 with it. Sunday night he shot the 40X, again with unmatched ammo, and shot - a 586. Nick experienced only 2 failures to extract in 100 rounds. I plan to polish the chamber some more with a split dowel and steel wool.

The 40X shoots well. I was immediately comfortable with it in the prone position the first time I shot it. The heft of its barrel has me wanting to re-barrel my Annie to a heavier contour as the 40X has a very settled feeling with its heavy barrel, much like my Palma rifle.

Thanks CMP!!

UPDATE on the quest:
I am lucky enough to work out of the house for my job once in a while and decided to take one of those days to wait for the FedEx delivery of my 40X-HB. I opened it up was pretty pleased with the condition of the overall gun. Slight beaver attack (and vice marks) on the stock as well as the typical dings and dents from the rack storage. Wear on the full length rail on the underside of the stock. The butt pad needs to be fitted better. The bolt is matched with the proper serial number and seems to be in good shape. Bore looks bright after some cleaning and and crown looks to be perfect with no marks. Trigger is surprisingly smooth and light.

My questions are as follows:
1) For the stock I have seen some mention of "steaming" out the dents. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how this might work?

2) Is is sacrilegious to sand the stock down and refinish with a Tung oil or the such?

3) Is it also sacrilegious to consider putting a tactical bolt knob on one of these rifles?

4) What are you guys doing with the holes on the barrel where the sights went, simply filling them with flat screws?

5) I would like to possibly look into cutting down the barrel but do not want it to suffer from any accuracy loss. Again, is the sacrilegious? Can I cut it to 20", have it re-crowned and threaded? Anyone know the twist rate on the barrel?

I am somewhat a newbie with these 40X's and I am looking forward to having my kids join me at the range with the fine CMP piece of hardware.

Thanks much!
40X-HB_1.JPG

40X-HB_5.JPG

40X-HB_2.JPG

Whiskey Lima,
Sounds like you got a good one. Have you shot it yet? There are several threads on RFC about the CMP rifles but this one includes stock work:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317997

As far as the modification/restoration being sacrilegious, I'd say no. After all, it's your rifle to do with as you please. Personally I was planning on cutting mine down, switching stocks, etc. to more closely mimic my LTR. After receiving mine though I decided to just put a scope on it and shoot. I am going to sand and refinish the stock but the metal is just too nice to cut it up IMO.

If you do customize it make sure you post some pics. At the same time, I wouldn't post pics of it on a 40X Collectors board
wink.gif

dlc356, much thanks for the insight and link. I bought this in the spirit of the mission statement of CMP to specifically introduce youth to marksmanship and safety but at the some time if this is a "collector" piece then I would not want to screw it up.

I'm actually thinking of threading a suppressor onto my 40X. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do it. It's such an awesome rifle already.

Anyone else struggling ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually thinking of threading a suppressor onto my 40X. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do it. It's such an awesome rifle already.

Anyone else struggling ? </div></div>

It would be rather pointless to do so unless you often shoot someplace alone, or where everyone else uses a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Depth Afield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually thinking of threading a suppressor onto my 40X. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do it. It's such an awesome rifle already.

Anyone else struggling ? </div></div>

It would be rather pointless to do so unless you often shoot someplace alone, or where everyone else uses a can. </div></div>

How so?