• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP USMC M40 with scope!!!!

keysersoze

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2009
Central Florida, USA
Just got the OK from Lowlight to post this.

The CMP has a "M40 USMC Remington Model 700 Sniper Rifle w/ Scope" that goes on the auction block today. I thought that quite a few of you may be interested in this. I will be watching to see what it goes for, being that I am broke currently. I will go buy lottery tickets in a few minutes.

It is not posted yet but should be posted early this afternoon.

Here is the link to the "Upcoming" listing. Look at #9. CMP M40 Link.
If I am around this afternoon, I will post updated links to the actual auction and description.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Updated link to the auction. CMP M40 Auction </span>

Thanks to DMann for the updated link.

Any guesses (pending details) on what this will go for?

Moderators: if this in the wrong spot, please move it or advise me on any action to take. Thanks.

Re: CMP USMC M40 with scope!!!!

Judging by the prices M1C/Ds have gotten, I'd be willing to bet this is gonna be a pricey rifle.

From 1K to 2.6K in one hour!!! barry

The base is not a square corner. Interesting.
Big bucks no doubt!

"If I were a rich man"

It would be nice to have it, the CMP certificate with USMC M40 and the serial number on it...

How many rounds down the tube?
What kind of groups are you getting?
Interested in any trades?

I'd swap out that crappy scope for a Hensoldt......
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds down the tube?
Interested in any trades? </div></div>

Think this is being sold by the CMP and not a private party

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Think this is being sold by the CMP and not a private party </div></div>

My humor is hardly ever appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds down the tube?
Interested in any trades? </div></div>

I checked with the owner and seeing how the reserve is not met, he would shut down the auction early if you have an H&R youth handyrifle and Barska 32X in .444 to trade even up. No kiddin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Think this is being sold by the CMP and not a private party </div></div>

My humor is hardly ever appreciated. </div></div>

one of those problems with seeing that comment one too many times.

7 digit SN would make it 69ish. What I wouldn't give to own something like this!!!!

2 worthless dried up nuts, some skunk piss colored facial hair and 20lbs of belly fat aren't something easy to sell however!!!!

It's up to $5000.00 .

I wonder what the highest priced item sold in a CMP auction was?

IIRC I seen a new and unfired M1D sell for about $8500???? a yr or so ago??? There aren't many bargains on their auctions and numerous very serious buyers/collectors.

Wouldn't be too shocked to see it fetch 15k or even more. Thing is how many have ever seen a genuine and original M40 for sale to civvy's more less a near new one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC I seen a new and unfired M1D sell for about $8500???? a yr or so ago??? There aren't many bargains on their auctions and numerous very serious buyers/collectors.

Wouldn't be too shocked to see it fetch 15k or even more. Thing is how many have ever seen a genuine and original M40 for sale to civvy's more less a near new one? </div></div>

I'd bet this is the rarest item they have sold, unless they have sold a pedersen device somewhere in the past.

It'll probably end up being their highest seller as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 worthless dried up nuts, some skunk piss colored facial hair and 20lbs of belly fat aren't something easy to sell however!!!!</div></div>
Wow... just wow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the M40's were SN'd in the early 6 digit flavor... </div></div>

Most were six.. the later (second series)seven digits were obtained during the "product improvement series". Per one round war the second series began in Nov 1968 at 6200000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 worthless dried up nuts, some skunk piss colored facial hair and 20lbs of belly fat aren't something easy to sell however!!!!</div></div>
Wow... just wow! </div></div>

LOL. I didn't even state a price! You think I am too cheap or is it my colorfull description of myself yer havin issues with???
wink.gif
Sorry for thinking out loud with my keyboard
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the M40's were SN'd in the early 6 digit flavor... </div></div>

mjh said:
I believe Gary provided barrels for the M40A1 after Atkinson Gun Co provided the originals. The Corp received an initial order of 550 M40 rifles with scope attached, and 150 without, I suppose you could surmise that these rifles were the early rifles, but its hard to say if they were all marked the same way, certainly most 300000 serial numbered rifles I have seen photos off, appeared to be marked 7.62 Nato. Breakdown of rifles procured by year, 1966-700, 67-62, 68-87, 69-137, 1970-8, 1971-1 for a total of 995. Douglas was a supplier of barrels to Remingtons custom shop, they patented the air-gaging which was huge boon for accuracyand Remington jumped on this. [/quote

The above post was from mjh on the M40 build thread which as you can see toward the end gives quantity of M40's built each yr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetailnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's up to $5000.00 .

I wonder what the highest priced item sold in a CMP auction was? </div></div>

A few years back the CMP got some New In Wrap Garands. At auction I think they went over 25K.

Hey DMann, thanks for the link to the actual auction.

I just got home from work and saw the bid price, dang!
shocked.gif

Maybe my lottery tickets will come through and I will be able to own a piece of history. Probably not. I did get an email from a guy in Nigeria that wants to give me a bunch of money if I help him out, maybe that can be plan b. This guy sounds legit.
wink.gif

I thought that this was a very cool piece and that some of you would be interested in it.

Thanks for the comments about the serial numbers, dates, parts used, etc. I learn more and more every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. I didn't even state a price! You think I am too cheap or is it my colorfull description of myself yer havin issues with???
wink.gif
Sorry for thinking out loud with my keyboard
smile.gif
</div></div>
NO! NO! It's not the price that I took exception to, it was the description, sorry for any confusion
laugh.gif

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at some naked chicks just to make sure, this whole conversation has got me feeling dirty & confused.

All of the CMP auctions reach idiot prices. The CMP could make a ton of money by auctioning everything.

That rifle will bring over $15k easy...

I still don't understand how the SN on M40's and M40A1's were in the early to mid 6 digit range, yet this one is before the A1, and a 7 digit.

It's over 8k now.
Holy crap, wish they just had a "Add to basket" when it was at 1000. I'd have jumped on that ..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rifle will bring over $15k easy...

I still don't understand how the SN on M40's and M40A1's were in the early to mid 6 digit range, yet this one is before the A1, and a 7 digit. </div></div>

Look at my last post on page 3 JRose. The initial order of M40's in '66 were 6 digit receivers. The Corps however purchased several hundred more in the late '60s to '71. In '69ish the 7 digit started with #6,200,000. Remington didn't use SN's starting @ 1 and going continous but instead started and ended with a certain 'block' of SN's. The A prefix was added around '74 when Remington then added the anti-bind rail for the bolt and began using letter prefix before the 7 digits and still like that today. They change letter prefix but retain 7 digits.

In '75 when the M40A1 was adopted by the Corps the first ones were made from the good receivers from the M40's. From what I understand some well worn receivers were scrapped and the others rebuilt to A1 spec as they were returned for maintenance/barrel etc. The above rifle listed was probably one of the last lot purchased and possibly never issued. According to a post somewhere in the A1 thread by Geo @ GAP the Corp then procured 100 C prefix receivers for A1 builds and in the '90s more E and G receivers. IIRC Geo stated there were actually more A1's with E and G receivers than any other. Some wore out, some lost, damaged, allocated to other agencies etc as time progressed.

Hope I got this all right from memory and what I have read and it explains what you need it to????

Respectfully,
Dennis

So 6 digit are pre '69, post '69 they are either 7 digit, or prefixed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So 6 digit are pre '69, post '69 they are either 7 digit, or prefixed? </div></div>

Yea, kinda like that. Not real sure at what numbers Remington discontinued using 6 digit and went to 7 or exact month and yr. Highest I have seen is in the 350,XXX range. When they started the 7 digits it was @ the mentioned 6,200,000 range till mid 6 million then with the rear bridge height change of .017 higher and the anti bind rail the letter prefix started. Guessing the letter addition was to easily distinguish the minor changes???? Suppose if you got ahold of the right person at Remington they could tell you?

Just a fleeting curiosity... I always thought the numbers just went sequential until the prefix actions. Thanks for the clarification.

<span style="font-weight: bold">From another board. </span>

"As per the DOD central registry, the rifle is/was USAF (United States Air Force) property. Scarce none the less but not USMC. Interesting to note as with most 6xxxxxx rifles, the scope is matte black and the scope base has rounded corners."

Anybody know whether this is true or not? USMC never really retires anything until it's all used up, flyboys on the other hand will dump stuff as soon as something prettier comes along.

SFC (now retired) Charles Gartland of the USAMU's International Gunsmith Section (and US Olympic Shooting Team Armorer for the 2004 and 2008 Summer Games) and his section overhauled three dozen Vietnam-era former Air Force M40s to "Short-action M24" configuration for the All-Army Matches in 2005.

These short action rifles provide participants from across the Army who wish to compete a loaner M24 to train with (All-Army competition rules mandate government-owned weapons). M24s replaced the AMU's National Match M21s as they became too expensive and manpower-intensive to maintain.

The M40 rifle actions with original barrels (of 38, two had to be replaced) were pulled from their vintage wood stocks and dropped into HS stocks with adjustable comb height, adjustable length of pull, and new bottom metal with ten-shot HS detachable magazines. Leupold M3LRs in Badger rings were mounted on Badger 20 MOA rails. Chuck fitted all rifles with iron-sight bases and black powder-coated all metal.

They came from Anniston Army Depot stores ready-for-war. Out of the box they were surprisingly accurate. I imagine the CMP guns will be in great shape, either as collectors' items or shooters.

Practically the surplus M40s are wood-stocked 700 Varmints with better old-school barrels.

801828585_uPEGA-L.jpg

801828145_NZwgj-L.jpg

801828870_oLFpg-L.jpg

801829384_4rEGK-L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
flyboys on the other hand will dump stuff as soon as something prettier comes along.
</div></div>

Hey,
I resemble that remark. Wait OH LOOK something shiney.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rifle will bring over $15k easy...

I still don't understand how the SN on M40's and M40A1's were in the early to mid 6 digit range, yet this one is before the A1, and a 7 digit. </div></div>

Only the first 200-300 were 6 digit after that there were all accross the board

It is over 10k now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 digit SN would make it 69ish. What I wouldn't give to own something like this!!!!

2 worthless dried up nuts, some skunk piss colored facial hair and 20lbs of belly fat aren't something easy to sell however!!!! </div></div>

Dennis you fucking killing me!!!

XARMOR, its one of the USMC M40 presentation rifles, one recently sold at Rock Island in Sept for $14950, this is one of four or fives rifles put together and awarded to members of the USMC rifle team, circa 1980. The rifle is a USMC M40 original, theres an exact copy in Senichs, One Round War, page 262. This rifle is also an exact copy of the rifle sold by Rock Island, serial # for the rifle pictured in Senichs book is 6257207, serial # of the rifle sold by Rock Island was 6257284. Senich quotes 6257276as the serial # of another one of these rifles and I believe 6257227 may have been the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its at $10,600!!</div></div>

I just saw that too and about pissed myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XARMOR, its one of the USMC M40 presentation rifles, one recently sold at Rock Island in Sept for $14950, this is one of four or fives rifles put together and awarded to members of the USMC rifle team, circa 1980. The rifle is a USMC M40 original, theres an exact copy in Senichs, One Round War, page 262. This rifle is also an exact copy of the rifle sold by Rock Island, serial # for the rifle pictured in Senichs book is 6257207, serial # of the rifle sold by Rock Island was 6257284. Senich quotes 6257276as the serial # of another one of these rifles and I believe 6257227 may have been the other. </div></div>

I had told my dad (he is bidding) that I thought that it may have been a presentation rifle. I wonder how CMP ended up with it? Was it one that was not awarded to the USMC team?

Thanks for the reference to page 262.. I will go home and read the book tonight.

I'm not bidding and have no intention of bidding, but this is an interesting thread regardless!

Pinmaster, I think a call to CMP could clear some matters up, perhaps the rifle was donated to them. I am pretty sure at least two of the rifles were donated to Shooting team members.