• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Wait Time

Re: CMP Wait Time

N2DADARK congrats I told you it would be worth the wait! Now go put some rounds down range!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's good looking brass. Who is the manufacturer?</div></div>

Thanks all I cant wait to get it to the range, when I do I will slow everything down to get an accurate range review for you guys,

Shooterone, I picked it up from Cheaper Than Dirt, the side of the box says ORM-D, as for manufacture thats about all I can find. The rounds were not nicked or beat around at all and for 95 bucks it seems like a good price. Here's the link http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM674-1.html

The ammo you bought is made by http://www.bvac-ammo.com/ but why didnt you order M2Ball surplus ammo from CMP .50 per rd ?? I would bet its ever bit as accurate as what you paid $1.00 per rd for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orlando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ammo you bought is made by http://www.bvac-ammo.com/ but why didnt you order M2Ball surplus ammo from CMP .50 per rd ?? I would bet its ever bit as accurate as what you paid $1.00 per rd for</div></div>

Well I went with the new stuff because I was getting mixed reviews from the CMP stuff. I wanted a good base line for sight in and for later building up my own rounds. Im sure that the Greek surplus stuff was alright, but new ammo seems like it would be a better starting point.

i wish i could order from CMP
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i could order from CMP
frown.gif
</div></div>

You can as you are leagally able to purchase a firearm
If you need help PM me

I have shot many thousands of rounds of Greek HXP from CMP and find it every bit as accurate as standard commercial ammo
The brass is also great for reloading

100 yds off bench CMP Surplus
Picture499.jpg

Why can't you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i could order from CMP
frown.gif
</div></div>

Do you receive an email notification with tracking info when it ships?

Yes, you can also sign up on E-Store and track the order there through the whole process

I received a notice of shipment on Saturday night at 1900hrs.
It stated that it was being sent FedEx overnight however the tracking number does not come up on FedEx's site.
Does this mean it is going out on Monday for Tuesday delivery? I ask this because I will need to make arrangements to be at home to receive the delivery as I imagine a signature is required.

Fed Ex normally calls with a recorded message stating when they are delivering.
Keep checking your tracking number, it may not have been in the system yet.
If you arnet there when the try and deliver they will make three more attempts
If you have a FedEx hub close by you can have them hold it there and pick it up yourself

Good day,

I am thinking of adding a M1 Garand to my collection after reading and seeing the photos here. CMP lists quite a few different grades of rifles, I want something nice, but do not mind some character. What grade would you experts recommend getting? Also any advice on whether to get a WRA, SA or H&R? Also since I am currently overseas, am I able to purchase a rifle? I will not be back on American soil until probably 2013, so can I get it sent to my parents? Not sure how the FFL will work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No FFL involved, it is shipped directly to your home
Get the Service grade, either HRA or SA .

Yeah get the Service Grade, it will have a little character and you may even get the original stock. From what I've seen even Field Grade is a little more worn but if you plan on shooting you may be replacing a barrel down the line. I ordered mine with my mailing address lets say state A, and I'm stationed in state B, so if you have a residency address states side you can just get it sent there and it should be a problem. No FFL required however if you read into the website you need to be part of a CMP affiliated group and I think have a photo of you at an event. But like me if you are Active Duty Mil, or retired Mil then you already qualify, just need a xerox copy of ID.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to order another Garand. Can never have too many.

Bill</div></div>

Yeah you can, I found it, when you move from the country into the lets say somewhere like DC and there's no where to shoot thats longer than 50 yrds and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.....lol 1 is that number.....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can never have too many.
</div></div>

I agree!!
MVC-008S-1.jpg

You guys would really be freaking if you saw the stuff we were picking over and LEAVING on the shelves at Perry just a few years ago. :)

Get the m2 surplus ball and forego the new stuff......

I mailed my paperwork to the CMP about a week ago so we'll see how long it takes em to get mine processed. If the one I get looks half as good as the one in the pics above I'll be tickled to death!!! I'm getting a service grade H&R.

Shot it in the falling sunlight last weekend, nothing serious 8 rounds from kneeling was about 5" group, sorry for no pictures it was kind of a gun and run moment for me. The rifle shot great though, and I ordered a stock finishing kit so ill let you know how that turns out.

Got a conformation e-mail from the CMP today saying that were sending my order to the sales dept. Hopefully it won't take 60 days to get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orlando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No FFL involved, it is shipped directly to your home
Get the Service grade, either HRA or SA . </div></div>

Can you explain how this works? If you don't have a C&R liscense, I thought the Gun Control Act of 1986 limited non-FFL transfers to 1898 and older.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orlando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No FFL involved, it is shipped directly to your home
Get the Service grade, either HRA or SA . </div></div>

Can you explain how this works? If you don't have a C&R liscense, I thought the Gun Control Act of 1986 limited non-FFL transfers to 1898 and older.

</div></div>

CMP was created by Congressional Charter and can ship direct to you.
You must meet the qualifications and pass background check.
Its all on their website

Orlando - I will do some looking - I did not realize that. Thanks for the info.

Casey

Got an e-mail from both the CMP and Fed-ex today saying my rifle shipped today! From reciept of order to shipment took 35 days. I can't wait to get home this weekend and check it out and shoot it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got an e-mail from both the CMP and Fed-ex today saying my rifle shipped today! From reciept of order to shipment took 35 days. I can't wait to get home this weekend and check it out and shoot it!</div></div>

Make sure you Post 'em up. Im working on refinishing my stock, its coming along nicely, not professional but nice.

Well I'm pretty happy with it. It's a USGI stock but it's a good one that seems to fit pretty tight and it's not too beat up. The metal is in really good shape with just a few worn areas on the corners. Its all HRA except the bolt and oprod which are both SA. The barrel is like new, bright, shiny and slick! Here are some shitty iPhone pics
bd140902.jpg

7a21dea5.jpg

87d5891a.jpg

You should be thrilled with that rifle. These are some of the best Garands CMP has had.
Congrats

Oh I'm tickled to death with it! I'm gonna shoot it a little bit tomorrow to prove it but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a real shooter with a bore like that.

Okay well I think for them most part I am finished with the modifications to my shooter, I mean after a while Ill try the stock again but here is the finished product, now Im off to reloading to see what works best, Ill try to get a range report next weekend for ya'll. Sorry for the wait.

100_1791.jpg

100_1792.jpg

100_1795.jpg

My 1/45 WW2 field grade wasn't the prettiet sight, but I traded the stock for a new CMP walnut stock set, and replaced the barrel with a new Criterion in .308. The Garand Guy swapped all my period incorrect parts with the correct ones, and put on one of his hard chrome relined gas cylinders. Now she is ready for the range!
[img:center]
28ac37b9.jpg
[/img]
deb220cd.jpg
[/img]
48b76a8f.jpg
[/img]
b49de919.jpg
[/img]

Thats why I dont understand why people take the chance on mail order Field Grades
Much cheaper to spend $100 more on a Service Grade than have a Field Grade rebuilt

My .308 Garand cost me $800, while the ones the CMP are selling for $1000 (not including shipping). A Field Grade is more likely to get you a WW2 rifle with parts that are more valuable. Yes they are rebuilds, and they are worn, but you can get parts to trade for other parts that you need.

You purchased a 308 barrel, had it installed/finished reamed and reparked the rifle for $270?

I swapped my FG stock for a new CPM stock, an even exchange with someone on the CMP forum. I had a new Criterion .308 barrel furnished and installed, my gas cylinder exchanged for a refurbed hard chrome lined one, and had all of my non-correct parts swapped out for parts correctly match my Jan 1945 SA receiver. The Garand Guy also swapped out all the new stock hardware with hardware that matched the darker black finish that my receiver still retains. He repaired my bullet guide which did not allow the en bloc clips to latch in place easily, fitted my new stock which only required a little grinding on the rear hand guard since the contour of the Criterion barrel was slightly different from the original barrel, and repaired my loose rear sight aperture. My Criterion barrel matched the existing hardware, so no re-park was necessary. Yes, my cost was $300 for everything that the Garand Guy did. Delivered it to him in person, and waited for the work to be done; thus no shipping costs.

I bought my Garand with the intention of converting it to .308 right away, so it made sense not to spent the extra $100 on a SG. There is no doubt that you can score really nice SGs mail order, but the chances of getting a WW2 era SG are far more remote. The FGs tend to come with more desirable swappable parts, but aren't as nice looking as a SG that you might get.