• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CO Rifle Club (CRC) Long Range Precision Rifle

Re: CO Rifle Club (CRC) Long Range Precision Rifle

We are back on for this Saturday. Might be a little chilly in the morning so come prepared. Set-up 9ish, start 10 am sharp. 48 rounds total. Come by and check out my son's new Burris MTAC 6.5-20x50. New entry level ($699) long range scope from Burris. MIL/MIL with the same reticle as the Steiner scopes. See you all there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in. </div></div>

We should carpool.

And for those to whom this applies, i.e., CRC members, assisting with match set up and tear down counts against your CRC work bond. Just have RJ or myself sign off on your work bond card.

See y'all this Saturday.
K2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good, wanna pick me up? </div></div>

ummmm, no.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for those to whom this applies, i.e., CRC members, assisting with match set up and tear down counts against your CRC work bond. Just have RJ or myself sign off on your work bond card.

See y'all this Saturday.
K2</div></div>
That answers a ? I had and may influence next years decision with the latest round of BS from the AGC BOD .
Be there Sat .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for those to whom this applies, i.e., CRC members, assisting with match set up and tear down counts against your CRC work bond. Just have RJ or myself sign off on your work bond card.

See y'all this Saturday.
K2</div></div>

Look forward to shooting this match for the first time this Saturday and meeting you, RJ, as well as others in the Colorado Sniper's Hide community.

I'm a CRC member and it will be nice to get the work bond sign-off!

BTW, speaking of the CRC, seems like this match never gets mentioned on the CRC website - it's certainly not there now. Is the match on a CRC shit list?

CU Saturday.

I made sure I pissed much of the CRC community off on Saturday at the board meeting and by sitting with RJ I made sure they knew, "i'm with him"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for those to whom this applies, i.e., CRC members, assisting with match set up and tear down counts against your CRC work bond. Just have RJ or myself sign off on your work bond card.

See y'all this Saturday.
K2</div></div>

Look forward to shooting this match for the first time this Saturday and meeting you, RJ, as well as others in the Colorado Sniper's Hide community.

BTW, speaking of the CRC, seems like this match never gets mentioned on the CRC website - it's certainly not there now. Is the match on a CRC shit list?

CU Saturday.

</div></div>

Starbuck, Looking forward to meeting you. Definitely introduce yourself and we'll BS!

Where are you looking on the CRC website where we are not listed?

We are on the schedule here:
http://crci.org/Event%20Schedule/tabid/610/Default.aspx

and our match description is here:
http://crci.org/Types%20of%20Shooting/tabid/1822/Default.aspx

See you Saturday!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made sure I pissed much of the CRC community off on Saturday at the board meeting and by sitting with RJ I made sure they knew, "i'm with him"... </div></div>

LOL

The BOD and silhouette range director love us. We just quietly have our match every month and send all the money to CRC. No drama.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made sure I pissed much of the CRC community off on Saturday at the board meeting and by sitting with RJ I made sure they knew, "i'm with him"... </div></div>

LOL

The BOD and silhouette range director love us. We just quietly have our match every month and send all the money to CRC. No drama. </div></div>

Your or Frank getting any discussion on steel at the KD range?

Fritz and I will be out there around 8'ish to check zero and help set up.

Yes, in front of all steel is fine as long as it is on the berm like in the divots. Steel on the KD was no problem per the board present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made sure I pissed much of the CRC community off on Saturday at the board meeting and by sitting with RJ I made sure they knew, "i'm with him"... </div></div>

LOL

The BOD and silhouette range director love us. We just quietly have our match every month and send all the money to CRC. No drama. </div></div>

Your or Frank getting any discussion on steel at the KD range?

Fritz and I will be out there around 8'ish to check zero and help set up.

</div></div>

From the Club President "I don't want to encourage it, but I can't find a reason not to let members shoot steel on the high power range. If done, the steel must be placed in the middle of the berm where bullets impact from shooting at the high-power targets."

We are GTG!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, in front of all steel is fine as long as it is on the berm like in the divots. Steel on the KD was no problem per the board present. </div></div>

That's great. Glad to hear a first hand account from the big cheese. Thanks for bringing it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for those to whom this applies, i.e., CRC members, assisting with match set up and tear down counts against your CRC work bond. Just have RJ or myself sign off on your work bond card.

See y'all this Saturday.
K2</div></div>

CU Saturday.

</div></div>

Starbuck, Looking forward to meeting you. Definitely introduce yourself and we'll BS!

Where are you looking on the CRC website where we are not listed?

We are on the schedule here:
http://crci.org/Event%20Schedule/tabid/610/Default.aspx

and our match description is here:
http://crci.org/Types%20of%20Shooting/tabid/1822/Default.aspx

See you Saturday!</div></div>

Crap, I sure missed that one. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got room for a new guy, with incomplete dope on my rifle? Like to come out, just signed up at CRC also. Anything I can bring to help out? </div></div>

You are more than welcome to shoot. Shoot me a PM if you need help with your dope. If you have your velocity and scope height, we can get you very close. We have everything we need. :)

Smchop, I am going to try to make it to this one too. My 308 might not be ready so I will be shooting a new load of 75 AMAX's in the 223. I have a ballistic app that we can get you close with, and I can even take the cronograph if you don't have a velocity.Best way to get good dope is to shoot anyhow.

Looks like we are in the same town if you want to carpool.PM me and we'll talk.

If anyone could give me better directions to get out there I would appreciate it! Put the address into google maps and I didn't get very clear ones. I will be coming up I-25 from the Denver area

Looking forward to shooting the match and meeting you all tomorrow! We still on, despite snow? Sure hope so.

CHop sent you a PM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We still on, despite snow? Sure hope so.</div></div>

snow schmoo

Just got my gear together and an old super sniper scope mounted up. Had an issue with my scope but did not want to skip the match. I will be there hopefully around 9 and will head over to the range to sight in if anyone needs a member to take them over. I will be in a white 98gmc pickup with a topper on it. Dont forget your insulated coveralls.

Fun time today fellas...other than finishing at 5 o'clock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and Just a Thought,

You can probably run 2 relays about 1.5 apart. Once the first shooter on the 1st relay finishes the 1st 400m target, you can probably start relay 3 (with 4 spotting) and run it that way finishing a bit sooner, or at least getting more in.

It goes fast, but with 4 relays, you can easily manage two shooting at the same time for a bit. </div></div>

This.

Would work as long as you have even relays

Early/late start might work if you start at 8 the latest, but with tis many peeps, tough call. Something has to change though. Maybe less people, less BS going on...

Only other options are to cut off on number of participants, or add targets. Both not very approvable...but late finish is lame. FFT

Regards,
DT

Hoser ran into this problem at the PD match. We now run 2 starting times. One at 9 which is limited to 20 shooters and one at noon. You have to sign up via email for the early start. It works well.

Give Rj and Ken a chance. They will figure it out. Running a match is alot of work and they do a great job.

Yea leaving at 5 is late but we got to finish the match.

Congrats to Hoser, great shooting.

See everyone next month hopefully at a different time.

Dino

No problem on the comments positive and negative. None of us want to be out there for that length of time. And, we're fortunate to have a laboratory club that has worked through some of these ussue in the Pueblo West guys. And, we received a good amount of feedback yesterday that we can incorporate for the Feb. '12 match moving forward.

So, here's what we are thinking at this point. Two significant changes:

#1: go to the "two matches within a match" format. Tentative plan would be to start 21 shooters at 9AM -- goal is to finish around Noon. Second start time would be Noon. Sure, that second group may not start until 12:15 or 12:30PM but that way we are assured everyone is there and ready to go at Noon. We will continue to use and benefit from what has worked at Pueblo. Heck, the entire match concept came from Hoser and others' trials and experiences. Likely would have 3 squads of 7 shooters -- should be about optimal.

#2: Instead of shooting 4 rounds of 12 targets; we are considering adding one target to each berm. So, we would have 3 rounds of 16 targets for the same total round count of 48.
This is RJ's idea and I think a damn good one for speeding things along. Again, once we have a squad in position, ROs, etc. we move well. It's the inter-squad periods where we lose the time. This move maximizes the time efficiency when we are being efficient. We want to keep at least 48 rounds so there's enough shooting to justify the drive out to Byers for those of us coming from a distance (which is pretty much everyone except for GaryP!).

So, that's what is on the table beginning with the Feb. match. We'll post additional details of how the email reservation system will work. And, we obviously need to get some more targets. Go ProPlate...

One other thought: I believe this will be the best way to accomodate the numbers we are seeing and increases we may get as the weather improves. Many folks have suggested overlapping squads, i.e., parallelizing the work flow. I'm the one who has a problem with that as I believe it would be too complex. Heck, we have enough scoring/spotting issues keeping a linear format. Let's first try to make the linear format more efficient. It is Queuing Theory 101 stuff.

But, no one believes that a 8AM-5PM day is where we want to be. We'll get that fixed for sure!
Thanks for hanging in there during these growing pains.
Ken and RJ

Re: CRC LRPR Jan 2012 Match Results

Well, what to say... First of all, Ken and I are humbled by the turnout and positive response we have received from our match. Thank you to everyone who helped set-up and tear down. We knew we would have to go to two start times at some point, but we didn't think it would be at a January match with an expect high temp of 40 F. Our apologies for the late finish, we understand a few had to leave early because of other obligations. Congratulations to Tom F and his new match record score of 460 (I'm adding another dog at 550!).

We have already been brainstorming ideas to expedite the match throughput. Initial ideas are increasing the number of shooters per string (7). Ideas also include having three strings instead of four but adding another prairie dog target at each range to keep the round count where it is now. We will re-examine running two squads at one time again, but in my mind, it is a logistical nightmare.

As a quick side note, although we will do everything in our power to avoid it in the future, if you do have to leave for some reason, please remove your score sheet from the clipboard and get it to a match director. The scoring is completed by the number of shooters in a squad and when we have more scoresheets than shooters, the scores can be recorded incorrectly very easily.

Thank you all for the patience and support. Hope to see you again next month!

1 Hoser Heavy Rifle 460 1st Heavy Rifle
2 Ken K Heavy Rifle 410 2nd Heavy Rifle
3 RJ D Heavy Rifle 400 3rd Heavy Rifle
3 Fritz A Heavy Rifle 400 3rd Heavy Rifle
3 James V Heavy Rifle 400 3rd Heavy Rifle
6 Chuck W Heavy Rifle 390
7 Chris M Heavy Rifle 385
8 Dino D Heavy Rifle 370
9 Kevin U Heavy Rifle 360
9 Mike K Heavy Rifle 360 1st 308
11 Greg V Heavy Rifle 355
12 Bill S Heavy Rifle 350
13 Dorgan T Heavy Rifle 340 2nd 308
14 Manuel K Heavy Rifle 330 3rd 308
15 Greg F Light Rifle 320 1st Light Rifle
15 Chris B Heavy Rifle 320
17 Harry B Light Rifle 290 2nd Light Rifle
17 Gary P Heavy Rifle 290
19 Tom P Heavy Rifle 280
20 Rick B Heavy Rifle 270
20 Stan S Heavy Rifle 270
20 Eric M Semi-Auto 270 1st Semi-Auto
23 Frank S Heavy Rifle 260
24 Jeff H Heavy Rifle 255
24 Lil' Bob Light Rifle 255 3rd Light Rifle
26 Kristen S Light Rifle 250
26 Brandon M Heavy Rifle 250
28 Steve M Heavy Rifle 240
29 Dave S Heavy Rifle 230
29 John T Semi-Auto 230 2nd Semi-Auto
31 Mike B Heavy Rifle 220
32 Sam P Heavy Rifle 215
33 Big Bob Semi-Auto 210 3rd Semi-Auto
33 Bill B Light Rifle 210
35 Robert E Heavy Rifle 200
36 Dave K Light Rifle 180
37 Steven B Heavy Rifle 170
37 Lane D Light Rifle 140
39 Wade K Heavy Rifle 100

Prairie Dog at 550, 4x:
Perfect Runs: Greg F, Ken K, Tom F (2), Fritz A, RJ D (2), Chuck W

Thanks to Ken and RJ for another great match. Good to see a few new shooters.

Nice shooting Hoser!

I had a real good time yesterday. Thanks for putting these matches on. Dino and I know how hard it is to be Match Staff and a shooter.

I was really hoping to make it out this weekend to observe for future dates to have a better idea of how these work, as I have never done a comp before. I read through the first post with description multiple times but still have a few unanswered questions since I was unable to make it this weekend.

My main question is how each string works, with 12 targets per string and a max of 15 seconds per target does this make each string 3 minutes total? Or is there time in between each target for adjusting elevation/windage and reloading? My main concern is with a stock remington rifle no DBM setup will I have time to single load or load the mag of the rifle, or would I be under the clock for next target as soon as time from previous target expires?

I hope this is not a stupid question, I had every intention of making the trip to observe but just couldn't do it. I would like to participate in the next event but might just come up to observe. I would be greatful for any advice that might make my first event easier.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My main question is how each string works, with 12 targets per string and a max of 15 seconds per target does this make each string 3 minutes total? Or is there time in between each target for adjusting elevation/windage and reloading? My main concern is with a stock remington rifle no DBM setup will I have time to single load or load the mag of the rifle, or would I be under the clock for next target as soon as time from previous target expires?

I hope this is not a stupid question, I had every intention of making the trip to observe but just couldn't do it. I would like to participate in the next event but might just come up to observe. I would be greatful for any advice that might make my first event easier. </div></div>

Not a stupid question at all.

When its your turn to shoot the buzzer goes off. You have 15 seconds to shoot. After you shoot the range officer goes to the next guy in line and then he shoots at that same target. And then again for everyone else in your relay.

While they are shooting you find the next target and make whatever scope corrections you might need. Then the RO gets back to you and you again have 15 seconds.

Basically you have one 15 second attempt at each target.

What Hoser said...

Think of it similar to how a Trap station works.

If we have seven shooters in a squad, shooter 1 shots target 1, shooter 2 shoots target 1, etc. down thru shooter 7. Then the whole squad moves to target 2 and repeats. So, in between your shots, you have a minute+ to get on the next target, dial new dope (when required), get a wind read, scratch yourself (my favorite)...

Given this format, that's why the steel that works for our match or Hoser's steel dog match has to be a certain type, i.e., quick resetting. Another round is coming at the target in as little as 5-7 seconds after the last (but not from you, the guy next to you). Standard swinging steel targets that are commonly used in 3-gun matches (e.g., MGM flashers) come to rest too slowly for this format.
Maybe we should post a video of a portion of one of our matches at some point.

There are plenty of folks that have used or use single shot rifles at this match at no competitive disadvantage whatsoever. In fact, if RJ didn't have an ammo issue yesterday, he probably would have been giving Hoser a run (with a single shot Savage). Granted, Hoser still would have looked cooler with his AI AX.

(The only time penalty we're considering is if it takes you more than 15 seconds to get down into your prone position -- inside joke directed at our shooters who have been doing CrossFit recently and have hamstrings you could use as guitar strings)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Granted, Hoser still would have looked cooler with his AI AX. </div></div>

Chicks dig me.

Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it. That makes sense and is logical now that I think of it like a trap range. Hope I can make it next month and give it a try. First I will need to load some different loads for my 243 as my 75 vmax coyote load might be a couple hundred fps too fast.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(The only time penalty we're considering is if it takes you more than 15 seconds to get down into your prone position -- inside joke directed at our shooters who have been doing CrossFit recently and have hamstrings you could use as guitar strings) </div></div>

FYI: Good Mornings are NOT actually good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we should post a video of a portion of one of our matches at some point. </div></div>

Chris (www.3gunstuff.com) made this from Pueblo's match. I saw him playing with the camera yesterday. Maybe we have one coming soon also (requesting Linkin Park - Bleed it Out), but for now, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Fsq5C68qA

Simple solution re: different wind for different relays.

Take the top 2 or 3 from each relay, each category, and run them all on a relay together for a shoot-off. The match itself becomes a qualifier, the shoot-off the actual determining factor for the match win itself. Everyone starts the shootoff relay with a score of zero, regardless of what they shot in the qualifier.

10 shots. If there are still ties after 10 shots, go to sudden death, miss and out format, to break final ties.

Those that think competitive shooting is like getting your roots and nails done, that is, an appointment at your convenience, can go ahead and go home when done shooting. The serious shooters can stick around and participate in the shootoff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple solution re: different wind for different relays.

Take the top 2 or 3 from each relay, each category, and run them all on a relay together for a shoot-off. The match itself becomes a qualifier, the shoot-off the actual determining factor for the match win itself. Everyone starts the shootoff relay with a score of zero, regardless of what they shot in the qualifier.

10 shots. If there are still ties after 10 shots, go to sudden death, miss and out format, to break final ties.

Those that think competitive shooting is like getting your roots and nails done, that is, an appointment at your convenience, can go ahead and go home when done shooting. The serious shooters can stick around and participate in the shootoff. </div></div>

Thanks, but: nobody has raised a concern with different wind for different relays. We are trying to economize time, not add an additional double-elimination shoot-off bracket to determine the CRC LRPR Monthly Champion of the World. Although, I consider myself a "serious shooter", the match directors have families and lives outside of shooting and we have no interest in being at the range for 12 hours running a match every month much like the casual, weekend shooter looking for a fun, local, monthly match. It's not the National Prairie Dog Shooting Championships. Thanks, though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's not the National Prairie Dog Shooting Championships. Thanks, though... </div></div>

Yea but it could be
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's not the National Prairie Dog Shooting Championships. Thanks, though... </div></div>

Yea but it could be
wink.gif
</div></div>

Are you volunteering to be the match director or are you just volunteering my time? I'd MUCH rather just show up and shoot.

Here is some video.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mVu8pjPjJXY&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mVu8pjPjJXY&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Wow I have never seen so many suppressors in one place! Nor have I seen a shooting line that long before, I am kinda wishing I moved back to Denver instead of Dallas.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow I have never seen so many suppressors in one place!</div></div>

We love our Thunderbeast suppressors here in Colorado!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow I have never seen so many suppressors in one place! Nor have I seen a shooting line that long before, I am kinda wishing I moved back to Denver instead of Dallas.....</div></div>

You can find shoots like this every week in and around CO there are a lot opportunities to do this.

Nice video Chris. I'm sorry I had to leave early, I would have liked to meet you (finally).