• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cold weather leggings/tights for runnung

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I am looking for opinions on leggings or tights for running in cold weather. I need something that is comfortable when running distance in cold weather. I dont think I want anything too warm b/c I am usually hot in most weather when active. I would like some more protection than shorts and I hate running in warm up style loose fitting pants. I also will wear these mountain biking. Thanks for any recomendations.

Re: cold weather leggings/tights for runnung

Under Armour has a whole line that would meet your needs. There are also other manufacturers of similar base covering.

Thank you, I have seen them. I was looking for what people have used and recommend or dont recommend.

Not sure what you mean by cold, but I run from -20C up. I don't wear leggings for runs, or biking. I warm up inside, with some circuit stuff, or on the elliptical before heading out, and wear warm tops, hats, and windproof pants. Works really well.

If I am hiking when it is cold, I'll wear merino wool long johns, but I wouldn't want to run in them.

What works for you might be different, but assuming you are a dude, please don't wear tights.
    wink.gif

The weather I will be in is from around -20c to 0c then Ill be in shorts. I just dont like wearing loose pants when running.

I would just get cannondale or trek or some sort of bike pants. They are usually made without the crotch pad and you slip them over your bike shorts. They are light, warm, and kind of perfect for running done it many times although I hate running.

Get polyester instead of nylon. Poly feels warm when you put it on and repels rather than absorbs moisture.

Supplex is a soft-handed poly weave that is stretchy and also blocks a bit of wind. There are a few companies that make running/cycling tights from this material. My go-to multi-condition tight.

Power Stretch will take you well below freezing, but is a bit warm for variable conditions. It has to be pretty cold for me to run in this unless it's just a recover jog and I'm not getting really warmed up from the workout. Definitely a no if running hills. Better to be cool-cold in the first half-mile than dripping then freezing in your own sweat.

Hope this helps.

John

I tried several brands and use the "SWIX" brand from LL Bean.they're primarily designed for XC-Country skiing but work well for both running and biking in cold weather. Check the US Website for their complete line.

Thanks all, I live about 20 miles from LL Bean and will swing in and check them out.