• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Colt New Agent or EMP?

PKRobbins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Southern MO
I am looking at 3 different compact 1911s and have to choose one. I would love to buy all 3 but that isn't gonna happen.
Colt New Agent 9mm
Colt New Agent 45ACP
Springfield EMP 40SW
All 3 guns are used but not carried. Anybody with 1st hand experience with these pistols? I'm not a caliber sycophant. I have 45ACP down to 38SPL in the vault. Leaning towards the EMP for the sights. I just can't see carrying a gun with a trough sight but I don't guess it'll matter much at bad breath range.

Re: Colt New Agent or EMP?

dollar for dollar you will get a better pistol with the springfield.

I personally would go with a EMP in 9mm.

recently had the oportunity to shoot an emp in a bug gun match and i feel its the better firearm. real sites are better than a groove any day

It's tough not to like the Colt. Personally, I don't like the EMP. Maybe the first one I shot left a bad taste in my mouth, or maybe the aftermarket support for it is limited as compared the bigger frame stuff.

Considering the colt has no sights, this should be a no brainer.

That said, the EMP .40 is steel, and is thus heavier than the 9mm, defeating the entire purpose of the EMP.

So I'd pass on all of them, and get an EMP 9mm (in fact, that's what I carry).

A full size 1911 action will never be sufficiently reliable in 9mm--that's where the EMP comes in. If you absolutely must have the colt, get it in .45, and preferably, get the defender instead of the new agent so that you can have sights.

My everyday carry, when I'm not carrying a 642 revolver, is the EMP 9mm with a 10-8 rear sight, stock front night sight, grip tape on the front strap, and a 10-8 flat trigger. It's probably my favorite carry gun ever. Not quite as thin as the HK P7, but softer shooting, and in any event, the gun is flatter and easier to carry than a Glock or other double stack.

The New Agent is cool, I had one but it was a piece of shit. They had some recalls when the first came out. I found out about it after the first trip to the range. It would not lock back after the last round because the slide release/lock wasn't machined properly to engage. Furthermore if you took a close look at the barrel you can could tell the smith went at it with a dremmel tool or the like for fitting then chromed it. The slide to frame fit was not to good either. As long as the bug were worked out I'd imagine it's a fine pistol if not, avoid it like the plague. If you decide to go for the New Agent, get the SN checked to see if it was part of the recall.

By the way, don't discount the trench sights they work and are fairly accurate, but like you said it might not matter at bad breath range.

Just curious, have you compared the SA micro-compact .45 to the EMP. They are essentially the same size. I have one and love it.

Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mschloss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, have you compared the SA micro-compact .45 to the EMP. They are essentially the same size. I have one and love it.

Matt </div></div>

They are not essentially the same size. The microcompact has a 3.5" barrel and a full-length action (because it's a .45).

The EMP has a shortened action and a 3" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The microcompact has a 3.5" barrel and a full-length action (because it's a .45).

</div></div>

You sure about that? SA's site lists it as a 3". I'll measure mine when I get home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The microcompact has a 3.5" barrel and a full-length action (because it's a .45).

</div></div>

You sure about that? SA's site lists it as a 3". I'll measure mine when I get home.

</div></div>

That is interesting. I always thought they were the same size as an officer's model. If not, then they will fit the same holster as an EMP.

(edit)

Apparently the gun I was thinking of is called the "ultra compact."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

</div></div>

That is interesting. I always thought they were the same size as an officer's model. If not, then they will fit the same holster as an EMP.

(edit)

Apparently the gun I was thinking of is called the "ultra compact." </div></div>
I think that's the case Downzero. Ultra compact is the Officer's. Kimber skips that size altogether.

The primary difference betweent the EMP and Micro Compact as near as I can tell, is the length difference that was lopped out of the center of the grip. Sort of like chopping and channeling a street rod. And I'm not exactly sure how much different there is from the front of the front strap to the back of the backstrap.

Thanks for the replies. I went with the EMP the wight doesn't bother me a good holster helps a lot in that regard. I put some money down on the New Agent 9mm while I was there though. I just liked the gun. It looked well put together and I know the previous owner, he hadn't run more that 100 rds through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Para Warthog? Double stack magazine gives you 10 rounds </div></div>

Junk. Look at the STI offerings for carry guns if you want a double stack/single action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Para Warthog? Double stack magazine gives you 10 rounds </div></div>

The last 3 Paras I got my hands on didn't work out of the box.

I am knocking on wood right now because I must be the luckiest guy when it comes to guns!!! I have two Glock Gen4s and a Warthog that have never given me any trouble. I shoot one of the Gen4s weekly(duty gun) and the Warthog and Glock30 every other to every 3 weeks. The Warthog also feeds anything I put in it which did surprise me

I put almost 1k rounds through a Colt New Agent in 45acp. One of the first ones delivered to dealers. Had to buy the display, as the 3 still in the boxes were full of issues as described above. The one I got was flawless however. Had this idea that I could run it in place of a different BUG. Couldn't hit accurately enough with it in all the round I put through it. The lack of sights was staggering.

I'd vote EMP. Or Colt Defender. Or Kimber Ultra. Something with sights. Its amazing how completely impossible it was without having anything to reference off of.

Sig anounced last week or a couple weeks ago the P938 should be a few hundred less than either the EMP or colt offerings..new cared for the caliber of the p238 but I shoot it extremely well.

_

<span style="color: #FF0000">Short answer</span>:

I currently own Colt, Kimber, & SA 1911s.

I've owned (past tense) multiples of each. Not to mention the myriad of non-Colt/Kimber/SA ones too...

I carry a Colt daily. I'm considering using a newly acquired Kimber Ultra Covert II as a truck gun to replace my S&W, after I see how she holds up at the range and in next months 3-gun. I'm not at all fond of SA, not in the same league as Colt & Kimber in my experience, both bang-for-the-buck and overall.

I have yet to own a Sig 1911, but I own other Sigs and I'm wouldn't consider them at all for compact 1911 replacements.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Shorter answer</span>:

Colt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at 3 different compact 1911s and have to choose one. I would love to buy all 3 but that isn't gonna happen.
Colt New Agent 9mm
Colt New Agent 45ACP
Springfield EMP 40SW
All 3 guns are used but not carried. Anybody with 1st hand experience with these pistols? I'm not a caliber sycophant. I have 45ACP down to 38SPL in the vault. Leaning towards the EMP for the sights. I just can't see carrying a gun with a trough sight but I don't guess it'll matter much at bad breath range. </div></div>

I know its not one you listed but this looks like a good deal for a compact 45 with night sights

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Operator1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a like new Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 Cal that I recently traded for but I just found an Ultra Raptor so I can only keep one so sadly this must go. It comes with eveything from the factory, box, paperwork ect. It has a very light scratch on the front of the slide and very minimal wear. It had 120 rds through it and runs great. This is the internal extractor model. The night sights are very bright and the gun is in like new condition. I will also include a full size 7 rd spare mag and a set of Houge wrap around grips as well.
I will take <span style="text-decoration: line-through">$800.00</span>$750.00 shipped to your FFL. Sorry no trades on this one. Thanks
IMG_4566.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">LINK TO FOR SALE THREAD</span>

Edit: Just read through the thread and saw you already bought an EMP

I woud go with Colt over Springfield .

But that is just me .

Springfield are ok I just don't like them , no reason I just cant seem to warm up to the Springer , I did own one for a wile it ran fine never had any issue's with it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nefarious79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig anounced last week or a couple weeks ago the P938 should be a few hundred less than either the EMP or colt offerings..new cared for the caliber of the p238 but I shoot it extremely well. </div></div>

I bought my fiancee a P238 for her to carry and that little thing is very accurate. At 15 yards and in, everything is POA/POI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I bought my fiancee a P238 for her to carry and that little thing is very accurate. At 15 yards and in, everything is POA/POI </div></div>

HAHAHA, WIN!

Excellent post, needed the early Sunday afternoon laugh.

You should get Sig to sponsor you and make an ad out of that:

"How accurate is your Sig P238?

Dawg, dat ding is VARY ACCURIT. Anyting in front of my face, I aimz, and I hit it!"

I have handled the New Agents with the gutter sights and did not like them. I don’t see where you could take an accurate shot if needed (head or hostage). If they have regular sight I would go with the new agent in 45. If they have the gutter sight I would go with the EMP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I bought my fiancee a P238 for her to carry and that little thing is very accurate. At 15 yards and in, everything is POA/POI </div></div>

HAHAHA, WIN!

Excellent post, needed the early Sunday afternoon laugh.

You should get Sig to sponsor you and make an ad out of that:

"How accurate is your Sig P238?

Dawg, dat ding is VARY ACCURIT. Anyting in front of my face, I aimz, and I hit it!" </div></div>

I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or just making a "funny". The P238 is quite accurate for being so small. I was thinking about getting one to wear iwb for the summer days

P238 is the worst jammomatic I have ever seen. Literally, the worst. I don't think I ever saw it successfully feed even a single cartridge.

I don't know about the Colts, but the EMP is correctly scaled for the 9mm cartridge, not a 45 dimension pistol firing 9mms.

The EMP is an impressive gun. If I were to want to cut the number of rounds I carry in half, drop my reliability a few notches, and add a manual safety to the mix, I'd certainly look at the EMP over my current Glock 19.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P238 is the worst jammomatic I have ever seen. Literally, the worst. I don't think I ever saw it successfully feed even a single cartridge. </div></div>

Again I go back to what I said before, I would not praise any gun I've had problems with and the P238 has not given me any yet. It is shot about every two weeks. It's hard for the lady to come out every week so it get's shot on average every two. From personal use of my two Glock Gen4s, Warthog, and now the P238 I have never had any problems with any of them.

I carry an EMP40 off duty, being so short I am amazed at the accuracy of this little pistol. Its just as accurate as the full size sig 226s in 40 we carry on duty.

Only gripe with it is that it had a little bite to it. I ended up putting on g10 horned grips and had the front strap checkered, both of which made a big difference in keep the pistol in my hand.