• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comb height curiosity, or is my face geometry just wonky?

Clob McStrunk

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2020
Chattanooga
I have some form of cheek riser on the majority of my traditional-stock long guns, have never thought much about it, but in setting up my newest rig I got to ponderin'.

Given that there is always going to be at least an inch of additional height above the centerline of the barrel when peeking through an optic, why is the comb always so low?

Is it that most manufacturers want to keep a certain look to their stocks, fit be damned?

Is everyone else's face built so line of sight is much closer to correct than mine is?

Is everyone just lifting their head to fit the scope and being content with unstable head placement?

Is a donut with no hole just a danish?

A. The bolt has to have room to come out.

B. Scopes weren't always a thing.

C. Mfg of mass produced guns especially are slow to change with the times. The "masses" of people usually don't know any better either.

Reactions: Modoc
1 fn size fits all. Get a chasis stock. Why I have una abashed fucking hatred for a traditional stock.

I have a similar problem. Getting a repeatable NPA behind a rifle is a frustrating process. I settled on MPA chassis as they are closest to what I need but I have tried wood stocks, AICS, McMillan, Cadex and others.

I agree with others here that a chassis would help a lot even though it may not be perfect.

Traditional rifle stocks are set up for iron sights- even if the rifle doesn’t come with sights and will only ever be shot with a magnified optic.

1 fn size fits all. Get a chasis stock. Why I have una abashed fucking hatred for a traditional stock.
chassis stock is all fun -n- games
untill you have to do a serious bushwack
and its a snag magnet :LOL:

It's not you. Every rifle I have needs a riser. (6'2)

My AK basically has a chin rest stock even with a low mount red dot. We ain't shooting irons no more. Even shooting irons on that bad boy made me chin rest

And can we talk LOP? FFS every model seems to be the lowlight LOP special. Big Bois (with monkey arms) need love too!

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
It's not you. Every rifle I have needs a riser. (6'2)

My AK basically has a chin rest stock even with a low mount red dot. We ain't shooting irons no more. Even shooting irons on that bad boy made me chin rest

And can we talk LOP? FFS every model seems to be the lowlight LOP special. Big Bois (with monkey arms) need love too!
Larping in plate carriers is all the rage. If the lop is too short, you just need to add another plate to your carrier…

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980